Our valued sponsor

Question about bank statements

buenosdias

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
I have a several of bank accounts in countries like Russia, UK, Germany, etc. Mostly personal. Now, I’m looking to get financing from a local bank (Sri Lankan) for a deal I’m doing in Sri Lanka, but I need to establish myself in front of the credit committee and show them that I’m not broke, and the fact that I’ve done these type of deals before (although not in emerging or frontier markets). I’m thinking about providing bank statements from my Russian, German banks. And we are trying to get it done without using any of our own money (so making a €100k term deposit is out of the question).

1. Has anybody done this type of thing? How did it go? (I’m referring to the ‘impressing the bank’ part here. So any experience is welcome)
2. Do banks call the bank on the statement to verify it? (I’m concerned about my privacy as to whether they’ll request current balances, etc.)
3. Do one country’s banks look more attractive (thus get treated favorably) than another country’s banks. Say, banks like dealing with UK banks than German ones, or they hate Russian banks, or something like that.

Thx.

1. Yes. It went well. I'm assuming that you or your counterparty has some sort of connection with the bank in question? I can't imagine having an easy time without it.
2. Sometimes they do, this is likely to be one of those times.
3. Yes, sometimes, however with the case of Sri Lanka I have no clue which country they'd prefer to speak to.

Reactions: buenosdias
1. Yes. It went well. I'm assuming that you or your counterparty has some sort of connection with the bank in question? I can't imagine having an easy time without it.
2. Sometimes they do, this is likely to be one of those times.
3. Yes, sometimes, however with the case of Sri Lanka I have no clue which country they'd prefer to speak to.
Thanks for the response mate. I do have a connection with the bank, but given the nature of the deal, I want to make sure everything is in order.

Although I can’t imagine them speaking to my Russian bank and trying to get anywhere. Even I can’t get a response right away and I’m a premium customer!

Thanks for the response mate. I do have a connection with the bank, but given the nature of the deal, I want to make sure everything is in order.

Although I can’t imagine them speaking to my Russian bank and trying to get anywhere. Even I can’t get a response right away and I’m a premium customer!
If Banks are going to ask for information from your Europe bank they cant do it without your consent. What they do is ask you to request your bank to send them this info, your bank then does it.

Latest Threads