Our valued sponsor

Does anyone have experience with Dubai offshore company formation and usage?

looks into Cyprus depending on your business constellation.
would be a good place, so the UK would also help in this situation.

I'm yet to find some of the large company formation services in Dubai that can confirm the best zone in the UAE to setup a company.

would be a good place, so the UK would also help in this situation.

I'm yet to find some of the large company formation services in Dubai that can confirm the best zone in the UAE to setup a company.
They are all pretty much the same except RAK ICC which is basically a holding for assets. Bank account is impossible unless you have big money to put down.
The next thing comes down to price. DMCC is the most expensive because it's the most prestigious one. It's also the easiest to get a bank account as there are banks in the DMCC.

What happens if you set up a free zone company with no activity? No activity means no ledger. Or what could be an activity without hassle?

Why? Getting a residence visa and living in UAE (cheaper as buying real estate).
That's what a lot of people do, they even split the maintenance cost of the company between each other. So 4 people will set up a company and it would cost the 1500 each per year to renew for residency. company stays dormant and they do their own business on the side.

That sounds good. I might do that. The company can also just be holding vehicle of a small apartment without any activity other than just getting some rentals.
I'm not fully certain if you'll be able to provide rentals using a free zone entity onshore of the UAE. Furthermore you need to be informed about all the regulations there are when it comes to renting a place, you'll certainly need to collect a tourism fee from your visitors - if you don't comply the fines are severe.

Purchasing a property and having a company is overkill. Just register a company whether FZ or Mainland and don't give yourself all the extra headache with the rental.

Purchasing a property and having a company is overkill. Just register a company whether FZ or Mainland and don't give yourself all the extra headache with the rental.
Agreed. If you want to buy the property for yourself to live in, for an investment or to be able to get a tax residency certificate go ahead, but if you just wanna earn some money on the side doing rentals I wouldn't advise that.

Reactions: CaptK
Thanks. That sounds good too. Do I actually have to freelance (I could) or can I just live off my savings and trading?
As there’s no audit and no reporting and no requirement to keep books (looks at FAQ) you can do whatever you want. It’s the same with a company. It’s not compulsory to do business as long as you abide the rules (some free zones require audit and to file the report when you renew your license). Keep paying your fees (establishment card, ...) in time and be happy.

As there’s no audit and no reporting and no requirement to keep books (looks at FAQ) you can do whatever you want. It’s the same with a company. It’s not compulsory to do business as long as you abide the rules (some free zones require audit and to file the report when you renew your license). Keep paying your fees (establishment card, ...) in time and be happy.
Excellent. Thank you

@CaptK do you think that combining a Portugal NHR residency with and offshore company in a blacklisted jurisdiction (like Panama or UAE) will still work well for the 35% exemption of Portugal given that, for example in the case of both Panama and the UAE, they have DTT with Portugal?
Does the DTT have more strength than the fact that they are blacklisted jurisdictions?
I don't see much information about these kind of setups with blacklisted jurisdictions that have DTTs.

@CaptK do you think that combining a Portugal NHR residency with and offshore company in a blacklisted jurisdiction (like Panama or UAE) will still work well for the 35% exemption of Portugal given that, for example in the case of both Panama and the UAE, they have DTT with Portugal?
Does the DTT have more strength than the fact that they are blacklisted jurisdictions?
I don't see much information about these kind of setups with blacklisted jurisdictions that have DTTs.
NHR is a difficult one because if you are using this vehicle then it shouldn't matter where your funds come from.

It is also a trap, because you can not undertake any work whilst in the country. It is meant for people who obtain purely passive income. So you basically do not do anything and money drops on your lap.

Unfortunately I do have real experience with this type of set up. Using a Panama or UAE company.

Last edited:

Latest Threads