Our valued sponsor

Leaving Portugal as Non Citizen

gstoic

Feb 10, 2024
Portugal
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Id like you get your opinion and advice on this.
I'm EU citizen and I've been living in Portugal for the last few years, paying taxes here as self employed.
I'm not with NHR status because I missed my registration deadline from pure ignorance few years ago.
I don't have any assets or family ties there. My income here was average in Portugal. Also important to note that I don't plan to live in Portugal in the future at all.
I'm moved out of the Portugal mid last year and now I'm travelling around while doing business as Delaware LLC for US based clients only.
I don't use regular banks, I use EMIs, crypto and cash. I do have Pt bank account that needs to be closed to remove this tie to the Portugal as well.
Considering that I'm without any fixed place of residency for the next 2-3 years how can I deregister from Portugal tax system?
I talked to my Portuguese accountant and he said that I need to provide them my current address and new tax residency details. I do not have one though. I only stay in Airbnbs.
Ofc if that would be any other western EU country then I'd have to do everything properly and by the book but it's Portugal.
What's the likelyhood of getting audited if I just ignore it based on my specific situation?
What if I give them a Palau residency address with utility bill? Would that be enough, or is it gonna be questioned?

You cannot deregister from a Portuguese tax system, you can only change your status there to non-resident when you spend less than 180 days per year in Portugal (or leave the country).
Go to a tax office and ask them to change the address that is assigned to your NIF number (tax id number). As a proof of address you can give them a utility bill or a bank/EMI statement with your new address abroad.

Reactions: jafo