Our valued sponsor

Citizenship Through Marriage - Ideas?

blancmon229

Member Plus
Aug 15, 2023
UAE
Visit site
Which countries have the easiest citizenship through marriage and if anyone has been through the process, is it as straightforward as it looks in reality?

For example:

Italy: Couples living outside the country must wait three years after their date of marriage before the non-Italian spouse can apply for Italian citizenship by marriage.
A non-Italian spouse of an Italian citizen is eligible for Italian citizenship after two years of being married so long as the couple resided in Italy.

Spain: If you are legally married to a Spanish national and have lived together for a year in Spain, you can become a citizen after that year has passed. But need to renounce previous citizenship.

Argentina seems to be one of the best options:
Argentina allows and provides rights to civil marriages that are registered with the Civil Registry Office. The same rights have also been granted to same-sex marriages since 2010. Religious ceremonies are optional because they hold no legal status in-country. Any marriage that takes place in Argentina is also valid and recognized in other countries except same-sex marriages.
If your spouse is an Argentine citizen, you can apply for Argentine nationality, because the standard two years waiting period is now waived.

Its also quite a decent passport...
The Argentinian passport ranks among the most powerful passports in the world and it offers visa-on-arrival or visa-free access to more than 170 territories and countries. Citizens of the European Union (EU), the Schengen member states, and the European Economic Area (EEA) are allowed to visit Argentina without a visa. From 2022, Argentina passport holders will be part of the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS), which will allow Argentine nationals to travel to the EU for 90 days for tourism or business purposes.

Don't forget that "you can apply for Argentine nationality" doesn't mean that you will get it any time soon. They may process your application for many many years and refuse it without any justification due to national security. The same goes for any other country that allows to apply for citizenship almost immediately after marriage with a citizen of that country.

Marry & have a kid with a brasilian woman -> become a citizen, get a passport and also become legally protected from extradition since Brasil doesn't extradite it's citizens
Brazilian women a little too crazy for me.
Do you have to legalize the marriage in Brazil or can you just marry someone with Brazilian descent and get it that way?

Argentina seems to be one of the best options:
Argentina allows and provides rights to civil marriages that are registered with the Civil Registry Office. The same rights have also been granted to same-sex marriages since 2010. Religious ceremonies are optional because they hold no legal status in-country. Any marriage that takes place in Argentina is also valid and recognized in other countries except same-sex marriages.
If your spouse is an Argentine citizen, you can apply for Argentine nationality, because the standard two years waiting period is now waived.

Its also quite a decent passport...
The Argentinian passport ranks among the most powerful passports in the world and it offers visa-on-arrival or visa-free access to more than 170 territories and countries. Citizens of the European Union (EU), the Schengen member states, and the European Economic Area (EEA) are allowed to visit Argentina without a visa. From 2022, Argentina passport holders will be part of the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS), which will allow Argentine nationals to travel to the EU for 90 days for tourism or business purposes.
Main problem is that can never renounce and they have crappy taxation.

Which countries have the easiest citizenship through marriage and if anyone has been through the process, is it as straightforward as it looks in reality?

For example:

Italy: Couples living outside the country must wait three years after their date of marriage before the non-Italian spouse can apply for Italian citizenship by marriage.
A non-Italian spouse of an Italian citizen is eligible for Italian citizenship after two years of being married so long as the couple resided in Italy.

Spain: If you are legally married to a Spanish national and have lived together for a year in Spain, you can become a citizen after that year has passed. But need to renounce previous citizenship.

For Italy, you must also pass an Italian Language Exam and then after everything is approved you must wait 1-2 years for processing before you can receive Citizenship, so 3 (at best living in Italy) to 6 (at worst not living in Italy) years if you passed your Language Exam in a timely fashion.

You don't have to be legally married. In many places proving co-habitation with a significant other is enough to qualify.
It doesn't make sense to me to find a woman purely to pursue a resident permit or a passport. Unless you can fake it, but then she has to maintain her side of the bargain? Has anyone here done it?

I know a guy who got a Spanish residence due to making a 3 his girlfriend and living with her. Was it really worth it?

For Italy, you must also pass an Italian Language Exam and then after everything is approved you must wait 1-2 years for processing before you can receive Citizenship, so 3 (at best living in Italy) to 6 (at worst not living in Italy) years if you passed your Language Exam in a timely fashion.
I might be wrong here, but as far as I know passing the naturalisation/language test is mandatory in every EU country. There are exemptions of course. For example in the Netherlands you are exempt if you have a civic integration certificate.

It doesn't make sense to me to find a woman purely to pursue a resident permit or a passport. Unless you can fake it, but then she has to maintain her side of the bargain? Has anyone here done it?

I know a guy who got a Spanish residence due to making a 3 his girlfriend and living with her. Was it really worth it?
I'm already a EU citizen but I am saying if anyone has had success faking it?

Most marriages end up in divorce anyways. If you need to legally get married for it to be done, get a strong prenup, get married, get the passport then get divorced. I am guessing it's an extreme way to get citizenship but it's not the worst idea if the women doesn't mind it.

I know people who have done it and to be honest the women don't really care much and keeps up her end of the bargain. Unless of course you are in the US where everyone snitches.

This definitely has been done before.

I'm already a EU citizen but I am saying if anyone has had success faking it?

Most marriages end up in divorce anyways. If you need to legally get married for it to be done, get a strong prenup, get married, get the passport then get divorced. I am guessing it's an extreme way to get citizenship but it's not the worst idea if the women doesn't mind it.

I know people who have done it and to be honest the women don't really care much and keeps up her end of the bargain. Unless of course you are in the US where everyone snitches.

This definitely has been done before.
If you know people who have done it, why the original post?

I might be wrong here, but as far as I know passing the naturalisation/language test is mandatory in every EU country. There are exemptions of course. For example in the Netherlands you are exempt if you have a civic integration certificate.
I think in Netherlands you are exempt from the language/civic integration test if you are from certain nationalities. Specifically, a European Union (EU) country, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland , and Türkiye.

If you know people who have done it, why the original post?
Not in the EU. I know people who have done it in Brazil. To fly to Brazil to figure this out is a risk in itself.