Our valued sponsor

Expat HSBC

eklia

Mentor Group Gold Premium
Apr 24, 2022
malta
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm planning to open a bank account with HSBC Expat.
I have few questions and I would be grateful if you can help me.

1) Is possibile to send EUR and USD via bank transfer to HSBC Expat bank account? Or to they accept only GBP?
2) SEPA is not supported and it's possible to operate only with SWIFT, is this right?
3) Is possibile to invest in ETF and stock with HSBC Expat bank account?
4) How much is difficult to open a bank account? What do they require? Video call? Only documents? Appointment in person?
5) Are there some hidden fees?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
1) Yes. Supports 16 currencies including the ones you mentioned.
2) Yes, I believe it only supports Swift. If you hold other HSBC accounts in other regions it goes through the HSBC internal system so irrelevant.
3) yes. But only on LSE
4) lots of documents. 1.5 to 2 months on average
5) somewhere around 30-50 GBP/month if your overall balance <50k GBP at any given time, or if your income <100k GBP, or if you are not Premier with HSBC in another country.

1) Yes. Supports 16 currencies including the ones you mentioned.
2) Yes, I believe it only supports Swift. If you hold other HSBC accounts in other regions it goes through the HSBC internal system so irrelevant.
3) yes. But only on LSE
4) lots of documents. 1.5 to 2 months on average
5) somewhere around 30-50 GBP/month if your overall balance <50k GBP at any given time, or if your income <100k GBP, or if you are not Premier with HSBC in another country.
Thank you! And what about if balance >100k?

Thank you! And what about if balance >100k?
No maintenance fees or any other hidden costs. However and most importantly please note that the 50k GBP min requirement only accounts for current/saving/time deposit accounts as well as HSBC in house/white labeled financial products. The LSE investments you make (stocks/etfs) don't count towards that min balance.

Thank you both.
What about if you hold for example 80K EUR? Is it considered as >50K GPB? Or you need to hold in GBP currency?
You can hold the funds in any currency and it would count towards the minimum in GBP.

Trust me you don't want to go with HSBC Expat.
The account opening experience is horrible and the people are more incompetent as the usual bank monkeys.
Better go with Barclays IOM.
Barclays is indeed better, they also support SEPA if you are dealing with EU. I think min deposit for Barclays is higher (100K).

Apart from the lengthy account opening process I have never had any problems with HSBC expat my RM always solves everything super fast.