Our valued sponsor

How many of you invest in foreign Real estate and How was your experience good or bad ?

troubled soul

Pro Member
Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone.....
How many invested in foreign real estate ?Can you name country and share your experience with us?
What type of return you got on your investment ? Do they beat your home country return ?
Which payment method do you use to buy property ? Any one bought with crypto currency ? Share your tips and learning and mistake to avoid....
Is it good idea to invest overseas ?
Do you regret any decision in this process?
What are your learning in investing in foreign investment ?

Thanks

Real estate is ONLY worth it if you can get a cheap mortgage, AND if you can actively develop your asset (by renovation, re-zoning, etc). Otherwise don't waste your time.

Yes, some people may claim they did 200-300% but it's almost always GROSS and not NET, once you include all the buy-sell costs/renovation/time spent it's really not amazing.
Moreover, even if you made 300% in 10 years (which is exceptional), in CAGR terms it's only 11.6123%. Guess what? The S&P 500 did better in the last 10 years.

In fact even if you made 500% in 20 years which sounds amazing, in CAGR terms it's even worse: 8.3798% p.a = awful returns.

Real estate is great if you have dirty money you want to hide. Not as an investment unless you are an expert in your area and really know what you are doing, and it's your full-time activity.

Most people I talked to that showed off about their real estate returns only have returns on Excel, if they actually calculated their real returns (which you can only do when you SELL), they would jump from the roof of their building.

The S&P500 has been flat since 2013
What are you smoking my friend

1689174448264.png

And even the DXY Dollar Index got stronger since 2013 so in terms of ANY other currency you have made even more money buying the SPY...

1689174478763.png

I’ve made the best returns (500%) building in Portugal and selling to Golden Visa clients, mostly Chinese. You always need a sucker on the other end of the deal to make good profits.
what kind of building did you do?
If you had to do it again, would you still build or just wait and flip the land?
Where I live the builders are pretty unreliable, I'm guessing you probably had a similar experience in Portugal.

what kind of building did you do?
Cheap villas, townhouses and apartments disguised as luxury properties.
If you had to do it again, would you still build or just wait and flip the land?
It’s unlikely that a legalized scam like the Golden Visa will ever appear again, so I don’t think I will ever do real estate again in Portugal.
Where I live the builders are pretty unreliable, I'm guessing you probably had a similar experience in Portugal.
Yes, but who cared.

Reactions: Deepbarrels

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    303 KB · Views: 29
You missed the word 'debasement',
Read this.
I agree regarding debasement and that's a decent analysis - thanks for sharing.
I believe what its missing is the understanding of the energy production and physics.
The prediction that the energy will be at zero cost seems ridiculous to me (I would be happy to be proved otherwise).
Truth is we are now increasingly starting to rely on wind energy (the technology that is more than 100 years old with not much innovation).
Nuclear plants are being closed because they are low EROI (energy earned on energy invested).
Energy earned on energy invested is the key to understanding these days policies (including peak oil)
I agree that crypto can provide good returns but its exposed to significant political risks.
A better example of alternative currencies to FIAT is Swiss WIR.

I’ve made the best returns (500%) building in Portugal and selling to Golden Visa clients, mostly Chinese. You always need a sucker on the other end of the deal to make good profits.
I hear about that junk Portuguese estate priced "just right" for getting the Visa/Citizenship. I would not get near it with a 10-foot poll, but it might be a good investment if I was into Real Estate.

Latest Threads