Our valued sponsor

Non Domestic Resident

THR2017

Jan 14, 2018
Visit site
EU Passport holder in Country1 marked as a Non Domestic. for many years.

When prooving my status to the EU Country1 I provided many years of tax assesments from Country2, and obtained this status.

I am now in the process of moving to Country3.

Does Country1 where I am already Non-Domestic status need to be updated to my new residence in Country3?

Additionaly, If any CRS would ever be triggered from my new residence in Country3, it would be reported back to Country1... Would it be forwarded to Country2?

It would not hurt you but help us to understand the issue if you put some country names here!

Does Country1 where I am already Non-Domestic status need to be updated to my new residence in Country3?

What is non-domestic status mean? Do you mean non-domicile status? Country1 may require you to provide them with a forwarding address if you plan on moving but your obscuring important information. I have no idea why you have not used the names of the countries as Khan says. Do you think people will identify you by giving country names? :rolleyes:

Additionaly, If any CRS would ever be triggered from my new residence in Country3, it would be reported back to Country1... Would it be forwarded to Country2?

CRS data will go to the countries that the bank has on record as knowing you have connections with i.e tax residency or even a forward mailing address or foreign phone numbers etc.

I would rather not disclose the countries because my situation is pretty unique. I will try and be a little more clear though with some more details.

Originally and currently from Canada, I applied and received several years ago a EU passport, Country ID card etc as a second passport/citizenship.

In this EU country I provided proof that I was residing in Canada and paying taxes in Canada, so I was not required to file any tax returns. I assume this is the Non-Resident/Non-Domicile status (I may have been confusing the two previously) in the EU country.

Last year, I applied for residency in a low tax jurisdiction with my EU PP and local (low tax country) documents and received it.

Now, locally with my new residency I can bank, do business and have limited worries as I am considered a local and CRS does not apply in my situation.

However, if I go ahead and open any businesses/bank accounts in foreign jurisdictions and provide my new residency papers and documents it may not be enough since they may request a copy of my passport, which I would obviously provide my secondary EU PP. Anything that would get reported due to my new residency papers/documents to the low tax country is fine, I have no issue with that. But since I am providing them with the EU PP, if they reported back to this EU country is there a chance it gets reported back to Canada?

If so, I would assume the best thing now would be to update (is this possible???) the EU countries old status away from Canada to the new low tax place of residency.

if they reported back to this EU country is there a chance it gets reported back to Canada?

Your worrying over nothing. If you obtained an EU passport and moved to another low tax country and have that country as your residency then as long as all paperwork related to banks, companies etc points to the address in the low tax country there is no further reporting. CRS is residency based not nationality based also. The only mistake you can make is if you open a business bank account elsewhere is that you use data from the EU country that gave you the passport. This is referred to as indicia i.e you used a phone number or mailing address for the country you obtained the passport from or even a Canadian address or number. Then banking data will be shared with that country and Canada as they have indication you have connections there. However just having a passport from another EU country is not enough for them to share your data with that country or even Canada. It is solely about your residency address given.

Latest Threads