Our valued sponsor

FREELANCE PERMITS in Dubai,UAE license cost details and provider

@shikari which UAE mail address do you use when dealing with banks, gofreelance, visa stuff, IB brokerage, W8BEN... ? The one from rented apartment for 3 months (ejari)? Some rented p.o. box? Or does gofreelance provide you mail address as part of a freelance package?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on my move to Dubai.

Here is my situation:
Just sold my house and I now have 3 months before we have to leave.
Working for a European Web 3 company, able to work from anywhere. Married + kid that goes to school (family visa needed)

Since I only work for one employer which option makes most sense - Freelancer & setting up a freezone company?

If I understand correctly, I should not be subject to corporate tax as Freelancer as I am not working with UAE based companies.

Furthermore, if a Freelancer visa is enough, is it recommended to get the assistance of a service provider or should I just apply myself at gofreelance?

Another thing I don't quite understand is that you can apply for a Freelance License but it does not guarantee a Visa. Now what can you do with only the license?

-> Additionaly, I receive payments of other companies I am involved in in Crypto. Any info on a Crypto friendly bank in Dubai?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on my move to Dubai.

Here is my situation:
Just sold my house and I now have 3 months before we have to leave.
Working for a European Web 3 company, able to work from anywhere. Married + kid that goes to school (family visa needed)

Since I only work for one employer which option makes most sense - Freelancer & setting up a freezone company?

If I understand correctly, I should not be subject to corporate tax as Freelancer as I am not working with UAE based companies.

Furthermore, if a Freelancer visa is enough, is it recommended to get the assistance of a service provider or should I just apply myself at gofreelance?

Another thing I don't quite understand is that you can apply for a Freelance License but it does not guarantee a Visa. Now what can you do with only the license?

-> Additionaly, I receive payments of other companies I am involved in in Crypto. Any info on a Crypto friendly bank in Dubai?
Freezone is best for the visa for your wife and child.
Plus it allows you to do other work.
Crypto friendly banks, there is no real answer.
You would be better to sell OTC and then pay it into your business account.
If the companies are not exchanges then you can receive those payments directly.

What is the easiest and quickest to get Dubai residency? I need a resident ID to open an account in some decent EMI or bank. I am Russian and I am worried interactivebrokers will freeze my account. So I need to change my residency ASAP.
I don't need a Dubai tax certificate as I am already a 60 day tax resident in Cyprus.
So what is the quickest way for me? Do I do a residency via company or freelance visa?

@CaptK how do all those pakistanis and indians open personal bank account in uae? Major banks want to see ejari lease contract, I assume they don't have one? If you own an apartment, I guess utility bill is enough? What about if you stay at your friend's place or share an apartment with somebody, what kind of document is accepted as proof of address in that case?

All depends on your nationality.

Most countries they don’t ask for anything in my experience for personal bank accounts.

Yemen, Syria, Palestine, Somalia, Afghanistan, Sudan, Nigeria, USA and Algeria have extra scrutiny. Even if you have a European passport but place of birth is any of these countries you will be subject to extra security checks.

Reactions: zzzzzz
All depends on your nationality.

Most countries they don’t ask for anything in my experience for personal bank accounts.

Yemen, Syria, Palestine, Somalia, Afghanistan, Sudan, Nigeria, USA and Algeria have extra scrutiny. Even if you have a European passport but place of birth is any of these countries you will be subject to extra security checks.
what about Russians these days?

yes you get an emirates ID and a 3 Years visa and so you can open a personal bank account with that. It's still unclear to me if the freelancer permits represents an entity or not, because when you do the permit at some point you hire yourself as a manager. But I've opened a personal bank account with CBD where I'm receiving money, mostly from my LLC, and after having sent all the documentation and explained to the bank that I mostly work with foreign companies they didn't complain, they actually offered me to open the account for my company which I'd rather keep on Wise. Also they said that I can't have a credit card since I'm not hired, so it's not clear what that hiring step really means.
Maybe @Fred knows more about this, it's also still unclear to me if the 9% tax on companies applies to freelancers or not, I've read around that it doesn't apply as freelancers are individuals, but VAT do apply (although dividend distribution from an LLC should not be considered towards VAT limits in my understanding).
EDIT - gains from freelancer permit do count for corporate tax.
Hi, I got my freelance license and EID, now trying to open bank account.
How did you open account in CBD? Did you use the app or visited the branch?
I tried the app, but after all steps, it told me to visit the branch...

Hi, I got my freelance license and EID, now trying to open bank account.
How did you open account in CBD? Did you use the app or visited the branch?
I tried the app, but after all steps, it told me to visit the branch...
Also did you provide salary certificate to the banks?

Last edited:
When applying for a remote work visa, they ask for Health Insurance (coverage UAE) , however no local company is giving insurance without a visa, this is kind of an egg and hen situation, can anyone guide how to resolve it?

When applying for a remote work visa, they ask for Health Insurance (coverage UAE) , however no local company is giving insurance without a visa, this is kind of an egg and hen situation, can anyone guide how to resolve it?
Get a foreign insurance. Safetywing for example. And local companies can give insurance docs if you have had visa in the past , just that it s not confirmed until you get your new visa, but it s good enough for applying for remote work visa.

Get a foreign insurance. Safetywing for example. And local companies can give insurance docs if you have had visa in the past , just that it s not confirmed until you get your new visa, but it s good enough for applying for remote work visa.
Thank you so much for the reply, can i just buy 1 month of insurance (SafetyWing is 45usd/mo)? and then once i land in UAE, i can buy Orient (local) insurance for one year.

Latest Threads