Our valued sponsor

CyprusCo and 60d tax residency questions, esp. for non-EU

xipoid

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Any non-EU citizens here with experience of setting up a CyprusCo and qualifying year after year for 60d tax residency?

What actual physical (as opposed to tax) residency visa (if any) do you use?

I ask because AFAIK, most visas Cyprus offers seem to have some conditionality along the lines of not being absent from Cyprus for more than 6 months a year. Which surely defeats one of the main purposes of this tax residency -- you travel a lot and want to spend a fairly minimal amount of time somewhere as a base.

I'm particularly curious if anyone just comes for <90d (most first-world country passport holders will be allowed in for 90 days at a time) but has maintained, year on year, the 60d tax residency. Has this been kosher with your home tax authority if so? (I'm aware that the 60d has a requirement not to spend >183d in any one other place).

Nb -- I'm aware of the various PR by investment, citizenship by investment, and also category F workarounds here, but only the last is a vague possibility for me and it's complicated.

Reactions: erni
Hello :). I just want to keep this topic alive. Maybe CyprusLawyer or others have some experience to share ?
Do you have any particular inquiry?
In essense what one should keep in mind is that each jurisdiction has its own tax rules and policies. When seeking to change tax residency, you should always check your situation at both the jurisdiction where you are departing from as well as the jurisdiction you are moving to. The conditions imposed by Cyprus for the60 day rule for example, are what would generally fit and be acceptable to international standards. Therefore one condition to qualify for this rule is that you need not be tax resident anywhere else. Basically here what you are being told is that as long as no other jurisdiction is expected to claim taxing rights Cyprus is happy to onboard you as their tax resident and confirm this through issuing a certificate. However this does not in any way confirm what would be the position of another jurisdiction with which you have some relationship either though citizenship, prior residency, centre of vital interests or other. In general one should seek to assess each case at its own merits.

Latest Threads