Our valued sponsor

Buying a house with $300K: Where and why?

Wow you survived the Jacinda Regime when it was at its most fascistic

I was going to say I'm surprised you didn't leave earlier, but it was impossible.

This is the same basically everywhere.

You can do it via company structure. Find a decent lawyer and you can buy a house in Thailand without the horror story of your Thai girlfriend owning 51% of it and rinsing you.

I'd say Thailand is probably a good choice for you.
There are many crackdowns now on this kind of companies made for breaking the law.

What is the issue with the Balkans? Is life there so bad?
I could say that with limited amount of money(with budget like OP mentioned), life in Balcans would be much comfortable that in Cyprus for example.
And generally more comparable to the East Europe. With difference that you get everyting a bit cheaper and lower quality infrastructure around. But okay considering overall cost.
All above is for Balcans countries except Croatia/Slovenia

Last edited:
What is the issue with the Balkans? Is life there so bad?
Have you guys been there? You start from the airport, which is managed by TAV as usual in those places. Old and run down. Taxis to the city are no problem even at night. Cheap and the drivers speak good German and also some English. The city centre quite run down, houses in the central square unfinished and for sale, the Marriott estate next to it well renovated. The shopping mall run down, the stuff you can buy mainly LC Waikiki. The streets are holy and if you look long enough, you will see your neighbours last car driving there. The experience has been best during COVID as you would not notice the amount of smog thanks to the face mask. Oh and yes, there are also some restaurants somewhere. But probably not the best ones. Comes the night and you are still out, people will approach you and ask if you can speak English or German, better reply in French.

I personally like those places a lot and like to spend a lot of time in such areas. But I totally understand everybody who makes more than $5k per month and prefers more luxurious areas. In short, if you prefer business class over economy, you may not be very attracted to those place. If you prefer economy regardless of price, you will find yourself in paradise. Please let us know or PM me if you like those places as well. I am looking for people who want to spend time there or invest in the economy. (Not selling anything.)

Reactions: cryptofriendly
I could say that with limited amount of money(with budget like OP mentioned), life in Balcans would be much comfortable that in Cyprus for example.
And generally more comparable to the East Europe. With difference that you get everyting a bit cheaper and lower quality infrastructure around. But okay considering overall cost.
All above is for Balcans countries except Croatia/Slovenia
And in Bulgaria you get all of the above plus it's an EU country. In about 10 days it will join Air Schengen so air travel within EU will be even faster and less complicated. But I understand that some people prefer to stay out of the EU. Each to their own.

Have you guys been there? You start from the airport, which is managed by TAV as usual in those places. Old and run down. Taxis to the city are no problem even at night. Cheap and the drivers speak good German and also some English. The city centre quite run down, houses in the central square unfinished and for sale, the Marriott estate next to it well renovated. The shopping mall run down, the stuff you can buy mainly LC Waikiki. The streets are holy and if you look long enough, you will see your neighbours last car driving there. The experience has been best during COVID as you would not notice the amount of smog thanks to the face mask. Oh and yes, there are also some restaurants somewhere. But probably not the best ones. Comes the night and you are still out, people will approach you and ask if you can speak English or German, better reply in French.

I personally like those places a lot and like to spend a lot of time in such areas. But I totally understand everybody who makes more than $5k per month and prefers more luxurious areas. In short, if you prefer business class over economy, you may not be very attracted to those place. If you prefer economy regardless of price, you will find yourself in paradise. Please let us know or PM me if you like those places as well. I am looking for people who want to spend time there or invest in the economy. (Not selling anything.)

Smells like a one-sided look.

Balcans are half millions Sq km area, it's a huge territory.
A lot of different things there.
There is ultra poor locations which is better to ignore.

And for sure there are a lot of adequate places: with decent malls and available suppliers there. Not Milano with it posh, but not worsten to Germany or Spain.
Residental areas with new gated community, where in price of 1k$ per month's you will literally have same life/house experience like in some Vienna or Barcelona for 3-4k EUR.

With restaraunts, services everything is okay too.
Just select fine dining restaraunt above median and with price of McDonalds meal in some Swiss place you will receive fine experience.
And to be honest, cuisine in Balcans quite good, not even comparable to central Europe like a Switzerland, Germany, Austria.

Smells like a one-sided look.

There is ultra poor locations which is better to ignore.
It was meant neither one-sided nor bad. I just wanted to give an answer to why some posters here do not advise to go there. I personally like those places because I don't mind paying a lot for horrible hotels in Almaty at a price of a five star hotel elsewhere (that was during the Russian mobilisation). I think we have both people here, those who like luxury and those who like it cheap and without comfort. My experience pertains to one of the capitals and I had fun, while others complained about the bad air etc.

Reactions: cryptofriendly

That sounds actually very attractive, I love that kind of places (well, that smog is not desirable though), growing up in the eastern block in the 80s has done that to me.
I don't care much for restaurants, I prefer cooking by myself anyway, as long as I can find some Asia shops for the ingredients or can get them online (after almost 30 years here I need my rice, lol).
Which one would you choose (cost, people, weather), Bosnia vs. North Macedonia?

Japan has some kind of territorial taxation that can be interesting under certain circumstances:

Same with South Korea:
Foreign residents who have stayed in Korea for five years or less during the last ten-year period are taxed on Korea-source income, and foreign-source income is reportable only in the case where foreign-source income is paid by a Korean entity or transferred to Korea.

Reactions: jafo
Same with South Korea:
Foreign residents who have stayed in Korea for five years or less during the last ten-year period are taxed on Korea-source income, and foreign-source income is reportable only in the case where foreign-source income is paid by a Korean entity or transferred to Korea.
Is there a list of these types of countries? :rolleyes:

I specifically remember @Sols mentioning this here: Who are the most aggressive and least aggresive tax authorities?

Because of this, after extensive research, I later found out that China also applies this logic, which explains why they do NOT tax me in China when I try to pay taxes there. I'm NOT an eleemosynary, but I also do NOT want to risk getting locked up for a measly 25% of "profit." cry&¤

I'm very interested in this type of taxation as I can stay in the country for 5 years while learning the language and then "bounce." ;)

Are there more countries that apply this permanent resident tax logic? :rolleyes:

Cuba has similar system. Non citizen residents don't pay income tax on foreign income is with what you are searching for
I'm too old for Cuba. Twenty years ago, and armed with a never-ending supply of alprostadil injections, I would have torn that island and its female inhabitants a new one rof/% smi(&%

I would have given Fidel a run for his "money" ;)

Fidel Castro slept with 35,000 women and smoked his first cigar aged 14. Fidel Castro, the Cuban dictator who has died aged 90, had a rapacious sexual appetite and smoked his first cigar aged 14. Here are some surprising personal facts about the leader of the Cuban revolution

Is there a list of these types of countries? :rolleyes:

I specifically remember @Sols mentioning this here: Who are the most aggressive and least aggresive tax authorities?

Because of this, after extensive research, I later found out that China also applies this logic, which explains why they do NOT tax me in China when I try to pay taxes there. I'm NOT an eleemosynary, but I also do NOT want to risk getting locked up for a measly 25% of "profit." cry&¤

I'm very interested in this type of taxation as I can stay in the country for 5 years while learning the language and then "bounce." ;)

Are there more countries that apply this permanent resident tax logic? :rolleyes:
afaik the gulag ardern island in the pacific has the same but only for 4y. Might be a common rule around apac.

Reactions: jafo