Our valued sponsor

Can you explain what is required to get a residence permit in the USA?

EliasIT

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I am considering moving to the US for the next 5 - 10 years. I am an EU citizen and have a valid passport. I also know that it is not easy to get a residence permit.

Can someone explain what is required? maybe in simple terms and have links to more information?

I am considering moving to the US for the next 5 - 10 years. I am an EU citizen and have a valid passport. I also know that it is not easy to get a residence permit.

Can someone explain what is required? maybe in simple terms and have links to more information?
As I recall you have just moved to Switzerland?
Expect problems with your banking there if you still have it. They are pretty allergic to US persons (some even to Canada) and might require massive balances to keep you on boarded, if at all.

Most probably it boils down to these two:
You can put down a millie for the greencard investor visa or start a real business with about 50k-150k $ put in. Id tend towards the 150k.

There are also visa for employees, like h1b, etc. etc.

Reactions: EliasIT
As I recall you have just moved to Switzerland?
Yes that is true, everything is well around here. However, I came to some business opportunity in the US which let me consider to more there for the next 5 - 10 years. I would like to keep everything I have in Switzerland.

I didn't considered the troubles it could bring to the table in Switzerland, you may be right.

You can put down a millie for the greencard investor visa or start a real business with about 50k-150k $ put in. Id tend towards the 150k.
How would you go about it. In what state and would you form the company first, then apply for the Visa or how?

Reactions: EliasIT
Yes that is true, everything is well around here. However, I came to some business opportunity in the US which let me consider to more there for the next 5 - 10 years. I would like to keep everything I have in Switzerland.

I didn't considered the troubles it could bring to the table in Switzerland, you may be right.

If you have a business partner who is a US person, I assume they could hire you as an employee/CEO, and after a few years you could get a green card? Not sure how feasible that is or what the requirements are, but might be worth investigating.

So what you say is, I rent a real office, install everything needed to run a normal small office and tell them I will be working in that office, that would be good ?

Do you have any public / government links to where to apply for such stuff?

Sorry OP to take your threadlin%%&

Thanks for the replies and the interest shown by the other users.

I'm looking into
Do you know this consultancy firm or just a firm your found? I believe I could handle it my self or find someone in the state of my choice once I'm so far.

Do you know this consultancy firm or just a firm your found? I believe I could handle it my self or find someone in the state of my choice once I'm so far.
This was just a Google search to grab you a link and info regarding the E2 visa. A friend of mine has it. I would do it myself, as you said.
I just google E2 Visa and this came up.

I think this has better info:
E-2 Treaty