Our valued sponsor

Question about Obama, why the hell do they call him the leader of the free world.

I'm sure you must be joking with this question, but here is the succinct answer :

Because of the U.S.'s prominent role in the Cold War, the President of the United States was often dubbed the "leader of the Free World", particularly within the United States itself. The phrase implies that the U.S. president, as leader of the principal democratic superpower, was by extension the leader of all the worlds’ democratic nations. Although it had a Cold War origin, it is still used to describe the U.S. Presidency today.[1]

Source http://www.answers.com/topic/free-world

crimson said:
Being a president of the United States of America is stereotyped as a leader of the freeworld because of its big influence around the world.
This sounds swell and we should probably get naked and dance around a big bonfire because of it! I mean c'mon people, it's never good to give some man such power because the only thing you can always count on is human weakness. No man should be given such responsibility, no matter how great is he as a person!

Yes, it comes from Cold War times.

But "leader of the free world"? I do not think so.

Read the Patriot Act once and you will not believe that the USA is still "the land of the free".

By the way, "leader of the free world" is not used regulary in Europe for the president of the USA since the Bush jr. ruled over USA.

Even thought I am a citizen of the United States of America, I think the term seems very outdated. There are other world leaders who are just as interested in protecting the world from evil and keeping people free.

wildy said:
Yes, it comes from Cold War times.
But "leader of the free world"? I do not think so.

Read the Patriot Act once and you will not believe that the USA is still "the land of the free".

By the way, "leader of the free world" is not used regulary in Europe for the president of the USA since the Bush jr. ruled over USA.
You are right. In my opinion terrorism can't be an excuse to give government unlimited power over our freedom. Patriot Act is just an excuse to do whatever the hell they want.

Latest Threads