Our valued sponsor

Getting the Bulgarian residency

Hi, I own several companies in BG and I have friends who left France to settle their companies there.

OTR365 wrote a nice sum up
I will just add: you will need a Bulgarian residence card to stay (even if you are a EU citizen), it will confirm that you pay your taxes in BG and other stuff.

Buying an apartment in Sofia might be a decent investment (the Black Sea coast is a different market with different rules). Bulgaria in on a pipeline for joining the euro, which could boost investments and asset prices.
+1 for this, I started to buy flats and also I plan to buy small offices. I think Sofia you will be like Warsaw soon. We see more and more foreigners and foreign companies coming for several reasons (reducing costs, taxes, etc.) and BG will be part of the euro zone at some point which will generate more business and opportunities

My last advice, find an accountant for all the tax/company/etc questions. You do not speak the language and you do not know the culture, believe me, you need to get used to it. I like to say that everything is possible in this country but you need to know how to ask. In BG, you can even find someone who will take care of everything for you. For ex, incorporating the company, help you to find a flat, do your accounting, help you with the residence card, help you with insurance, etc. etc. like an assistant.
(I have a contact and she can speak french if you want)

Reactions: Almouk and Takeshi
Hi, I own several companies in BG and I have friends who left France to settle their companies there.

I will just add: you will need a Bulgarian residence card to stay (even if you are a EU citizen), it will confirm that you pay your taxes in BG and other stuff.

+1 for this, I started to buy flats and also I plan to buy small offices. I think Sofia you will be like Warsaw soon. We see more and more foreigners and foreign companies coming for several reasons (reducing costs, taxes, etc.) and BG will be part of the euro zone at some point which will generate more business and opportunities

My last advice, find an accountant for all the tax/company/etc questions. You do not speak the language and you do not know the culture, believe me, you need to get used to it. I like to say that everything is possible in this country but you need to know how to ask. In BG, you can even find someone who will take care of everything for you. For ex, incorporating the company, help you to find a flat, do your accounting, help you with the residence card, help you with insurance, etc. etc. like an assistant.

Thank for your great comment. I’m also French.

How to get the BG resident card ? Is it possible even if not living there ?

You need to be a resident to get the card for the residence :D
Go to an accountant and pay someone to do everything for you, do not try to save hundred of euros on this. I guarantee that you will have some surprises in this country.

ps: I cannot contact you in private even if I meet all the criterias cry&¤ but feel free to contact me

@c4labs and @OTR365 thx you guys for all the answers.
I got in contact with an accounting firm -> Sb Accounting & Consulting don't know if you guys have heard about it already ?
Their prices seems quite honest and they can help me with every single of my needs (even find me a flat in Sofia).

@Dubsize It's pretty easy to get the resident card, but i'm quite sure you'll have to stay at least 6 months and 1 day in Bulgaria. You may found someone to help you prove that you are indeed in Bulgaria without actually been there, but it can be quite risky regarding the France government, I would not advise to do so :/

Reactions: Almouk

Thanks for sharing.

You need to be a resident to get the card for the residence :D
Go to an accountant and pay someone to do everything for you, do not try to save hundred of euros on this. I guarantee that you will have some surprises in this country.

ps: I cannot contact you in private even if I meet all the criterias cry&¤ but feel free to contact me
I'm new here as well so I cannot contact you in private either haha

I respect your decision, but why would you pay 10% flat tax in a corrupt country if you can live in a relaxed, warm country with European standards and pay legally 0% on any capital gains for the next 17 years with only 60 days minimum stay per year?
Check Cyprus, there is no better country for tax residence in the EU.

Reactions: Takeshi and Nyep
I respect your decision, but why would you pay 10% flat tax in a corrupt country if you can live in a relaxed, warm country with European standards and pay legally 0% on any capital gains for the next 17 years with only 60 days minimum stay per year?
Check Cyprus, there is no better country for tax residence in the EU.

Could you name at least one Cyprus bank that will accept his income from crypto for prove his financial position?

No, because Cypriot banks don't accept crypto.

And this is exactly what people often don't understand: who said the bank shall be in Cyprus? You can work with a bank in Georgia, Switzerland, Austria, Lithuania.... you do not need any account in Cyprus, there is no regulation and no need for a local bank account at all. Of course you can open a personal account for your daily expenses, but it's not necessary, not for immigration, not for anything else :)

To whom it will look strange? You should have anyway personal accounts in different countries.
You have to move to Cyprus, spend their minimum 60 days per year and not more than 183 days in any other country.

For business accountss, if you have a Cypriot LTD it looks better to use a local account, but you can be resident in Cyprus and have a company in Estonia, Lithuania, Hungary etc. using their lower taxation rates and have an account there. If it's a bigger business a Malta holding structure makes sense with 5% effective tax.

No, because Cypriot banks don't accept crypto.

And this is exactly what people often don't understand: who said the bank shall be in Cyprus? You can work with a bank in Georgia, Switzerland, Austria, Lithuania.... you do not need any account in Cyprus, there is no regulation and no need for a local bank account at all. Of course you can open a personal account for your daily expenses, but it's not necessary, not for immigration, not for anything else :)

Only if you citizen from other EU country, probably you could do that.
In other case(live in any non EU country), applying for pink\yellow slip require opening local account in Cyprus bank and moving a lot of money there.
With assets from crypto, it would be almost impossible to move such money to the Cyprus.

Also I'm not sure that it would be easy to live in Cyprus without local bank account.

Bulgarian residency isn't difficult to get if you're from western Europe, but you have to live there. Don't think about doing anything remotely, and get ready to spend months in BG. Buying property would help a lot. You'll live there one year, and then you'll be free to travel.

I've been there twice, but I didn't like much Sofia, nor the local people. The best thing about it is probably that Thessaloniki (which is way nicer) is only a few hours away. The border has been beefed up recently, and crossing it takes more time, but it's worth it.

Reactions: Almouk
Forgot to mention that there's the East coast, where I've never been but which quite many people seem to enjoy. There are several resort towns there, which attract thousands of tourists.

Besides, if I'm not interested at all in getting Bulgarian residency, a Bulgarian company is a good and cheap way to do business in the EU. I may open one someday.

Latest Threads