Our valued sponsor

Easy territorial or zero tax residency without presence requirements

Roo

Jan 29, 2024
Gold Coast
Visit site
Is there any country that has territorial or no taxation where it's easy for EU citizens to get a residence (without investment) in 2024 where you don't need to physically spend much time there? Thailand would be attractive even for spending time there but seems complicated from the visa point of view, I prefer Asia to Latam due to safety concerns and familiarity.

• Wow
Reactions: Mister Sir and jafo
Is there any country that has territorial or no taxation where it's easy for EU citizens to get a residence (without investment) in 2024 where you don't need to physically spend much time there? Thailand would be attractive even for spending time there but seems complicated from the visa point of view, I prefer Asia to Latam due to safety concerns and familiarity.
without investment and then no time request on top of that, i can only think of shangrila.

Is there any country that has territorial or no taxation where it's easy for EU citizens to get a residence (without investment) in 2024 where you don't need to physically spend much time there?
Does it mean you want to stay where you live now but try to avoid taxes this way ?

UAE maybe? One could get a residence permit quite easily and cheaply, then 3 months per year for tax residency.

Visas to Thailand are not a problem. I'm in Thailand now and I spent a good chunk of last ten years here. They are talking about "restrictions", "being strict", "stopping people staying without proper docs" all the time, but in truth it's all very relaxed here.

Currently taxation rules of Thailand are changing and nobody is quite sure how it will end up, so maybe not the best time.

Still will cost you a few grands, both UAE and Thailand.

I believe tax residency requirements were updated recently to 6 months minimum in the UAE.
Interesting. Care to share a link? I thought the last change was from 1 March 2023:
· Habitual or Primary Residence: If a natural person’s main home and the place where they handle financial matters are in the UAE, meeting conditions specified by the Minister.
· Physical Presence Criteria: Spending 183 days or more in the UAE within a 12-month period.
· Additional Conditions: Being physically present in the UAE for 90 days or more within a 12-month period, holding UAE nationality, a valid Residence Permit, or the nationality of any GCC Country, and meeting specific conditions like having a permanent residence or holding a position in the UAE.

By the way, there was a gentleman here in the forums claiming to be able to get a tax residency certificate based on the first option. So, some connections, no stay requirements, "habitual residence". I would not be surprised if it's possible, on the other hand, if one needs TRC he is probably under scrutiny and such arrangements may look even more suspicious...

UAE maybe? One could get a residence permit quite easily and cheaply, then 3 months per year for tax residency.

Visas to Thailand are not a problem. I'm in Thailand now and I spent a good chunk of last ten years here. They are talking about "restrictions", "being strict", "stopping people staying without proper docs" all the time, but in truth it's all very relaxed here.

Currently taxation rules of Thailand are changing and nobody is quite sure how it will end up, so maybe not the best time.

Still will cost you a few grands, both UAE and Thailand.
Are you on tourist visas or something else?
I'd like to know more about what is working for Thailand at the moment.
What's in it for the country?
What do they get in return? :rolleyes:
Some fees for residency permit/visa I assume at least

• Wow
Reactions: jafo
Let's see and think like the countries: On one side I can keep good relationships with bigger economies and either sell them something or benefit from something else, on the other hand here's a few rich people who would like a residence for just 400 bucks a year... Yeah I'm picking the bigger economies side.

You either invest +100k or you will need to live there for a few months (4 to 6)

Are you on tourist visas or something else?
I'd like to know more about what is working for Thailand at the moment.

I'm using this card now:
It's 90 days, but they are not picking up on you after a few of those 90 days stamps in a row. Since I don't spend more than half a year in Thailand it's enough for me.

But I have had it all over the years: 30 days visa runs to Cambodia, student visas, friendly immigration staff allowing generous extensions, Thai Elite and some more.

I have seen people doing all kinds of staff lately. Student visas, tourist visas, their special LTR "long term resident" visas for somebody who does not quite fit. If your passport gives you 90 days stamp on arrival and you plan to stay a bit more than half a year while nomading, you basically don't need anything, just leave and enter couple times. Otherwise tourist visa probably.

Visas are not a concern at all.

On the other hand, how it will play out with taxes - I don't know. Somebody just mentioned on the forum that he could not get a tax identification number while staying more than 180 days on tourist visas. It's clearly contrary to Thai law but sure may happen. I would direct my research to this matter, not to visas.

If you declare yourself resident in Thailand/UAE to the bank without a TRC(,'ve only ever been asked about proof of address by banks) that will report stuff in foreign accounts to Thailand or UAE via CRS so it would probably keep clear from European tax offices who might otherwise get interest in taxing you.

Is that correct or am I missing something?

Thailand is easy.

Do a Elite Visa, Investor Visa or other.

Reactions: theblast3r and jafo
If you declare yourself resident in Thailand/UAE to the bank without a TRC(,'ve only ever been asked about proof of address by banks) that will report stuff in foreign accounts to Thailand or UAE via CRS so it would probably keep clear from European tax offices who might otherwise get interest in taxing you.

Is that correct or am I missing something?
the bank can file report to your passport country too or to wherever they see fit (phone no or wire pattern etc etc). Stupid banks will do that, better ones normally report according to the crs self reporting form and forward that to the locations tax office.

• Wow
the bank can file report to your passport country too or to wherever they see fit (phone no or wire pattern etc etc). Stupid banks will do that, better ones normally report according to the crs self reporting form and forward that to the locations tax office.
I haven't been back to my birth country since 1979, when I left to study abroad. I can only imagine the look on their faces when they receive such bank reports. rof/% rof/% rof/% rof/%

Reactions: PinkCat
Luckily for me, my birth country was an overseas territory then, but has since, after the 1980s, become "independent" ;)
It’s a interesting thing as my data is naturally a mess.

Birth certificate one name
Tax ID in another
Passport in another

All derivatives but due to the way it was issued back then (I was a young kid) at the behest of a bishop on a signed letter addressed it left me with a mess to clean up which I’ve never had chance to do properly when you end up talking to outsourced droids in India when calling the departments.

So honestly have no clue what black hole my CRS data goes into as for example in Asia if doing via passport there probably isn’t any system connection between passport ID and tax (NI) ID.

As a non resident - fortunately I don’t need to worry about as have no tangible ties with to the UK these days.

I.e on paper - there is no living relatives apart from siblings.

And just to clarify/confirm for all intended purposes up until biometrics came in - due to that screw up or rather the lack of connections back then in the UK between Birth, Tax and passport - I was left as a in (UK/Asia) as essentially a ghost except a ledger or few ledgers - crazy as that sounds.

I remember my first job in the UK (Blue Chip) company - it took months before they could actually pay me because of that

Last edited:
  • Wow