Our valued sponsor

Monaco realestate

there are some decent apartments (around 100m2) for 3.5MM
i will try to find an apartment for renovation if possible to get one cheaper

do you think it is worth it to get an apartment for renovation, and do them your self (i am quite handy at those things)?
Yes its worth if you can organize renovation
Of course you will have to receive permits from government for renovation

Reactions: sergeylim88
I don’t think that something being just “decent” qualifies as a good investment.

How do you stand out in such a crowded market?
How do you recover the high purchase fees?
Do you have established relationships with builders in the area?
Can you buy materials at good prices?

I don’t know why you are so fond of Monaco, but with $3m you could diversify and buy 2-3 properties in other places that at least you can put on AirBnb.

as i said, i don't want to risk buying a property in a country that can later use that as a tool to try making me a resident there (noted in first post)
also airbnb requires work, meaning i can't just rent it and just collect revenue

as i said in first post, this would be an investment that i would keep for 10-15-20 years
i am not planning on buying an apartment, renovating it and then reselling it on the market
the plan with the apartment for renovation is just to save some money using my own skills, as far as material goes i am sure it can be purchased in france and brought with car (ex. floors, or wall paints, or electrical sockets/lights)

also buying 2-3 properties means additional work, so i have to visit 2-3 different locations few times a year, and i want to avoid doing that
Yes its worth if you can organize renovation
Of course you will have to receive permits from government for renovation
permits are needed even for things such as painting the walls, or putting new lights (there is drilling noise involved)?
as i stated, i would do most of the work my self, with materials purchased in france
is there something wrong with my plan?

as i said, i don't want to risk buying a property in a country that can later use that as a tool to try making me a resident there (noted in first post)
also airbnb requires work, meaning i can't just rent it and just collect revenue
why don’t you buy a commercial property in a big city? Perhaps one with a tenant already in place and a NNN lease.

i will try to find an apartment for renovation if possible to get one cheaper

Here is a tip. Do not even think about this until you work out how things work in Monaco. When buying in Monaco find out when last the building itself was renovated and when it is due to be done. You could be wiped out financially and often sales of some apartment come down to existing owner trying to offload this burden to some poor unsuspecting sucker. A lot of owners can be super wealthy and may want renovation done to a standard that improves the future value.

However renovation internally can be inexpensive depending on fit and finish.

roi on monaco property is very very low(for rent), but the property should appreciate over time

Monaco is about total return i.e capital gains and rental income. Rental yields are always very low and this will not change.

any suggestion about the cities I should look at?
what roi pa should i expect?

Again seek total return and look into well established property markets with strong property rights if paying 7 figures.

thank you, very good inputs
where can you findout when is it going to be renovated? is there some kind of register?

can you give me an example of these
"Again seek total return and look into well established property markets with strong property rights if paying 7 figures."

as you can see i am not an expert, i don't know what i am doing, and chances of making a mistake are close to 1 (almost definite)

where can you findout when is it going to be renovated? is there some kind of register?

A good surveyor helps here to check existing condition of building and any future needs. What looks like cracked plaster could be structural problems. Also your lawyer will check sink fund etc is all up to date. Make them earn their money...lol.

can you give me an example of these
"Again seek total return and look into well established property markets with strong property rights if paying 7 figures."

Major cities like London come to mind.

as you can see i am not an expert, i don't know what i am doing, and chances of making a mistake are close to 1 (almost definite)

No problem. Spend at least 1 year just watching properties in the Monaco market and reading articles on them. Savills also have a good guides below. I wouldn't enter any foreign property market without the homework. Never rush to buy cause you think you spotted a bargain in Monaco. There are no bargains just basement converstions with no natural light or problem properties etc.

@Martin Everson
thank you very much for very good post! good job!
can you tell me if there are any differences between parts of monaco?
i see there are 6-7 different parts, i do know that beach front is most expensive, but is there something i should know about other parts? is there something i should avoid?

Btw I suggest Monaco property if you plan to reside or partime live in Monaco. Other way, not worth I think.
well rent is cheap(compared to property price), so am i living there or not doesn't make a huge difference, don't you agree? the most gain is gathered through increase of the price.
i think i read some old posts of your, and i think you are from monaco, am i right?

can you tell me if there are any differences between parts of monaco?

Yes there is. The reclaimed see area of Fontvielle is seen as less desirable than other parts of Monaco such as Monaco's golden square.

i see there are 6-7 different parts, i do know that beach front is most expensive, but is there something i should know about other parts? is there something i should avoid?

Buy in Carré d'or if you can. A 2 bed 60-80sqm in a bourgeois building is all you need to make money. Saw one at 2.8m renovated but with no street view but it sold in like a week. I would personally avoid buying in Fontvielle entirely as its looked down on.

P.S Also be careful the apartment your looking at is not actually in France and I am not kidding....lol.

If you live in Monaco as Monaco resident, you will save tax, your property value will increase over years. You will live near sea
In such way - Monaco is worth. Other way, it will make no sense

i figured location related to france could be an issue
so avoid borders i guess
do you know if the agent is a must? any advice on that?
should i hire a lawyer even if i have an agent?

If you live in Monaco as Monaco resident, you will save tax, your property value will increase over years. You will live near sea
In such way - Monaco is worth. Other way, it will make no sense
but if my property value will increase, why is that not enough?
i am probably missing something, so please help me understand

do you know if the agent is a must? any advice on that?
should i hire a lawyer even if i have an agent?

If French is not your language you gonna want translations of legal doc etc. Your deploying 7 figures here not 5. Don't be signing anything you don't understand. A lawyer is good to have but not essential if your comfortable with French language etc.

Btw. You can find some good properties below.

everyone successful enough to afford it :)
i am always interested to hear opinion of more experienced

to me it just appears as a safe investment, that won't have high yield, but then again will be always valuable

if i am missing something, please tell me