Our valued sponsor

Ideal offshore business configuration for software development?

mithra

Offshore Agent
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I've been obsessing on this for days and I need some advice.

I am currently a self-employed US citizen operating an incorporated business here in the US. I provide software development services for a company in China, which uses PayPal to send me payments, which I in turn deposit into my business bank account here in the US. From that, I pay myself wages and distributions, file and pay all applicable taxes, etc.

What I would like to in the coming year is restructure my business in such a way that I can reduce the actual taxes due. My thought was to incorporate a new business offshore with an associated IBC, and then continue business in the same manner with a new business PayPal account. I would then pay myself a living wage ( and pay taxes on that ) and allow the rest of the business profits to accumulate and roll over year to year in the offshore company, in a zero tax jurisdiction. Ultimately I'd have to pay taxes on anything I took as income, but I want the flexibility in determining when I receive that income, as this should help keep me in a lower tax bracket.

Anyway.

The stumbling block is this: Everything I read says PayPal hates offshore companies and will make people jump through hoops sooner or later to provide documents and local addresses and all kinds of ballyhoo as justification to lock the account down. This is all kind of silly in the age of global e-commerce, but whatever. I have no brick-and-mortar business and I ought to be able to operate and manage it from anywhere I want.

Has anyone here ( that is a US citizen ) been able to setup a working business model using an offshore account in conjunction with PayPal? If so, what country did you incorporate in, and in what country did you open the banking account in?

Thanks!

- Mithra

I think what's missing from the suite of offshore services is a PayPal account manager / proxy who can deal with requests for information and documents when PayPal requests them, and talk on the phone as a company representative.

Whichever company can get this right is going to make a lot of money. Creating an offshore business is not a problem. Opening an IBC is not a problem. Getting money from a PayPal account into an IBC is a problem, and I think this can be resolved, but its going to require a person IN the business locality managing that account and providing identification and so forth. An internet entrepreneur could no doubt manage the PayPal account remotely using a VPN and initiate a deposit without help, but if for some unforeseen reason PP needs to talk with somebody, or a local document cannot be provided, the PP account is going to be closed, money could be lost, and at the very least the business dead in the water. Sort this out guys and you'll have all the business in the world.