Our valued sponsor

Alternative to VPN for Digital Nomad ? How to turn your home computer as proxy ?

troubled soul

Pro Member
Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Most Digital nomad use VPN for web access ...
What are the alternative for this ?
I thought like

Hey You can use your home computer as VPN/Proxy server.....

When You travel the world,

Your Laptop -> Home computer proxy/server -> Web

How to turn your home computer as proxy ?
what are the best software or solution for this ???

Thanks

Unless you have a static IP address, your home internet connection may change IP address at any point. There are solutions, though, such as using a dynamic DNS service or asking your ISP for a static IP.

If you don't want a VPN server running all the time on your computer, consider getting another piece of hardware for it. I think some routers have VPN server built into them but picking up an old computer, wiping it completely, and installing Linux and Wireguard on it is both cheap and easy (plenty of tutorials).

You could use one of those free dynamic DNS services if you have a dynamic IP on the VPN server. That way you can use a hostname on your client machine/smartphone and stay connected in case the IP does happen to change.

Instead of a router you may also consider an SBC (Single Board Computer). They are cheap and use very little power. (There are many alternatives to the Raspberry Pi if you look around. Shortages be damned!)

Reactions: troubled soul
What would be the advantages of this?

Single point of failure that is potentially thousands of miles away...

I guess it'd be semi-useful for accessing sites that are typically good at blocking VPNs. Many betting sites for example, are difficult to access.

I think the OP wanted to use his own gear on both ends.

If you have an Asus router, you can very easily enable the builtin VPN server with dynamic DNS embedded.

So then you only need to download any VPN client on your computer and connect to your router dynamic DNS address. You will be using your home connection as VPN exit.

Here is the official Asus guide: [VPN] How to set up a VPN server on ASUS router – OpenVPN | Official Support | ASUS USA

This is OpenVPN on easy mode for sure.

However, OpenVPN is old junk. Wireguard is faster, modern, and less lines of code (and thus less bugs).

Also, you're at the mercy of Asus to keep pushing out firmware updates. You are better off using something you will keep getting updates on forever (such as Linux).

Ive seen people do this with teamviewer. Yes I know, not really an ideal setup but it does work.

Lol! SMH

Seriously just set up Tailscale on your home computer as an exit node.
Done
Free, open source based on wireguard. super easy.
If you don't trust them you can even do self hosted. still easy

This is just Wireguard with a GUI on it.

At least they provide the source code. :)

Reactions: M4S
He asked for alternatives. I think using your own hardware has a lot of disadvantages and not many pros. I much rather use a VPS instead if you want a static IP.

I suggest you read his initial post again. The alternative he is referencing is using his home computer as a VPN/proxy router when away.

Say your residency is supposed to be Indonesia, but you are actually living in the US. Being able to route your internet connection via your cheap apartment in Indonesia keeps everything looking 100%. :)

There are public lists of the IPs of VPN companies. It's trivial for a bank or government, for instance, to know you are using a VPN if you are buying it from some random company.

Reactions: khinkali and M4S
I see 2 solutions.

One is to leave a computer at home working 24/7, and connect to it through Anydesk or Teamviewer.

The other is, again, to leave a computer at home working 24/7. Install Privoxy and RadminVPN on it, and install RadminVPN on the computer you're carrying with you too. Take the IP address RadminVPN gives you, add it in a browsers like Firefox, and you can use your home IP from your lap top, from that browser.

Still, both solutions require you to have a working computer at home that stays on 24/7. Though the first option will require a better computer, to get better speeds and connectivity. The second solution can be implemented with the crappiest computer/laptop/device in the world, and it will still work well.

Good luck