Our valued sponsor

Crypto taxation, non-dom

hille9966

Jun 8, 2024
Europe
Visit site
We are currently thinking of relocating to Cyprus. There are various reasons for this, including lifestyle and tax. We own different assets in different countries (private businesses, private shareholdings, publicly traded stocks, some crypto).

I hold a sizeable Bitcoin and Ethereum portfolio in personal name that has significant unrealised gains. These are mainly "buy and hold" holdings over 4-5 transactions that were built up during 2017-2020 with no trading. In 2021 I exited part of this position through a few sell transactions, but have still retained a significant part of it.

If we were to relocate to Cyprus and I would liquidate my position, how would these gains be taxed? I did research and it seems gains from a "capital nature" (i.e. non-trading income) as an individual are supposedly tax exempt. Does the Cypriot tax authority generally take this view? Any guidance on how they would rule here?

It also seems 21 working day tax rulings are available. Since this is Cyprus, does the tax office actually take 21 days to deliver a positive answer?

Yes, it does take 21 working days, through the expedite procedure.

If your gains do not fall under trading income they should be exempt. You can apply for a ruling for this or avoid the risk and structure it differently so it avoids the questioning of tax.

Your current country of residence is also important though as you will need to check on potential exit taxes and how crypto are taxed in general. Timing of changing tax residency and converting crypto is also important here.

I will be happy to pm you and discuss matters further. Kindly let me know.

Yes, it does take 21 working days, through the expedite procedure.

If your gains do not fall under trading income they should be exempt. You can apply for a ruling for this or avoid the risk and structure it differently so it avoids the questioning of tax.

Your current country of residence is also important though as you will need to check on potential exit taxes and how crypto are taxed in general. Timing of changing tax residency and converting crypto is also important here.

I will be happy to pm you and discuss matters further. Kindly let me know.
Do you have a website with your consultant services?