Our valued sponsor

Expat Tax Residence in Cyprus

PeterOS

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
I read that for an expat tax resident of Cyprus, tax is levied on all gains or profits from any office or employment in Cyprus or abroad. Foreign-source income from employment is not taxed if the recipient spends at least 90 days in any calendar year outside Cyprus. This is known as the “90-day rule.”

For an individual who is a non-tax resident of Cyprus, tax is levied on gains or profits from any office or employment in Cyprus only.

So, could someone be in Cyprus for 6 months of the year (automatic tax resident?), but not pay taxes on foreign income (from UK property rentals for example) if the person is out of Cyprus for at least 90 days of the year? Would any money earned in Cyprus have an income tax threshold of €19,500?

You want to speak to an tax consultancy or CPA in Cyprus to get the right answer and even to help you with the tax stuff once a year.

If you read the rules there is nothing that say that you will have to pay tax in Cyprus if you are not in the country for more than 90 days.

So, could someone be in Cyprus for 6 months of the year (automatic tax resident?), but not pay taxes on foreign income (from UK property rentals for example) if the person is out of Cyprus for at least 90 days of the year? Would any money earned in Cyprus have an income tax threshold of €19,500?

Pointless argument. You would pay any tax on UK property rental in UK. UK and Cyprus have double tax agreement so your only paying tax in one place.

Speak to a tax consultant as I can tell already you've not grasped the basics of cross border taxation.

I am more concerned about Cypriot taxes on foreign income from an online IT consultancy service as well as any income derived in Cyprus itself (as an expat resident - see above). I am aware that, as a non UK resident, UK taxes would be payable in the UK on UK rentals. I would be interested in becoming an expat resident in Cyprus if I could avoid paying taxes there on foreign income (90 day rule).

Latest Threads