Our valued sponsor

Question How to make it work

Rprox

Mar 15, 2021
United Kingdom
Visit site
How do I make it in the offshore workspace? I have been researching on how to offer my skillset as a service for months. I have a specialized skill and would appreciate anyones advice and guidance on how to pursue work offshore, I have been to sites yet unable to get offers, although I am employed full time in my country of residence, I have gained extensive experience over the years. Which companies do I approach and should I only use the job portals, as a start i want to work remotely but companies are strict on location requirements. I am highly impressed withthis forum I wish I could have discovered it sooner. I will appreciate you responses, where do I start?

What do you do? Do you need an employer or can you make it on your own?

Generally speaking, best is to network. Used correctly, LinkedIn can be extremely valuable for finding companies and getting to know people at those companies.

If you're highly skilled, location often doesn't matter much anymore in many fields.
Thank you for your reply Sols. I am a software engineer in test. I am currently employed and yes as per your question - I would like to make it on my own.

I have tried networking with some people and been watching helpful tutorials. Mainly local people in my network and a few team mates from abroad and worked for a few international companies.

I have worked autonomously in distributed teams accross the globe. Do i first need to establish an offshore company and have this information in my CV?, perhaps why my applications are ignored.

How do I make it in the offshore workspace? I have been researching on how to offer my skillset as a service for months. I have a specialized skill and would appreciate anyones advice and guidance on how to pursue work offshore, I have been to sites yet unable to get offers, although I am employed full time in my country of residence, I have gained extensive experience over the years. Which companies do I approach and should I only use the job portals, as a start i want to work remotely but companies are strict on location requirements. I am highly impressed withthis forum I wish I could have discovered it sooner. I will appreciate you responses, where do I start?
There is a reason why companies are strict on location requirements.
Perhaps try offering your services in a B2B arrangement.
I think you have a more or less perfect profession to incorporate an offshore company, so good luck :)

I forgot to intro myself on the forum. I am an IT professional and been working in the industry mainly in the private technology sector for more than 10 years. My experience is software development and testing and infrastructure design. I discovered this forum by doing extensive reading and research and main aim is to learn from experts here, take their advice and make it work : )

There is a reason why companies are strict on location requirements.
Perhaps try offering your services in a B2B arrangement.
I think you have a more or less perfect profession to incorporate an offshore company, so good luck :)
@Don, I have another question which I cannot figure out, but why the huge difference in package pricing when comparing UK Limited company to Mauritius Limited company, I assume the latter is safer or more tax efficient ?

I would worry more about getting clients first. If you indulge yourself on forming an LLC and getting so much paperwork and costs, without getting clients, you’ll lose money.
Own 2 small businesses and after trying different things one thing that I learned was to keep costs as low as posible, didn’t even register an LLC until I had enough clients, profits and sustainability.
But, maybe varies from industry to industry, my business is local and B2C focused.

I would worry more about getting clients first. If you indulge yourself on forming an LLC and getting so much paperwork and costs, without getting clients, you’ll lose money.
Own 2 small businesses and after trying different things one thing that I learned was to keep costs as low as posible, didn’t even register an LLC until I had enough clients, profits and sustainability.
But, maybe varies from industry to industry, my business is local and B2C focused.
That is entirely correct. I would only add that you should form a business entity as quickly as possible after the annual tax savings (by having an entity) exceed the annual carrying costs of the business entity. Tax savings are a major form of cost minimization for any business.

Thank you @luckycriminal, I am already getting interviews to secure clients first and once binded to a contractual agreement I will setup the b2b or whichever will suffice. I had feedback of two companies as unsuccessful after offerring me permanent employment, perhaps its just a trick up their sleeve to see if one is desparate for work.

Latest Threads