Our valued sponsor

Looking for real estate

Overcrowded and overpriced

I don't think you can beat the Bahamas in terms of "overpriceness". I mean everything that is connected to the US is overpriced (real estate, restaurants, hotels, services and even flights). I have never been to the Bahamas but I am sure most restaurants require you to tip in the Bahamas, like they do in Yucatan and any other places where US travellers / expats / citizens go to travel/reside in.

Also Johnny I would consider a place with a decent healthcare system, at least somewhere with decent private clinics for wealthy individuals as some of the countries mentioned in this thread literally have NOTHING (eg Madagascar where they would fly you to La Reunion if you have anything more serious than the flu for example) :)

By the way I am sure that La Reunion would be the perfect place for you but tax and the difficulties to get multi acre land would be two obvious no gos.

I don't think you can beat the Bahamas in terms of "overpriceness". I mean everything that is connected to the US is overpriced (real estate, restaurants, hotels, services and even flights). I have never been to the Bahamas but I am sure most restaurants require you to tip in the Bahamas, like they do in Yucatan and any other places where US travellers / expats / citizens go to travel/reside in.

Also Johnny I would consider a place with a decent healthcare system, at least somewhere with decent private clinics for wealthy individuals as some of the countries mentioned in this thread literally have NOTHING (eg Madagascar where they would fly you to La Reunion if you have anything more serious than the flu for example) :)

By the way I am sure that La Reunion would be the perfect place for you but tax and the difficulties to get multi acre land would be two obvious no gos.
I agree 100%. Don't know about Bahamas. But for example, Dubai I would call overpriced. The land there is unlimited to build and the quality / price ratio is really bad. Sometimes it seems you pay there illogical price for that location/weather etc...
Thats why I like the places were really rich western people live. You get very good quality.

I don't think you can beat the Bahamas in terms of "overpriceness".
You can find reasonably priced real estate in the Bahamas. Of course at a premium compared to equivalents in Florida.
I mean everything that is connected to the US is overpriced (real estate, restaurants, hotels, services and even flights). I have never been to the Bahamas but I am sure most restaurants require you to tip in the Bahamas, like they do in Yucatan and any other places where US travellers / expats / citizens go to travel/reside in.
You need to distinguish between Nassau/New Providence and the Family Islands. They are two different worlds.
For anything serious you need the US or Europe.
All the inconveniences of France together with those of a small island, perfectly located in the Indian Ocean thu&¤#

Thats why I like the places were really rich western people live. You get very good quality.
Quality of what? Good life has a different meaning for everyone.

Last edited:
You're looking for a place that doesn't exist... like me :)
Go sailing...
or
Convince yourself Uruguay is not cold (at least not the whole year).
or
Be more creative regarding taxation requirements (it's your most restrictive criteria) or forget the seaside.

Botswana, Paraguay, Mexico, New Caledonia, pacific in general.

Europe, North America, vast majority of Asia, Australia... all cursed.
Africa getting colonized by China.
In my eyes you don't have too many options outside South America.

Reunion is your place however occupied by French at the moment. Since you probably still hold EU passport you can easily invest and spend there half a year... it's quite hot in summer anyways...

Reactions: jjrapy
You're looking for a place that doesn't exist... like me :)
Go sailing...
or
Convince yourself Uruguay is not cold (at least not the whole year).
or
Be more creative regarding taxation requirements (it's your most restrictive criteria) or forget the seaside.

Botswana, Paraguay, Mexico, New Caledonia, pacific in general.

Europe, North America, vast majority of Asia, Australia... all cursed.
Africa getting colonized by China.
In my eyes you don't have too many options outside South America.

Reunion is your place however occupied by French at the moment. Since you probably still hold EU passport you can easily invest and spend there half a year... it's quite hot in summer anyways...
Yes, there is no perfect place. You have to mix. Depending what you want

I’ve been searching for this for a few years now… probably it doesn’t exist, anyway here are the requirements:

- tax free country
- country/island with fresh water available
- nice vegetation
- calm sea
- beach
- min. 10 acres
- no close neighbors
- ideally (not necessarily) a peninsula

If someone finds it I will pay a commission.

What about Belize? It has access to fresh water sources because it is mainland. Beautiful beaches. cheap land and I never once felt odd in my own skin while I was living there. Belize is so diverse of a country that everyone is used to living with everyone. I think more specifically Ambergris Caye would meet most if not all of your requirements.

What about Belize? It has access to fresh water sources because it is mainland. Beautiful beaches. cheap land and I never once felt odd in my own skin while I was living there. Belize is so diverse of a country that everyone is used to living with everyone. I think more specifically Ambergris Caye would meet most if not all of your requirements.
interesting idea - how developed is the area and how does the sea look like
I'm asking because I know the area on the Mexican side (Xalac, Mahahual, ...) and there are just little spots where people live in the middle of nowhere, poor services, plenty of trash in the sea not mentioning the sargasso problem present in most to the areas of the Caribbean