Our valued sponsor

How are you making money?

janet25

Dec 3, 2023
Spain
Visit site
Thought I'd start this discussion here, since I can't find anything of the sort in the forum.

Most people here seem to know how to make maney, otherwise they wouldn't be looking at tax optimization. So, let's share how we are making money and how we plan on making more.

Full transparency from me - I am a software engineer, have been for a while, and recently opened my own company. I provide my services to a business, so it's only one client for now, but it's good and long term. It's only me in the company at the moment, but I plan on hiring contractors if/when I get other clients interested in my services. Then I'll just review their code and deliver.

a dealer.

A lot of people around here have reached that point where the question "What do you do for a living?" is literally impossible to answer.

How can I forget the old good days, fresh out of college at my first job, where I could easily answer that question without making anyone uncomfortable or look at me suspiciously, as if I were hiding something.

How can I forget the old good days, fresh out of college at my first job, where I could easily answer that question without making anyone uncomfortable or look at me suspiciously, as if I were hiding something.
It's very amusing that you phrase it this way, it's exactly how I feel when people ask me what I work with. Since I have other activities (buy and sell micro websites and businesses) as my main occupation, it's not a problem to explain it, but there's always a bit left inside me.

It's very amusing that you phrase it this way, it's exactly how I feel when people ask me what I work with. Since I have other activities (buy and sell micro websites and businesses) as my main occupation, it's not a problem to explain it, but there's always a bit left inside me.

I have multiple income streams, each of them is relatively small to be considered an activity and they are all mostly passive, but they all together add up to my "salary".

So what do I do? I don't really know.

The other day at a party, throughout the night I gave like 7 different answers to different people who asked me that question. All my answers were true, but at the same time they all felt like a lie because I don't really do any of those 7 things.

And saying "I have multiple passive income streams" sounds good here but I feel like at a social event it sounds like bragging, so I tend to default to naming one of my "activities". :confused:

I chase luck
I chase idiots.

Thought I'd start this discussion here, since I can't find anything of the sort in the forum.
For those who want to read some stories

Reactions: janet25
I work in IT operational security, keeping companies safe from cyber threats, mostly through contract work. Honestly, the way I see it, my paycheck comes as much from staying sharp and up-to-date as it does from the actual security work. IT changes fast, and as a software engineer you already know there's always something new to learn. That's why I'm here, planning out the money side of things. My goal is to keep learning and growing, both in skills and financially.

Reactions: janet25
Couple of ways
AI Surveillance Intelligence
Data + Derived Data
Gov
Infrastructure
Custom IMs

And finally take quant positions mapping out probabilistic outcomes of government stupidity.

A lot of people around here have reached that point where the question "What do you do for a living?" is literally impossible to answer.

I have this one a lot but usually they dig and then come across a few articles or pictures and it confounds them even more and I get called (two nights ago) as “the xx guy”.

I work in IT operational security, keeping companies safe from cyber threats, mostly through contract work. Honestly, the way I see it, my paycheck comes as much from staying sharp and up-to-date as it does from the actual security work. IT changes fast, and as a software engineer you already know there's always something new to learn. That's why I'm here, planning out the money side of things. My goal is to keep learning and growing, both in skills and financially.
Real money there is operating within the field - flights into Burkina Faso for example pays well for the mining operations servicing - with jihadis nearby you have private in, private security, secure compounds and exits the same with nice fat payments

What do you deal, if I may ask?
I specialize on buying and selling info & connections. you rub the banknote, I grant you what you want, when you want and in any place around the world.

Real money there is operating within the field - flights into Burkina Faso for example pays well for the mining operations servicing - with jihadis nearby you have private in, private security, secure compounds and exits the same with nice fat payments
The risk-reward ratio in those operations is incredibly high. I've heard about similar high-reward opportunities in private security on Africa's east coast. Currently, my wheelhouse is more in infosec. While I've got a bit of know-how in setting up physical defenses, stepping into ground operations isn't really what I'm eyeing up.

I specialize on buying and selling info & connections. you rub the banknote, I grant you what you want, when you want and in any place around the world.
Anybody selling connections in this field?

I had opportunities of this kind in the past... call me conservative or coward but involving my face, name or physical presence would have to bring an enormous upside before even considering it - usually it's not worth... but it's just me

I used to have a "front", an activity that required little explaining and was more than enough to satisfy curiosity of people. It explained my frequent traveling and paid for my lifestyle. Besides that I did what I did and that was only known to a handful of people.

Just find something that can work as a "front" for you and you are sorted.