Our valued sponsor

EU VAT in invoice for a UAE consultant service

hibiscus

Mar 8, 2023
UAE
Visit site
Hi, I have a new scenario where I don't know the right approach. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

I have a small UAE FZ consultancy and need to bill a customer from Germany. He is paying via wire-transfer into one of my bank accounts.
1. Am I obliged to put German VAT into the invoice?
1.1 Does this change if I provide the service here in UAE while he visits?
2. If I put the VAT on how do I send it to Germany? I guess this is involved with a lot of red tape?

Hi, I have a new scenario where I don't know the right approach. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

I have a small UAE FZ consultancy and need to bill a customer from Germany. He is paying via wire-transfer into one of my bank accounts.
1. Am I obliged to put German VAT into the invoice?
1.1 Does this change if I provide the service here in UAE while he visits?
2. If I put the VAT on how do I send it to Germany? I guess this is involved with a lot of red tape?
You need to check with customer if Germany allows business expense deductions in regards to UAE if that is of any concern. Eventually, your client could not deduct this expense from German tax.

no you zero rate your invoice to germany, like 5000 euro + 0% vat. the end of the matter for you

the customer in germany receives this and then reports this 5000 euro as input and ouput on their return as if they supplied and bought themselves (silly i know) so 5000+20% german vat = 6000 input and output. Net result 0.

Eventually, your client could not deduct this expense from German tax.
"reversed VAT" on the invoice should make it an obligation for him to pay the German tax of 19% on the amount in the invoice. Meaning, he will have to compare his paid input tax and can offset it if the input tax is higher but that's another topic of a tax consultant.

no you zero rate your invoice to germany, like 5000 euro + 0% vat. the end of the matter for you

the customer in germany receives this and then reports this 5000 euro as input and ouput on their return as if they supplied and bought themselves (silly i know) so 5000+20% german vat = 6000 input and output. Net result 0.
Reports this as input and output?! :D How sure are you about this? This would mean he has no downside in the deal and somehow no obligation to the german tax authorities? I've read in a couple of threads that listing 0% VAT can be seen as "VAT fraud".
So no reverse charge reference? Would love to understand it for myself to be able to explain this to him in a discussion.

Last edited:

i did say "REPORT". A business is vat neutral anyway, so not sure what you referring to. vat is an end user consumer tax.

This is what applies to your German customer:

For you there's nothing to do. The requirement of specific reference to reverse charge in the invoice only applies to intra-EU deliveries, AFAIK (note: I'm not a tax advisor).

Reactions: European and Larin

Latest Threads