Our valued sponsor

Cyprus; going around the non-dom 60 day requirement

yggdorf

Nov 7, 2022
Cyprus
Visit site
If one would want to get around the 60 day requirement to acquire/keep the non-dom status in Cyprus, would it be enough to have boarding-passes indicating you've spent more than 60 days in the country?
- Are there known cases where immigration has denied a residency certificate due to, for example, no-shows on said flights?
- If so, would there be any additional consequences in this scenario aside from the residency certificate possibly being denied?

Obviously, spending the 60 days is the easy, straight forward and worthy way to do this, but exploring options assuming that one might not be able to

Reactions: JohnLocke
Can't comment on there being any known cases or what would happen. We have some other members that might know that better.

But if you're an EU citizen, keep in mind Cyprus isn't a Schengen member. You can't come and go quite as freely as within Schengen. Your passport is scanned at every entry and exit, unless you leave through TRNC, get a private yacht, or swim. So if there ever were an inquiry about you, they might be able to just check the border entry/exit records.

Do you intent to get the tax res certificate every year?
And what good would that do? Where do you wish to show that?
If you have no tax claim from a different jurisdixtion then what is to worry there?
You're right, hopefully I won't have a need to prove my residency. I'm just trying to understand the possibilities if it would come to that.

I'm hoping to not have other country breath down my neck, but given that I'm from a hungry, high-tax country and also spend significant time in another hungry, high-tax country the risk is not insignificant. I am also in process of moving out of the former and am not sure if they will simply accept my new residence without any proof. Moving to Cyprus definitely has a certain tax-aversion ring to it in my home country.

If you need to request a tax residency certificate, they will ask to see every single page in your passport, even the empty ones - for stamps.

Ahh, of course. This makes the whole boarding-card discussion irrelevant. Thanks!

I understand that one can only benefit from the 60-day res rule under certain circumstances, e.g if you are the director of a Cyprus company.
A question:
What if you were to spend Jan 1 - Mar 2nd in Cyprus, then leave the country and come back in May to set up the company but only stay for 3 weeks - do the 60 days priot to becoming the director count?

Can't comment on there being any known cases or what would happen. We have some other members that might know that better.

But if you're an EU citizen, keep in mind Cyprus isn't a Schengen member. You can't come and go quite as freely as within Schengen. Your passport is scanned at every entry and exit, unless you leave through TRNC, get a private yacht, or swim. So if there ever were an inquiry about you, they might be able to just check the border entry/exit records.
An EU citizen can enter without a passport, just an EU ID card is needed. Do they "scan" ID cards?

I understand that one can only benefit from the 60-day res rule under certain circumstances, e.g if you are the director of a Cyprus company.
A question:
What if you were to spend Jan 1 - Mar 2nd in Cyprus, then leave the country and come back in May to set up the company but only stay for 3 weeks - do the 60 days priot to becoming the director count?
Almost anyone moving to Cyprus can receive 60 day non-dom status; no need to setup a company.

Reactions: yggdorf
An EU citizen can enter without a passport, just an EU ID card is needed. Do they "scan" ID cards?
Yes. If you hold an EU travel document, you walk up to a device, scan your document, and it takes a photo of you. A slip is printed out that you take to the immigration officer, who may just wave you through or do a secondary check.

If you don't have an EU travel document, you go directly to an immigration officer, who scans your document, and does a normal check.

Almost anyone moving to Cyprus can receive 60 day non-dom status; no need to setup a company.
The 60-day residency has some conditions

Latest Threads