Our valued sponsor

A Review of Wise.com

Here is what happened to me when I used wise.com:

First I didn't know that wise did not allow bitcoin. I moved through Wise $10-100 K for bitcoin transactions in a personal account and told them that I was a freelancer. At a certain point, I noticed that my transfers were not coming in. Something like nine transfers failed. Eventually they shut down my account because they didn't know what I was doing and it probably didn't look like I was using it as a personal account. I decided to let them know that I was using it for bitcoin. With three weeks they refunded my transfers to my customers. I also received my money back within that time. I learned my lesson.

Here is what happened to me when I used wise.com:

First I didn't know that wise did not allow bitcoin. I moved through Wise $10-100 K for bitcoin transactions in a personal account and told them that I was a freelancer. At a certain point, I noticed that my transfers were not coming in. Something like nine transfers failed. Eventually they shut down my account because they didn't know what I was doing and it probably didn't look like I was using it as a personal account. I decided to let them know that I was using it for bitcoin. With three weeks they refunded my transfers to my customers. I also received my money back within that time. I learned my lesson.
You need to use something crypto friendly like advcash, skrill or Bankera ( I think)

Wow he got his money back! what a terrific EMI rof/%
He is lucky. They could do what EPB does to customers and hold onto his money for some time and earn free interest while at it. He went against his TOS, he didn't plan ahead and he quickly found out what he is doing won't fly with any reputable financial institution.
Wise is great, I don't know why people complain about them, feed them what they want, not what do you think is correct and you will be left alone.

I'm beginning to suspect that @JohnnyDoe doesn't like Wise. Does anyone else get that feeling?

That startling revelation aside, this looks like a positive review of Wise. They could've been faster with returning the money but all in all, customer violated the terms of service and the account was closed. Not much to add.

I'm beginning to suspect that @JohnnyDoe doesn't like Wise. Does anyone else get that feeling?
:) Me :)
But I share his attitude, in fact. BTW, I've experienced a story very similar to his one.
That startling revelation aside, this looks like a positive review of Wise. They could've been faster with returning the money but all in all, customer violated the terms of service and the account was closed. Not much to add.
Nevertheless, I agree with you at this point. You are completely right.

I guess that the core problem with Wise (and e.g. with Revolut, too) is that
– they are too big (and probably underpowered in resources) to handle all the agenda properly;
– too known not to attract very different people, sometimes definitely with really shady intentions...
As a result, you can simply have a bad luck quite often – when their AI (or underpowered staff) makes a false assumption or a mistake.

Last edited:
On the 4th year with Wise, have put about a million euro in total through them. Didn't face a single problem so far. Not even when I had to inform them that I made a restructure of our company setup and put a Swiss and UK LTD in there. They had questions, but all got answered and nothing but good so far.

Have you tried appealing? They reinstated my account after 3 weeks of appeal
You must really have put presure on them since they did that!

Hahaha. Just tried to be respectful and genuine. They are also people and could have had a bad day. If you try approaching them in a friendly and understanding way, you're increasing your chances for good outcome
I agree with you. the opposite is not working at all. But still you must have the right words in your toolbox.

Reactions: Forester
Read the many stories here and elsewhere
I've read them, most of the time they are involved in shady business or try to circumvent wise TOS.
that’s what I did when they closed my account. I asked beforehand what they wanted, provided it, they confirmed, I did exactly what I described and they closed the account.
You said yourself that you made up these supporting documents.

You need to provide some sort of Verifiable history with them. Let's give you an example, if they want a bank statement, don't photoshop it and call it a day, provide said bank statement.

Build your history first before attempting to open an account with these financial institutions, some countries have easier entry points to global banks than any other country, so go there and build your history and then utilize the documents that they provide you to open more and more bank accounts, and in each step of the way, you build yourself a good chain of verifiable SOF.

That's the right way to do things in 2023 and beyond.