Our valued sponsor

Clarification of Cyprus Non-Dom for crypto

blancmon229

Member Plus
Aug 15, 2023
UAE
Visit site
I know it has been discussed a lot in the forum but can someone clarify the following:

For a Cyprus non-dom, crypto taxation is vague. As some say crypto-crypto transactions are not taxable under the non-dom but we really don't know. Under the non-dom however there is a 100% Exemption for Salaried Services Outside of Cyprus. If one was to set up a company in a nil to low-tax jursidiction (ie: Bulgaria,UAE, etc...), that company would trade the crypto , then you would pay yourself a salary or dividends, this hypothetically would not be taxable in cyprus so long as the crypto trading was not done while physically in Cyprus.

Is the problem in Cyprus only trading crypto on your personal name? With the plethora of benefits of the non-dom there must be a way around it. Or at least other structures. Please advise.

I know it has been discussed a lot in the forum but can someone clarify the following:

For a Cyprus non-dom, crypto taxation is vague. As some say crypto-crypto transactions are not taxable under the non-dom but we really don't know. Under the non-dom however there is a 100% Exemption for Salaried Services Outside of Cyprus. If one was to set up a company in a nil to low-tax jursidiction (ie: Bulgaria,UAE, etc...), that company would trade the crypto , then you would pay yourself a salary or dividends, this hypothetically would not be taxable in cyprus so long as the crypto trading was not done while physically in Cyprus.

Is the problem in Cyprus only trading crypto on your personal name? With the plethora of benefits of the non-dom there must be a way around it. Or at least other structures. Please advise.
Good Morning,

You seem to be confusing a number of aspects.

There is no crypto taxation specifically for non-doms.

Tax residency is to become a Cyprus tax resident through the 60 day rule or the normal 183 day route.

With respect to Non-dom (which is a separate concept from the tax residency) please note the following:

(a) Foreigners who decide to move their personal tax residency in Cyprus, will automatically be considered as non-domiciled in Cyprus for a maximum of 17 years.

(b) For tax purposes, non-domicile persons who become Cyprus tax residents will now be completely exempt from Special Defence Contribution tax (“SDC”).

(c) SDC generally applies on dividends and interest. As SDC tax does not apply in the case of Cyprus tax resident individuals who are non-domiciled in Cyprus, dividend and interest earned by such persons will now be completely tax exempt in Cyprus.

With respect to crypto-related income, at the moment there is no guidance and it has not been implemented in the tax regime of Cyprus. Therefore, you cannot tax something which it has not been recognised/defined, therefore we consider that (as implemented in several other jurisdictions) the taxable event for a crypto related transaction is the realisation to FIAT.

If for example you have a company trading crypto in UAE or Bulgaria, then (a) you would need to see how that form of corporate income is taxed in that country (b) dividends would be exempt when received in Cyprus provided that you are a tax resident in Cyprus, as you would also be considered as non-dom, but they could still potentially be subject to tax at the source. Therefore you need to get legal advise from an advisor at the country where the company would be incorporated.

Finally, you have the simpler option of living in Cyprus, forming a Cyprus company, paying 12.5% tax and get SDC exempt dividends.

Happy to PM you to discuss this.

You are forgetting CFC laws, if you have a company in Dubai and don't pay taxes, that means you need to pay Cyprus corporate tax on the profit of your Dubai company

And for Cyprus company keep in mind, mandatory audit, 2k EUR per year, accounting another ~1k EUR, secretary services. And lawyers who fish for clients here are not the best and expensive. Cyprus is a lawyer's mess, 3 lawyers, 3 different opinions.
And if banks know you are crypto related, they will probably close your account.
Why would you choose Cyprus?
BTW you will need to come every 90 days to Cyprus

Last edited:
And for Cyprus company keep in mind, mandatory audit, 2k EUR per year, accounting another ~1k EUR, secretary services.
Annoying, but not a crazy expense if profit justifies the cost.
And if banks know you are crypto related, they will probably close your account.
I guess that's the point of EMI's
And lawyers who fish for clients here are not the best and expensive. Cyprus is a lawyer's mess, 3 lawyers, 3 different opinion

Do you have any suggestions of better lawyers you used? With a good lawyer it will be easier to navigate the mess.

Why would you choose Cyprus?
Benefits of the non-dom seem pretty good compared to other tax jurisdictions. Also given the simplicity of a 60 day annual stay.
BTW you will need to come every 90 days to Cyprus
Isn't the non-dom just 60 days a year as long as you are not tax resident of another country?

I guess that's the point of EMI's
nope, most banks in the world. I need to buy crypto and I have several personal bank accounts and it is not possible.
Benefits of the non-dom seem pretty good compared to other tax jurisdictions. Also given the simplicity of a 60 day annual stay.
If you home country claims tax residency, this nullifies your non-dom 60 days tax residency, search here, this was discussed many times
Isn't the non-dom just 60 days a year as long as you are not tax resident of another country?
you are confusing two things, 60 days tax residency is available but it will come only after normal residency like visitor residency. Non dom is just a status that you basically "not from Cyprus" and it will give you almost 0% dividends, in fact I think 2.65% up to 300k EUR profit. To keep visitor residency you will need to come every 90 days. May be if you lose it you can keep tax residency, I am not sure. But some people don't come every 90 days and border control let them enter. Cyprus is a ḉłứṣƫӗȓfµςҝ

nope, most banks in the world. I need to buy crypto and I have several personal bank accounts and it is not possible.

If you home country claims tax residency, this nullifies your non-dom 60 days tax residency, search here, this was discussed many times

you are confusing two things, 60 days tax residency is available but it will come only after normal residency like visitor residency. Non dom is just a status that you basically "not from Cyprus" and it will give you almost 0% dividends, in fact I think 2.65% up to 300k EUR profit. To keep visitor residency you will need to come every 90 days. May be if you lose it you can keep tax residency, I am not sure. But some people don't come every 90 days and border control let them enter. Cyprus is a ḉłứṣƫӗȓfµςҝ
With respect to having to come every 90 days, this is not the case.

If you are an EU citizen you simpley get the yellow slip, if you are non-EU you get a temporary residence permit which you need to renew every year (very simple process).

60 day residence is not normal tax residence. Not the same as 180 days.
With 60 day residence you get tax certificate but it's mentioned on it that it's not valid in terms of double tax treaties.
So even if Cyprus say you are tax residence, other countries could say you are not tax resident.
Also it's an Island outside of Schengen area and entry / exit is tracked

Reactions: Thomas67
With 60 day residence you get tax certificate but it's mentioned on it that it's not valid in terms of double tax treaties.
So even if Cyprus say you are tax residence, other countries could say you are not tax resident.
I think Cyprus joined Schengen recently or at least I saw that online

but i know a guy who had working visa through his company and didn’t know about 90 days rule, so he was away often away for a year or even two and nothing happened

I don't have particular wording, because I was advised by tax expert it would be like this and got the same confirmation on this forum.
Maybe someone has 60 day certificate and could share with removed data
I have seen it posted somewhere in this forum. The document does not specify whether you have been in Cyprus for 60 days or 183 days. It just says that based on Cyprus law you are a tax resident.

Perhaps, one of the Cyprus lawyers in the forum can clarify

Latest Threads