Our valued sponsor

Zoho launches privacy-centered browser ‘Ulaa’ to challenge Google, Microsoft and Apple

Well, I have nothing against Zoho – on the contrary, e.g. their e-mail service respects privacy.

Nevertheless, after looking at Ulaa - Private, Secure, and Superfast Browser I am deeply disappointed: almost no technical information – I had to dig deeply into the blog to confirm my hypothesis that this was just another Chromium fork; no source code visibly available and lack of the information about developers (but a lot of marketing bulls**t); no serious discussion / comparison with another privacy-focused browsers...
Let's wait and see...
This is already DOA
What do you mean? Dead on Arrival? Could you elaborate a little bit about the background?

Reactions: troubled soul
guys, I don't know what you'd expect... no matter how imperfect these tools are I'm personally happy that people at least have some "less bad" options that are actively promoted and can reduce the blatant theft of private information mined during browsing the web
development of any solution that wouldn't be based on chromium or another existing core, the more open source, is two/three orders of magnitude more complicated and expensive and no matter how strong incentives we (users of this forum) see, it's probably not gonna happen (any soon)

guys, I don't know what you'd expect... no matter how imperfect these tools are I'm personally happy that people at least have some "less bad" options that are actively promoted and can reduce the blatant theft of private information mined during browsing the web
I don't think anyone was objecting to it. It just seems like a rather pointless browser to launch when it offers no advantage over existing browsers that do the same thing better.

development of any solution that wouldn't be based on chromium or another existing core, the more open source, is two/three orders of magnitude more complicated and expensive and no matter how strong incentives we (users of this forum) see, it's probably not gonna happen (any soon)
You're not framing our criticism correctly. The reason this browser is likely dead on arrival (outside of Zoho's most ardent fans) is it's competing against other, well-established browsers in the same niche of the market without any advantages. If they had picked another base, such as Firefox or WebKit, it could have been an advantage and something new and interesting on the market.

It would be great if Ulaa is successful and does what it says it'll do. As long as it's closed source, though, I wouldn't put any trust in it doing what it claims to do. Why trust Ulaa without being able to verify, when you can both trust and verify others?

Reactions: troubled soul
The reason this browser is likely dead on arrival (outside of Zoho's most ardent fans) is it's competing against other, well-established browsers in the same niche of the market without any advantages. If they had picked another base, such as Firefox or WebKit, it could have been an advantage and something new and interesting on the market.
fair enough
maybe I picked the less important part of your criticism
my point was we cannot expect much more
and the rest can be wrapped to "more freedom of choice is better then less"

Latest Threads