Our valued sponsor

relocating to Europe: will they ask for tax returns?

vibliotgwer

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi there,

Let's say I live in a tax-hell called South America and that my money is split between a US broker account and a US bank account.

If I had the opportunity to move to Europe, I would be curious to know what would happen if I transferred all of my money from my US bank account to my new European bank account. Would the European bank or government require tax returns from my original country, even if I could provide proof that my money came from legal sources (i.e. US employer)?

Thanks!

Back in the day when I moved/returned to Europe nobody asked for anything from the old country I was moving from. However I did need a large sum in my bank account (a years salary) to garentee I could support my family for a longer period of time.
Times have change now so maybe you should ask the question from the tax office of the country you intend to move to to hear what they have to say.

If I had the opportunity to move to Europe, I would be curious to know what would happen if I transferred all of my money from my US bank account to my new European bank account. Would the European bank or government require tax returns from my original country, even if I could provide proof that my money came from legal sources (i.e. US employer)?
In most cases, the government won't ask but the bank may, depending on the size of the wealth. The larger the sum, the more likely that they will want assurance that the funds were earned legitimately.