Our valued sponsor

Living in Spain as non resident

Max2020

Nov 23, 2020
Visit site
I'm an it consultant in Belgium, because Corona I can relocate easy to another country.
Would it be possible to relocate to Spain maybe as non tax resident or even under the beckam regime?

Another option I was thinking was to become resident in Malta, UAE or Cyprus, stay there 2 months a year (DTA between Cyprus and Belgium is in place), and the rest I travel between Spain and Belgium. I this doable?

The most important thing for you is to get out of the local (homeland) tax office radar. Spain will not care about you either. And then you can freely choose your tax residency (Malta, UAE, or Cyprus).

If you ask my opinion, I would most likely choose the UAE.
So it's possible to have a company in UAE, but live in spain. The problem is my home country can a tax certificate... To prove I pay taxes somewhere.

I'm an it consultant in Belgium, because Corona I can relocate easy to another country.
Would it be possible to relocate to Spain maybe as non tax resident or even under the beckam regime?

Another option I was thinking was to become resident in Malta, UAE or Cyprus, stay there 2 months a year (DTA between Cyprus and Belgium is in place), and the rest I travel between Spain and Belgium. I this doable?
This is a good solution. Many people do this especially those in the consulting and IT industry. If you don't trigger the minimum periods your allowed in Belgium then Spain won't care and you nre home country is the UAE.

Its all about the certificate of residency, it triggers the DTA between the 2 countries to define where you are a tax resident. Without this and for countries like Belgium, Spain, France perhaps even Germany, its a gamble and if you were paying a lot of taxes before they will likely be after you.

From my experience, getting a COR requires a minimum amount of income to declare in whatever country you choose and most likely a residence permit and/or a work permit along with it and most countries will be very thorough with it and might ask a lots of proof and even come to visit your apartment.
Except for Thailand where you only need to declare over 10k usd income in tax through a transfer in a Thai bank and an accountant.

I am not sure what is you idea with Spain but it is a taxhell country so I would rather avoid it at all.

Except for Thailand where you only need to declare over 10k usd income in tax through a transfer in a Thai bank and an accountant.

I am not sure what is you idea with Spain but it is a taxhell country so I would rather avoid it at all.
I have heard of a lot of people that moved to Spain because they some how saved in taxes and had a much better live style compared to what they had in Germany, Norway, Sweden and even people from France. I don't know how they did or what they did, but they don't drive Skoda.

For Thailand I know more people that are happy to live there, I would never move there for personal reasons. But Thailand is for sure easy to relocate to and live in silence while you count your money.

Reactions: PaulKruger
The problem is when Belgium asks prove that I'm living abroad....
Your bank statement is the best form of proof. Secondly you can inform the tax authorities that you are going and give them an address in the new country and ask for your bill. This gets a bit complicated if you haven't been paying. If you have been employed then its very easy.
If you would rather not do that move and then inform them after.

Latest Threads