Turner Little - Company Formation Agents & Banking Intermediaries.Chat to a member of our sales team.
Mentor Group

Recommendation Malta or Cyprus?

NEW! We offer text link placements in two of the busiest forums.
Requires active Mentor Group Gold membership!
If you are looking for professional assistance and information about everything that people do not write about.

ghouldog

@jackfrost Assuming you are in Malta as "economically self-sufficient", you pay your €5K in tax, have your insurance, etc. But you work remotely (running an offshore company with no business whatsoever in Malta) from home or a co-working space. Are you are breaching the rules? I understand that if you are doing business in Malta as an employee or self-employed you have to register as such (pay national insurance, etc.), but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on working from Malta as economically self-sufficient.

Also, if you set-up a Maltese co (with offshore holding co.) can you retain the "economically self-sufficient" status? Thanks

blueweb

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Gold
Elite Member
from Malta as economically self-sufficient.
that's interesting. I can't believe that this is accepted if you live in country X but work as " economically self-sufficient " in Malta. Objective looking at it you are doing nothing else then working from home and it change nothing to the old "offshore company" setup we all were used to for this purpose! Or what am I missing?

jackfrost

Economic self sufficiency has nothing to do with taxes really. This is just that you are allowed to have your residency on Malta. While you have freedom on movement in the EU there are still rules individual to each country. In Malta that is you need to provide a corresponding job, degree whatever it is and then there is the route of just handing them a bank statement with i think like 16k Eur or so + health insurance certificate and declare yourself economic self sufficient. This way you will get your residency card. Again has nothing to do with taxes but just to be able to permanently reside on Malta which is the basic requirement in general.

Working for an offshore does not change anything at all. You need to look up what foreign / local soured income is. It is not where you company is but where you butt sits and that sits on Malta so it would still be local income and be taxed at 35%.

You need a Maltese active Ltd and the foreign holding either way unless you have purely (proovable) passive income (no your no substance nevis company is not passive income) with certain ownership requirements and so on. If you only have this truely passive income then yes you would not need any Maltese company as long as you dont remit the Money to Malta. You would still pay your 5k just to not have to even declare your world wide income and just make them f*** off.

jackfrost

PS: for me it helped that i already had a company incorporated a couple weeks earlier (takes like 1-2 weeks) and was able to give the officer that incorporation certificate to proof i have indeed a legit interest to reside on Malta. A year+ rental contract would also do the job. I did not have an apartment at that time and just lived in Hotels.

ghouldog

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense now. I guess if you want to do things properly (i.e. you are a "digital nomad" living and working from Malta_, you would still need to register as an employee of your Malta Co (owned by an offshore co.), pay taxes on your salary (although you could choose not to pay your salary), pay National Insurance, etc?

jackfrost

No you dont. You have to do private insurance anyways. But you should pay the 5k expat tax which also means you dont have to declare your word wide earnings.

Fast Offshore - Company Formations Since 1998
Mentor Group
Mentor Group