Our valued sponsor

Relocate to Switzerland, how to?

You go there for work, 3 days a week by commuting e.g. by train.

I meant, why should he be commuting if there's already a director in Zug? Are you suggesting that the company should hire him so he can pay himself a salary and commute few times a week to Zug to justify the salary? It's a 1h.30m ride from Lugano to Zug, so it's not far but neither around the corner. If nobody will check his presence in Zug then it could be worth it.

Zug, where dividend tax is enormous.

If you think dividend tax in Zug is enormous you should avoid Switzerland altogether.

If you think dividend tax in Zug is enormous you should avoid Switzerland altogether.
I totally agree. You may choose the Bahamas or similar places! That a different topic and would require a new thread.

If nobody will check his presence in Zug then it could be worth it.
I assume they have something like "einwohnermelde Amt" there, so the auth. would easily see where he lives. Or would that be different to him to be presence in the company in Zug during the working hours ?

Reactions: RealDude
Switzerland is not a tax haven (except for lump sum deals, which are being phased out). It just has a below average tax pressure, but high costs of living more or less even things out for average income people/households. By and large, you need to have a very high income to notice any meaningful savings compared to just living across the border.

Go somewhere else if you want low/zero tax.

Awesome replies, very useful.

How would you compare the situation for someone who lives in Denmark and want to relocate to Switzerland? That was the case in my situation (I'm gone and will never come back), they are insane in DK, you live and work 95% for the government, they own you.

they are insane in DK

Looks like you are one of the few Danes that are not happy about living in Denmark and having the privilege of donating your hard earned money to the Denmark government infact Denmark is ranked as the second most happy place in the world!

How would you compare the situation for someone who lives in Denmark and want to relocate to Switzerland?

Switzerland tops all the "quality of living" charts so you'll not regret moving to Switzerland by any means.

as the second most happy place in the world!
it is the most false statement I have heard in all the years when they show it on TV - It must be Danish propaganda.
Switzerland tops all the "quality of living" charts so you'll not regret moving to Switzerland by any means.
I'm in Switzerland for the last 2 months looking around there, didn't made any decision yet.

How is it with making friends there?
Like anywhere else, if you are open to your surroundings you will find people to talk with, it's about to be friendly and accommodating. However, I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to figure out where to settle down :)

Like anywhere else, if you are open to your surroundings you will find people to talk with, it's about to be friendly and accommodating. However, I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to figure out where to settle down :)
Well, friends and neighbours are a big part of this *figure out where to settle down*. Not just with the different language they speak.
It has also a big divide into "progressive" and "conservative" areas.

I totally agree. You may choose the Bahamas or similar places! That a different topic and would require a new thread.
I enjoy the Swiss life and already live there. My only issue is that the structure and accounting in Switzerland are quite expensive and on top of that you can't get away with an average of 25% in tax. This is the ideal number for me, I am not looking for 0%.

Well, friends and neighbours are a big part of this *figure out where to settle down*. Not just with the different language they speak.
It has also a big divide into "progressive" and "conservative" areas.
depends on who you are ;)

Reactions: RealDude
A Swiss citizen can.
How, where will he live, in the mountains with only his dog and his bicycle? It is nothing, I would be surprised if you can live anywhere in Europe for 30K$ a year !

How, where will he live, in the mountains with only his dog and his bicycle? It is nothing, I would be surprised if you can live anywhere in Europe for 30K$ a year !
You see, that's the problem of many people in this forum: They are detached from the real world.
A non-citizen person can have a comfortable life on USD 30k in RO, BG, HU, CZ, SK, SI, HR and even in the northern part of Portugal.
A citizen anyway doesn't need USD 30k in these countries to enjoy a good lifestyle.

Switzerland: A citizen can still find a flat in the banlieus for CHF 600.-. Nothing fancy but o.k. .
Then use public transportation (much cheaper for savvy locals than you might think) which will set you back about CHF 250.- per month.(includes weekend trips to other parts of the country).
Buy groceries with a discounter. If you can go without meat (much healthier to be vegetarian) this will cost about CHF 600.- (incl. going to the Beiz for a beer almost daily).
Add about CHF 100.- for utilities.
The remaining CHF 850.- are for whatever you want to use them.
Note: With this low income there is no need to bother about taxes. There are certain tax deductions which you automatically get and that way this amount will go almost untaxed.
A citizen will even get some social benefits if he/she applies for them separately. "Kantonale Wohnbeihilfe" will easily cover four to five months rent (= CHF 3'000.-).

Last edited:
Reactions: icecold
You think all this is possible if you own or have shares in an AG let's say, make 500,000 CHF in profits every year, and you get only 30,000 CHF out of it?

You also think the "Wohnhilfe" contribution from the officials will apply :D If that is true the Swiss people are more stupid than a door, and I know they are clever and know how to make business.

You think all this is possible if you own or have shares in an AG let's say, make 500,000 CHF in profits every year, and you get only 30,000 CHF out of it?

You also think the "Wohnhilfe" contribution from the officials will apply :D If that is true the Swiss people are more stupid than a door, and I know they are clever and know how to make business
No, of course not.
Study your initial question which was:
You can't make any living from only 30k$ per year in Switzerland ?
This is not about AG or 500k, it soley about a person who has an income of 30k. The rest of the discussion has nothing to do with it. So, AG and 500k are not applicable to your initial question.

Reactions: icecold