Our valued sponsor

MSTR stock vs. bitcoin

void

freedom addicted ultra relativist
Pro Member
Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
This is surely nothing new but I'd like to hear what you think about the idea of buying MSTR instead of BTC.
It's definitely a complex decision but to point out a few key things to consider:
- MSTR is massively (totally perhaps) correlated with BTC price
- MSTR might be acceptable conservative exposure in certain scenarios where BTC is not an option for various reasons
- personal gains from crypto are mostly taxable (at rather high rate) while in some jurisdiction time test for long-term holding of securities is applied and this difference might be pretty significant
- MSTR involves third party risk
- owning stock involves no controversy, compliance and banking issues, low profile, socially acceptable

Feel free to replace MSTR with GBTC - the question stands.

No need to open discussion about whether to invest into BTC at all or whether it is created and controlled by evil banks :D - let's assume one is sure it's a good idea.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: khinkali
For all of us not knowing what MSTR is, please elaborate!

For all of us not knowing what MSTR is, please elaborate!
ohh, sorry, it didn't cross my mind... MSTR is Microstrategy - american publicly traded company, holder of more than 120k BTC on it's balance sheet and it's majority shareholder and former CEO Michael Saylor is holding another 17k BTC privately (maybe the numbers are not accurate or up-to-date, it's unimportant anyways)
the rest is easy to google, worth paying attention to Saylor's approach in my opinion

Reactions: kilor
This is surely nothing new but I'd like to hear what you think about the idea of buying MSTR instead of BTC.
It's definitely a complex decision but to point out a few key things to consider:
- MSTR is massively (totally perhaps) correlated with BTC price
- MSTR might be acceptable conservative exposure in certain scenarios where BTC is not an option for various reasons
- personal gains from crypto are mostly taxable (at rather high rate) while in some jurisdiction time test for long-term holding of securities is applied and this difference might be pretty significant
- MSTR involves third party risk
- owning stock involves no controversy, compliance and banking issues, low profile, socially acceptable

No need to open discussion about whether to invest into BTC at all or whether it is created and controlled by evil banks :D - let's assume one is sure it's a good idea.

What are your thoughts?
Well, Saylor quoted the reasons for doing this in his interview with GeorgeGammnon.
Apparently, that was their intention since the company kinda reached end of lifecycle.

Its worth if you need / want exposure but cannot and do not want to think about custody and execution risk of buying these "evil and soon to be irrelevant" (quote ecb) ;) digital assets.
Its worth if you have captured cash inside your retirement plans and can invest that into shares.

However mstr has a balance sheet, key decision leaders and company gurus (strong leader figure etc) and is a company which comes with all its own risks which apply to every other company.
while btc is not (and like Gold or some other commodity).

The question is what happens when banks will start easy and widespread custody solutions for btc? It would kinda make mstr obsolete.

Reactions: JohnnyDoe
It’s a bit like asking: do you prefer drinking a good bottle of wine or paying someone to drink it and tell you how good it is?
you know it's not an accurate analogy :)

it's more like the difference between purchase of 1000 bottles of wine and storing them in your own cellar and buying share in wine production company having 1M bottles in their cellars and getting an opportunity to save 25% on taxes if you sell in future

as always, quid pro quo, interesting mental exercise

Well, Saylor quoted the reasons for doing this in his interview with GeorgeGammnon.
Apparently, that was their intention since the company kinda reached end of lifecycle.
I know - this interview made me consider it again after playing with the idea about a half a year ago - but I'm more interested in constructive opinions of others than Saylor's

Reactions: kilor
you know it's not an accurate analogy :)

it's more like the difference between purchase of 1000 bottles of wine and storing them in your own cellar and buying share in wine production company having 1M bottles in their cellars and getting an opportunity to save 25% on taxes if you sell in future

as always, quid pro quo, interesting mental exercise

I know - this interview made me consider it again after playing with the idea about a half a year ago - but I'm more interested in constructive opinions of others than Saylor's
Afaik he is correct. If you have captive capital (in retirement funds etc.) or cant work your way thru the banking maze with it, cant or do not want to store it, then it can make sense.
It is also not a 0/100 thing, you could always just mix it in like 5% or so...

true, but they create cashflow from their primary business to buy it

anyways, I'm not trying to advocate it - just seeking opinions and yours apparently is "stay away and buy the wine", fair enough
My point is if you like MSTR for whatever reason buy it. If you like bitcoin, buy bitcoin (which is way simpler, can be done quickly, without DD, it can’t be stolen/frozen, it’s private etc.)

Reactions: JackAlabama
A little off-topic here:

A guy I had a chance to speak with (after a couple of beers), who is an investment banker at high profile bank in London, told me that his clients that are interested in crypto where buying COIN stock (CoinBase stock, also publicly traded company in US).

For investors that was the easiest way to get exposure to crypto without having to deal with owning the actual crypto. They where advising their clients to have 2-5% of their portfolios in Crpyto but some decided to just invest in Coinbase as they found that this was easier for them. The idea was that even if BTC down Coinbase is going to make money from the trades. That was back in summer of 2021 when BTC was skyrocketing.

But then the BTC started going downhills and the COIN stock price went along and it's price went from about $320 to about $32.

Long story short:
  1. BTC is down about 75% from it's ATH while COIN is down about 93% - so all investors that invested at that time took a big hit!
  2. Owning a COIN or MSTR is not the same thing as owning actual crypto and the performance may differ (depending how the company performs and how investors value it's performance and their expectations).
  3. Owning a stock is much easier and acceptable by banks

MSTR doesn’t produce bitcoins.
Bitcoins also do not produce any new value (unlike companies).
It's pure price speculation - like with commodities (price of oil, gold or corn).
You buy an asset hoping that the price of that asset will go up so you can sell it.

It is much more than production of “new value”.
It's pure price speculation - like with commodities (price of oil, gold or corn).
That’s just one (legitimate) way to look at it. As a commodity, it has an intrinsic value.
You buy an asset hoping that the price of that asset will go up so you can sell it.
Or you buy it for its intrinsic value and usage. For example, you buy oil for running your car and heating your house, not necessarily for speculation.

A guy I had a chance to speak with (after a couple of beers), who is an investment banker at high profile bank in London, told me that his clients that are interested in crypto where buying COIN stock (CoinBase stock, also publicly traded company in US).
Here is another example of the idiocy of bankers.

Reactions: JackAlabama
That’s just one (legitimate) way to look at it. As a commodity, it has an intrinsic value.

Or you buy it for its intrinsic value and usage. For example, you buy oil for running your car and heating your house, not necessarily for speculation.
I do not fully agree with this.

Here is another example of the idiocy of bankers.
But I do fully agree with this one.

Bitcoin also does not have a balance sheet and cannot go bankrupt like any company. Nor does it has a leadership, which can be put in jail and stop the company.
It is a commodity with its value being derived by value transfer across space and time (on longer timeframes correlated with cb balance sheet expansion).

Bitcoin also does not have a balance sheet and cannot go bankrupt like any company. Nor does it has a leadership, which can be put in jail and stop the company.
It is a commodity with its value being derived by value transfer across space and time (on longer timeframes correlated with cb balance sheet expansion).
That doesn't mean that there are no threats related to Bitcoin - they are just different. It ca't go bankrupt like a company but what if: binance goes down, govs and banks ban it entirely, super computers hacks etc.

Do you really think that Coca Cola will ever go bankrupt?

EDIT: Anyways, I think we went way off topic. It's normal that we don't fully agree on everything and everyone has it's different point of view on Bitcoin and that's okay.

That doesn't mean that there are no threats related to Bitcoin - they are just different. It ca't go bankrupt like a company but what if: binance goes down, govs and banks ban it entirely, super computers hacks etc.
Banning commodities does not work in the real world. There are countless examples. Without going in too deep, dolar blue in Argentina is an example.
Binance came way after Bitcoin, it would not mark the end of Bitcoin. However, that threat seems to have died down right now, same with tether. But if it is to happen in the future, it would be the next capitulation event. Maybe due in the next downturn, 2025+
Do you really think that Coca Cola will ever go bankrupt?
No, low probability.
EDIT: Anyways, I think we went way off topic. It's normal that we don't fully agree on everything and everyone has it's different point of view on Bitcoin and that's okay.
Spot on.

Well to be fair to coke, they have a strong business model with tons of brands, same applies to Nestle, and to some pharma companies which have not been involved in recent medical treatments.
Before they go down, Id bet on many others to tank before them.

But its @JimBeam who brought these points up. As a conclusion, Id just want to stress Bitcoin does not have a balance sheet and hence won't go bankrupt.

Latest Threads