Our valued sponsor

dividends from Croatia to Cyprus

metronic

Dec 15, 2020
Visit site
hey guys,

I just recently moved to Cyprus and became a non dome here. I was looking at tax treaties since I own a company in Croatia with my friend. I was surprised that Cyprus doesn’t have a tax treaty with them but it is what it is. my question is if I am paid dividends from the Croatian company to my Cyprus holding or myself, what kind of taxes apply due to them not having tax treaties?

any help or pointers where to look for info helps

As a non-domciled resident, you are exempt from tax on dividends. You will need to pay GESY (social security) which is 2.65% up to 180,000 EUR (4,770 EUR contribution). But that should be the only tax applicable. Lack of tax treaty should not make a difference since the tax burden in Cyprus is zero in any case.

Of course, consult with a tax adviser to be absolutely sure. But that's how the tax rules in general are in Cyprus.

Reactions: orangekangaroo
As a non-domciled resident, you are exempt from tax on dividends. You will need to pay GESY (social security) which is 2.65% up to 180,000 EUR (4,770 EUR contribution). But that should be the only tax applicable. Lack of tax treaty should not make a difference since the tax burden in Cyprus is zero in any case.

Of course, consult with a tax adviser to be absolutely sure. But that's how the tax rules in general are in Cyprus.
yes, I know I am not worried on my end, I am curious what needs to be paid in Croatia besides corporate and if there is any withholding tax since there is a lack of tax treaty?

yes, I know I am not worried on my end, I am curious what needs to be paid in Croatia besides corporate and if there is any withholding tax since there is a lack of tax treaty?
Just to clarify - is the Cyprus Co a subsidiary of the Croatian Company? Or are you the direct shareholder of the Croatian company?

If the Cyprus Co is the subsidiary of the Croatian Co then dividends paid by the Croatian Co to the Cyprus Co may qualify for the withholding tax exemption granted under the EU Parent Subsidiary Directive. Such exemption obtained shall eliminate any withholding taxes arising from the distribution of dividends of a subsidiary company to its Parent.

If however you are the direct shareholder, even though as non dom you are exempt from tax and SDC at the Cyprus level, you will need to pay any applicables taxes at Croatia level.

Reactions: orangekangaroo
Just to clarify - is the Cyprus Co a subsidiary of the Croatian Company? Or are you the direct shareholder of the Croatian company?

If the Cyprus Co is the subsidiary of the Croatian Co then dividends paid by the Croatian Co to the Cyprus Co may qualify for the withholding tax exemption granted under the EU Parent Subsidiary Directive. Such exemption obtained shall eliminate any withholding taxes arising from the distribution of dividends of a subsidiary company to its Parent.

If however you are the direct shareholder, even though as non dom you are exempt from tax and SDC at the Cyprus level, you will need to pay any applicables taxes at Croatia level.
no the company is completely separate and doesn’t have any links to my Cyprus company. so if I am just the owner and shareholder I am getting hit with the dividend tax in Croatia ?

no the company is completely separate and doesn’t have any links to my Cyprus company. so if I am just the owner and shareholder I am getting hit with the dividend tax in Croatia ?
Correct - I don't know how dividend tax works in Croatia so you would need to check with an advisor in Croatia, however, from a Cyprus law perspective this is the case, no tax/sdc in Cyprus level so it all depends on Croatia.

If the two companies were linked then the parent-subsidiary directive would apply.

Correct - I don't know how dividend tax works in Croatia so you would need to check with an advisor in Croatia, however, from a Cyprus law perspective this is the case, no tax/sdc in Cyprus level so it all depends on Croatia.

If the two companies were linked then the parent-subsidiary directive would apply.
what if the Cyprus company was the owner of the Croatian one ? meaning the Croatian one would be a subsidiary?

thanks

I read that under non treaty regime , 10% is paid on dividends in Croatia

what if the Cyprus company was the owner of the Croatian one ? meaning the Croatian one would be a subsidiary?

thanks
As both countries are EU Member States the parent-subsidiary directive would kick in and any distribution made by the CroatiaCo to the Cyprus Co would be exempt from dividend withholding tax under the Parent-Subsidiary Directive.

The other solution would be for you to close the Croatia Co since you are a Cyprus non dom and carry out your business from Cyprus Co which would be exempt from dividend sdc - you would only pay the 2.65% for the nhs.

As both countries are EU Member States the parent-subsidiary directive would kick in and any distribution made by the CroatiaCo to the Cyprus Co would be exempt from dividend withholding tax under the Parent-Subsidiary Directive.

The other solution would be for you to close the Croatia Co since you are a Cyprus non dom and carry out your business from Cyprus Co which would be exempt from dividend sdc - you would only pay the 2.65% for the nhs.
yes I am doing that but the Croatian business is location based sort of so my only option really is to close the current one since it is still in very early stages and open a new holding here and open a new Croatian structure the right way. correct ?

You (or well, your Croatian company) won't pay any WHT as you are a natural person. Croatian CIT Act clearly states in art. 31. par. 4. that natural persons are exempt from paying WHT tax on dividends.
For Croatian tax residents or non-residents also? I am quite surprised as withholding taxes on dividends payable to individuals usually not defined in a CIT but personal income tax laws

our main income is coming from US, would a lack of tax treaty between Croatia and US play a role in doing business?

Latest Threads