Our valued sponsor

Possible Offshore Structure Idea

ciccino

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
I'm actually living in Italy with a dropshipping business via Shopify, but I also have Panamanian residency and documents (still not declared in Italy, I have no intention to live half a year in Panama) I'm thinking about alternative solutions, I thought about the following strategy:

1) Open a Delaware LLC
2) Open a corporate and a personal bank account in US using the Panamanian documents, so no CRS to Italy
3) Take a residency in Malta as self-sufficient to be even more protected.

Any weak points about this offshore structure?

Thank you.

• Wow
Reactions: sonato
I may be wrong but:

The US LLC will be a passthrough entity therefore all the profit the company makes will be taxed as personal income in Malta (15% tax under the self-sufficient regime).
About the bank accounts, CRS doesn't apply in the US, they have FATCA instead.

If you don't mind paying the 15% tax in Malta, the structure seems fine I'd say.

The US LLC will be a passthrough entity therefore all the profit the company makes will be taxed as personal income in Malta
Even if are not remitted to Malta?

If that's the case then he could use his panamian company (i guess he incorporated one to obtain panama residency) to act as single member LLC. In that way he will only pay 5K a year tax in Malta if his income in the Panama corp is over 35K but less than 750K (otherwise if will be a CFC).

Reactions: uplana

If that's the case then he could use his panamian company (i guess he incorporated one to obtain panama residency) to act as single member LLC. In that way he will only pay 5K a year tax in Malta if his income in the Panama corp is over 35K but less than 750K (otherwise if will be a CFC).
Unless he wants his LLC to be taxed as a C Corp, it'll be a passthrough entity and will have to pay taxes as personal income wherever he resides. 15% taxes isn't that much though for an EU country so unless his priority is not to pay taxes, 15% shouldn't be a problem.

Unless he wants his LLC to be taxed as a C Corp, it'll be a passthrough entity and will have to pay taxes as personal income wherever he resides
Because you take for granted that Malta sees the US LLC as a transparent entity but there are some countries where LLC is seen as an opaque entity, for example Italy or Dominican Republic.

In any case interposing a capital company between him and the LLC will help him avoid paying15% tax.

Which bank will open a corporate account to an LLC owned by a Panama corp?

Reactions: uplana
I may be wrong but:

The US LLC will be a passthrough entity therefore all the profit the company makes will be taxed as personal income in Malta (15% tax under the self-sufficient regime).
About the bank accounts, CRS doesn't apply in the US, they have FATCA instead.

If you don't mind paying the 15% tax in Malta, the structure seems fine I'd say.
I will not remit any money to any bank account in Malta, I will use only the US bank account, also any CFC will be directed to Panama as I will open the company and the bank account with my Panamanian documents, not the Italian or the Malta ones

Because you take for granted that Malta sees the US LLC as a transparent entity but there are some countries where LLC is seen as an opaque entity, for example Italy or Dominican Republic.

In any case interposing a capital company between him and the LLC will help him avoid paying15% tax.
According to this, "income is taxed directly to partners according to their shares of profits/losses and/or other agreement in place." in Italy when it comes to US LLCs.

I will not remit any money to any bank account in Malta, I will use only the US bank account, also any CFC will be directed to Panama as I will open the company and the bank account with my Panamanian documents, not the Italian or the Malta ones
If you're going to become a resident of Malta, what you're proposing is probably illegal and you'll be committing tax evasion and most likely fraud too as you're lying to the banks and the US government about your country of residence.

If you don't want to pay taxes, move to a country with a territorial tax system such as Costa Rica, and what you're proposing will work fine and you won't be doing anything illegal.

If you don't want to pay taxes, move to a country with a territorial tax system such as Costa Rica, and what you're proposing will work fine and you won't be doing anything illegal.
That's the best suggested solution for you OP!

Reactions: pomegranate
If you're going to become a resident of Malta, what you're proposing is probably illegal and you'll be committing tax evasion and most likely fraud too as you're lying to the banks and the US government about your country of residence.

1) I'm not committing tax evasion because under self-sufficient residency Malta doesn't tax foreign income sources not remitted in Malta, that's why I choose Malta in particular.
2) No fraud as I'm actually resident in Panama as well according to the Panamanian rules (enter the country at least once every 2 years, I pay rent there, so I'm a Panamanian resident 100% with all the documents, where is the fraud?

Last edited:
I almost forgot! This is probably the best option for Italian residents. It's worth investigating IMHO.
The risk of esterovestizione in San Marino for an Italian citizen it's very high, do you really stay there without crossing the borders for more than 183 days a year? Also, it's still not clear if you'll administer your foreign company from San Marino that they will consider the income foreign income, most likely not, so it will be a problem.

Last thing, only 100 people a year can get the residency, it seems like a lottery to me

1) I'm not committing tax evasion because under self-sufficient residency Malta doesn't tax foreign income sources not remitted in Malta, that's why I choose Malta in particular.
2) No fraud as I'm actually resident in Panama as well according to the Panamanian rules (enter the country at least once every 2 years, I pay rent there, so I'm a Panamanian resident 100% with all the documents, where is the fraud?
1) How are you going to prove you're self-sufficient if you don't remit any of the money to Malta? How are you going to rent/buy a place to live? And if you remit any money to Malta, according to this, "the minimum annual tax liability is EUR 15,000."
2) Are you sure you're able to have both Panama and Maltese residency and comply with both country's laws? (It may be possible, I just find it strange)

Anyways, your "structure" seems to be in a grey/dark area and may generate problems, maybe not in the short term, but it'll most likely do in the future. As I said, move to a country with a territorial tax system and you'll be good and 100% legal. And if you're making a lot, you could move to UAE too.

Reactions: uplana and jjrapy
The risk of esterovestizione in San Marino for an Italian citizen it's very high, do you really stay there without crossing the borders for more than 183 days a year? Also, it's still not clear if you'll administer your foreign company from San Marino that they will consider the income foreign income, most likely not, so it will be a problem.

Last thing, only 100 people a year can get the residency, it seems like a lottery to me
I don't think you have to be resident for more than 183 days under this program. A friend of mine asked the administration and they replyied that you could manage a foreign company from there. It's like Panama. As far as i know few people know about this program and with all the digital nomad competition from other countries you could try.

Latest Threads