Our valued sponsor

Minimum time required to get Dubai residency (Business setup + Emirates ID)

To get a tax certificate tou need to spend 183 days in Dubai, there is no way around it. At least a personal tax certificate. For the company tax certificate, I'm not an expert, but if you live in dubai 10 days a year, it's hard to say that the company is managed in Dubai, you need local presence somehow. But I'm not an expert in this.Fred know much more about this for sure

So, you know that Dubai consider you a resident even if you spend two weeks each year in the country. This means that the banks ( which you can open just with your emirates ID ) and brokerage account ( which will require a proof of residence, so an EJEARI, which is a long term contract ) linked to your UAE residency will not report you to any country, there would be no CRS messages even if you are not Tax resident in the UAE.
Residency and Tax Residency are two separate things, the first is the ability to reside iin a country for the whole year and use the infrastructure, the second is the fact that you have to pay taxes in that country. In the UAE and in most countries, to be tax resident, you need to spend at least 183 days in the country ( in the UK is different, after 60 days you are tax resident, for example ). If you spend 183 days in the UAE you receive a tax certificate and that certificate means that you have "paid your taxes" in the UAE and thus, if the UAE and another country where you might be liable to pay taxes, like your country, have a double taxation agreement, your home country can' t claim taxes on you even if Dubai taxes are 0 ( this is not entirely true, in many european countries, if your wife lives in the country, you are considered tax resident in your country even with a tax certificate from dubai, as Dubai is black listed for personal income and you will be fined when you return your residency to your home country ).
So this is about the tax residency part. The truth is that most of the people who live as digital nomads don't spend 6 months in any country, as you've see the breakdown above, thus they are not tax resident anywhere: they work remotely for USA companies and live around the world. In this case the law states that there is a country which is where you should pay taxes, normally your home country, but of course your home country knows nothing about you, because they have no idea how much money you are making and where you are making it, and of course they can't check everybody, so you can live a digital nomad lifestyle quite safely. The problem arise in two cases: you want to buy a property somewhere or you want to return to be resident in your home country: in both cases, especially in the first, but in the second too, you will be asked "where do the funds you are using come from?" ( which means, where have you paid taxes on that money ) and, unless you hav inherited them, you will have no answer as you don't have any tax certificate. So problems start here, and that's why I was saying that at some point I will need 2-3 years of tax certificates, because that proves that you paid your taxes in Dubai, and have "cleaned" enough money to buy the house in France.
Hope this clarifies things a bit, they are even more complex than this, based on your country of origin, as different countries have different rules on what happens when you relocate to a black listed region like dubai. In general, if you have wife and kids, they need to move with you. The more things you have, like houses, cars, comanies, the more complex the move will be: in these more complex cases please do ask advice to agents and specialized agencies that knows how to do things right.
That's all pretty much clear.
I was wondering why you care about CRS. It should be irrelevant in your case.

Reactions: ImKing
When you open bank account (anywhere), do banks for CRS purpose write your tax residency as local if you have residency permit of their country? Or do they check address on you passport and write that country? Let's say you live 4 months in each country with 3 residency permits and technically you're not tax resident anywhere and don't have any tax residency certificate.
Banks are obliged to check residency when opening account and then send CRS data based on the data you can provide. So for example I have a permanent NIE in spain, when I opened a bank account there, if I showed them the NIE they would send data to the Hacienda ( spain tax authoirty ) if I showed them my passport they would send it to my home country, with my passport and a utility bill from Dubai, they would send CRS messages in Dubai.
Or if you open an account as a foreigner in Dubai, they will send CRS messages based on your passport or on your residency documents. If you later become a UAE resident, they will not send any CRS message as location will be updated. ( mistakes have happened when this update was not done and thus CRS messages where sent anyway, so avoid doing those things and wait for papers ).
If you lose residency status, bank will discover at some point, either by a state message or by a KYC inquiry, and will start sending CRS messages based on proof of residence you provide or your home country. CRS messages are sent once a year if I'm correct.
Dubai having no taxes on individuals means that the tax authority doesn't care if you have accounts in your name, so any CRS message sent to Dubai tax authority is not relevant.

When you open bank account (anywhere), do banks for CRS purpose write your tax residency as local if you have residency permit of their country? Or do they check address on you passport and write that country? Let's say you live 4 months in each country with 3 residency permits and technically you're not tax resident anywhere and don't have any tax residency certificate.
Most passports have no address mentioned - there are only rare cases like the Germans :rolleyes: with an address in the passport.

Passport/nationality is no Residence indicator.

A bank will check if you have a Residence Visa for example for there country and then it depends further if the Country does have a Resdience Register or not and if the country doesn't have a Residence Register like the UAE well what can the bank do beside of using the address you give them.

Reactions: ImKing
That's all pretty much clear.
I was wondering why you care about CRS. It should be irrelevant in your case.
Because not having a tax certificate in Dubai, if that CRS message was received by any tax authority ( my home country, or the other country where I'm resident ), it would trigger some interest from them.

Most passports have no address mentioned - there are only rare cases like the Germans :rolleyes: with an address in the passport.

Passport/nationality is no Residence indicator.

A bank will check if you have a Residence Visa for example for there country and then it depends further if the Country does have a Resdience Register or not and if the country doesn't have a Residence Register like the UAE well what can the bank do beside of using the address you give them.
So basically if you lose your emirati residence, your bank account is blocked until you give them a proof of residence somewhere?

I wanted to know how many days I'll have to stay for Emirates ID and other mandatory stuffs?
If you want to things done fast there is way VIP/Royal/Express/Urgent service for the same.
Just you have to pay more to do things faster.

Emirates ID within 24 hours​

Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (FAIC) provides an urgent service for getting the Emirates ID card within 24 hours. The service is known as ‘Fawri’ and is available against the regular stated fees plus an urgent service fee.

The service is available for all age groups for UAE nationals and GCC nationals officially residing in UAE and can be obtained for:

• first time registration
  • renewal of expired cards
  • lost or damaged cards.

Some Amer Center provide Urgent Visa stamping

Receive your Medical Fitness Test Results &

UAE RESIDENCE
VISA IN 30 MIN.​

Now possible at Dubai's new Smart Medical fitness centre.

By walk-in or via Salem Portal​

If you want to things done fast there is way VIP/Royal/Express/Urgent service for the same.
Yes, I've checked about the processes and pricing and for my specific case, I'm totally dependent on VIP/Urgent services. Thank you for the resources you provided.
I'm also looking for @Fred 's help from incorporation to banking and I'll approach him once I'm well-prepared in terms of money and traveling.

Some Amer Center provide Urgent Visa stamping

Amer Center can only stamp Mainland Company Residence Visa.

FZCO Visa stamping happens through the Freezone.
Yes, I've checked about the processes and pricing and for my specific case, I'm totally dependent on VIP/Urgent services. Thank you for the resources you provided.
I'm also looking for @Fred 's help from incorporation to banking and I'll approach him once I'm well-prepared in terms of money and traveling.
Sure - we get you covered.

pretty smart... and you know it works?

Source of income is the key word - believe it or not - already had Remote Working Visa Guys with US LLC failing last year getting the Tax Residence Certificate.

Hands down - you shouldn't save on the wrong ending if you give yourself all the hassle and then end up getting no Tax Residence Certificate.

What you have mentioned is fine in theory but as soon as you hit avergae numbers like 200-300k USD a year you shouldn't make a compromise by banking on EMI's and having a source of income from a Carribbean LLC with Wise Banking

Did ever someone of you dealt with someone from the Federal Tax Authority? I can't imagine - even we have sometimes issues with local FZCO's getting the Tax Residence Certificate cleared.

It's up to you if you want to see this as an "agent upsell" - the reality is a different one and again why fighting ghosts in a forum - I'm just sorry for the guys that follow here this advise and then endup disappointed.
What was the problem in getting the Tax Residency Certificate for owners of local FZCO's?

What was the problem in getting the Tax Residency Certificate for owners of local FZCO's?
I don't think that there were any, I suppose people with LLCs and remote working visa had issue. Remember that the UAE is not a democratic country, so they can basically do what they want. I suppose that if you make 300k a year with your business, and you want a tax certificate, doing it with a 680$ remote working visa might be risky and you should shell out for the freezone company, which is the most expensive thing, but what the Dubai gov would want from you. I mean it's 6 or 7k a year, if you do 300k and want to be sure about the tax certificate it might make sense to do it. But if you do 100k the Freezone company starts to become expensive and for a year or two you stay on the remote working visa in my opinion

I did a freelance VISA, last february, it took one month to do everything. I was with gofreelance so not much help from third parties. You canlso get residency with a remote working visa which is super cheap, if you have the requisites, which I have but the visa didn't exist at the time. Companies in Dubai are expensive, it's much cheaper to have a LLC in the caribbean and have a remote working visa.
Does it matter if you apply at gofreelance with your local UAE mobile number or foreign mobile number?

Latest Threads