Our valued sponsor

phi303

Dec 12, 2022
Portugal
Visit site
As a non-US resident LLC owner (EU citizen & EU resident), I've been looking at multiple banks to setup an account with online (mainly from this list: US neo-banks List [For Non-Residents LLCs] )

The LLC is purely for personal investment/asset management (including some from crypto).

Because the banks are all setup for business activities, most of the time there is no suitable "Category" to select (Financial Services > Other appears to be the nearest in most cases...although I'm not providing any "Services").

In order to increase the likelihood of being accepted, I'm trying to figure out;

• Which are the most suitable/friendly banks or EMIs for this situation?
  • Any tips for what business category to choose?
  • Any tips for what to include (or exclude!) in the business / biz activities description?
  • Should I create a website/1-pager domain simply for box-ticking?

eg. would this be an OK description?
"The LLC is used to manage my personal investments/assets, including some from crypto. No products or services are offered."

Thanks

Reactions: MichelRippon989
It’s unlikely you will be accepted by any bank. You should try to setup a business to present to the banks.
Unsure how I would position it as business to present. Maybe I could frame it more as investments and trading? But I guess that probably has issues too...

Could you elaborate on the reason(s) why it is unlikely to be accepted?

Basically, I'd just like a bank account in the name of the LLC.

Thanks

Unsure how I would position it as business to present. Maybe I could frame it more as investments and trading? But I guess that probably has issues too...

Could you elaborate on the reason(s) why it is unlikely to be accepted?

Basically, I'd just like a bank account in the name of the LLC.

Thanks
Banks of this type don’t like companies used as personal investment vehicles.

Hmmm, and I thought getting the EIN was what would slow things down! Back to square one...

Is Trading (& Investing) more likely to be accepted?

That would be more accurate as there is some trading involved (mainly crypto).

Or any suggestions / alternative 'banks'?

Hmmm, and I thought getting the EIN was what would slow things down! Back to square one...

Is Trading (& Investing) more likely to be accepted?
Unlikely. Best to avoid such complicated hard to understand setups.
That would be more accurate as there is some trading involved (mainly crypto).

Or any suggestions / alternative 'banks'?
What can you do, what did you study or what did you work before money magically fell into your lap? Pick one of this and expand.

The bank which perceives you as a very valuable customer (so you having a big fat stack at their precious institution) if you have such one they can also open for entities of de facto shitlisted countries etc like Panama in Europe (might still cause issues with correspondence banks) or accept exotic residencies.
If you do not have such a relationship, use point above.

Thanks for info. Unfortunately no big fat stacks - yet ;)!

I could create a business front easily however, it wouldn't actually be where the money comes from so I'd always be worried.

Why do these banks see Trading & Investing as complicated &/or not want them?

From my perspective, it has less moving parts than many other businesses.

Thanks for info. Unfortunately no big fat stacks - yet ;)!

I could create a business front easily however, it wouldn't actually be where the money comes from so I'd always be worried.

You are right but you can’t reason with banks. Just feed them with what they want.

Reactions: jafo and phi303

It's because they see you as investment fund and not someone who manages his funds. And that's a whole new level. That requires compliance, licenses etc.
Also, all these activities involve significant amount of risk and they don't want you running a ponzi scheme and taking with other people's money while banking with them.

As a non-US resident LLC owner (EU citizen & EU resident), I've been looking at multiple banks to setup an account with online (mainly from this list: US neo-banks List [For Non-Residents LLCs] )

The LLC is purely for personal investment/asset management (including some from crypto).

Because the banks are all setup for business activities, most of the time there is no suitable "Category" to select (Financial Services > Other appears to be the nearest in most cases...although I'm not providing any "Services").

In order to increase the likelihood of being accepted, I'm trying to figure out;

• Which are the most suitable/friendly banks or EMIs for this situation?
  • Any tips for what business category to choose?
  • Any tips for what to include (or exclude!) in the business / biz activities description?
  • Should I create a website/1-pager domain simply for box-ticking?

eg. would this be an OK description?
"The LLC is used to manage my personal investments/assets, including some from crypto. No products or services are offered."

Thanks

Reactions: phi303

Latest Threads