Our valued sponsor

Residency Choices for LLC Owners?

Hello,
I've been contemplating the advantages of LLCs in Delaware and similar states, highly favorable due to their nature, taxation, ease of operation, flexibility with applications and minimal bureaucracy.

In light of this, what are the best places for EU citizens within the EU or outside the EU to relocate while retaining their LLC and minimizing taxes on distributions.

I'm aware that Dubai is a feasible option, also Paraguay. In the EU maybe Slovakia that should tax only 7%?

Hello,
I've been contemplating the advantages of LLCs in Delaware and similar states, highly favorable due to their nature, taxation, ease of operation, flexibility with applications and minimal bureaucracy.

In light of this, what are the best places for EU citizens within the EU or outside the EU to relocate while retaining their LLC and minimizing taxes on distributions.

I'm aware that Dubai is a feasible option, also Paraguay. In the EU maybe Slovakia that should tax only 7%?
"best places" is subjective. Depends on your specific wants & needs. You will find plenty of exploratory discussions/debates in this forum.

For me I have been in Cyprus for years and Switzerland for years, despite what you read here it has been wonderful for me.

Reactions: SirGRA and Onassis
First thing is that LLCs don't distribute dividends and second thing is that generally you'll have to pay corporate income tax in the country where you manage your LLC from.
A us llc doesn't distribute dividends in the views of irs, however you can run the llc from another country and distribute dividends that might be taxed in that country.

Hello,

Bulgaria is not a bad choice:
  • 10% CIT (lowest in EU)
  • PEs of foreign tax residents (e.g. branches) are treated as separate entities similar to Bulgarian residents for tax and accounting purposes, so you would need to register a branch and keep separate accounting records according to local GAAP

Estonia is also quite decent:
  • There is no management and control test for the purpose of determining corporate residency, meaning that Estonia can only tax profits that arise from the permanent establishment of the US LLC in Estonia - so it will work out as territorial tax (if you are not Estonian tax resident yourself and 100% in Estonia)
  • You can register the branch but don't have to and can operate as just a registered permanent establishment.
  • In the latter case, there is no need to follow local accounting requirements.
  • Everything can be done online.
  • All undistributed corporate profits of the PE are tax-exempt. This exemption covers both active (e.g. trading) and passive (e.g. dividends, interest, royalties) types of income.
  • Introducing assets for the purpose of a permanent establishment and taking assets out of a permanent establishment is not deemed to be introducing or taking out assets or posting them as collateral in connection with financing securities if the assets are brought back, or the collateral is released within a period of 12 months.

• 10% CIT (lowest in EU)
  • PEs of foreign tax residents (e.g. branches) are treated as separate entities similar to Bulgarian residents for tax and accounting purposes, so you would need to register a branch and keep separate accounting records according to local GAAP

• There is no management and control test for the purpose of determining corporate residency, meaning that Estonia can only tax profits that arise from the permanent establishment of the US LLC in Estonia - so it will work out as territorial tax (if you are not Estonian tax resident yourself and 100% in Estonia)
  • You can register the branch but don't have to and can operate as just a registered permanent establishment.
  • All undistributed corporate profits of the PE are tax-exempt. This exemption covers both active (e.g. trading) and passive (e.g. dividends, interest, royalties) types of income.
  • Introducing assets for the purpose of a permanent establishment and taking assets out of a permanent establishment is not deemed to be introducing or taking out assets or posting them as collateral in connection with financing securities if the assets are brought back, or the collateral is released within a period of 12 months.
What about Slovakia? Is the CIT not 7%?

And in Bulgaria, with an LLC, do you only pay 10% on dividends?

For me I have been in Cyprus for years and Switzerland for years, despite what you read here it has been wonderful for me.
Having the LLC and being resident in Switzerland and Cyprus? What's the tax on distribution?

First thing is that LLCs don't distribute dividends and second thing is that generally you'll have to pay corporate income tax in the country where you manage your LLC from.
And so how to take out money from LLC on your resident, for example, in Dubai?

"best places" is subjective. Depends on your specific wants & needs. You will find plenty of exploratory discussions/debates in this forum.
Prague could works?

What about Slovakia? Is the CIT not 7%?

And in Bulgaria, with an LLC, do you only pay 10% on dividends?

Having the LLC and being resident in Switzerland and Cyprus? What's the tax on distribution?

And so how to take out money from LLC on your resident, for example, in Dubai?

Prague could works?
Slovakia's CIT rate is 21% A withholding tax (WHT) of 7% may apply to certain taxable dividend payments to individuals.

In Bulgaria, profits repatriated by a branch to its head office abroad are not subject to WHT. However, certain income payable by a Bulgarian branch or a PE to other parts of the enterprise abroad may trigger WHT.

Reactions: GalacticGazelle
Slovakia's CIT rate is 21% A withholding tax (WHT) of 7% may apply to certain taxable dividend payments to individuals.

In Bulgaria, profits repatriated by a branch to its head office abroad are not subject to WHT. However, certain income payable by a Bulgarian branch or a PE to other parts of the enterprise abroad may trigger WHT.
So the total tax on LLC distribution in Slovakia would be 21% + 7%, if I understand correctly. So CIT must be paid pratically.

In Bulgaria, do I need to create a local company or branch, or can I simply distribute funds from the LLC to my personal residence in Bulgaria? Will this incur only a 10% CIT without any Withholding Tax (WHT)?

• 10% CIT (lowest in EU)

I own both US LLC single member disregarded entity and Estonian OU company and I sell mostly to EU customers. I’m Slovak citizen and tax resident but living mostly in SEA. I’m cutting ties with Slovakia this year and figuring out where to move my tax residency. What would you suggest? Also how can US LLC not have to pay CIT on undistributed profits like Estonian OU company? Do I need to transfer all shares of US LLC to Estonian company? You seem really smart please let me know what would you do if you were me. Thanks.

Last edited:
I own both US LLC single member disregarded entity and Estonian OU company and I sell mostly to EU customers. I’m Slovak citizen and tax resident but living mostly in SEA. I’m cutting ties with Slovakia this year and figuring out where to move my tax residency. What would you suggest? Also how can US LLC not have to pay CIT on undistributed profits like Estonian OU company? Do I need to transfer all shares of US LLC to Estonian company? You seem really smart please let me know what would you do if you were me. Thanks.
I would recommend setting up something compliant, otherwise you might get screwed soon.
Check this: New Reporting obligations for Payment Service Providers - VAT CRS

LLC in US and residency in UAE
That's not bad, but you risk having to register the US LLC in the UAE and pay 9% on profits above 375k AED. Purely tax-wise there are better options, like all the Caribbean zero tax islands, the Latam territorial tax countries, Sub-Saharan Africa which is de facto territorial and has no CRS or anything, lots of Pacific island nations with territorial tax like Palau, Thailand if you dont remit money into Thailand, central Asian countries wouldnt tax you either I think. And Argentina might be a good option if Milei wins.

And I wonder how it works with a US LLC in balkan countries, like Kosovo, Bosnia, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro.

Last edited:
That's not bad, but you risk having to register the US LLC in the UAE and pay 9% on profits above 375k AED. Purely tax-wise there are better options, like all the Caribbean zero tax islands, the Latam territorial tax countries, Sub-Saharan Africa which is de facto territorial and has no CRS or anything, lots of Pacific island nations with territorial tax like Palau, Thailand if you dont remit money into Thailand, central Asian countries wouldnt tax you either I think. And Argentina might be a god option if Milei wins.

And I wonder how it works with a US LLC in balkan countries, like Kosovo, Bosnia, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro.

Yes that's what im considering to move my tax residency to one of these countries. What would be the best way to do it? Set up a home in territorial tax country and use that address on 5472 form and also bank account as your operational address? Also how about paying yourself a small salary from LLC to a local territorial tax country and pay taxes on it so you have a record of paying taxes somewhere each year. Would that work? Thanks

Yes that's what im considering to move my tax residency to one of these countries. What would be the best way to do it? Set up a home in territorial tax country
Yes, or zero tax, have a residence there, spend time there, have bills in your name there.

and use that address on 5472 form
Yes

and also bank account as your operational address?
Sure , but you dont have to. One can have many personal bank accounts in different countries using different addresses.

Also how about paying yourself a small salary from LLC to a local territorial tax country and pay taxes on it so you have a record of paying taxes somewhere each year.
There are different schools of thought here. Some think that it is good to show that one is paying a little bit of taxes somewhere. I guess it depends on what tax authority might want to see this, and in which country you are in.

In many territorial tax countries it s a bit of a grey zone what counts as permanent establishment when you are just one person with a laptop running a US LLC. Might be safest to keep entirely out of view of tax authorities and pay zero. The more messed up the country you are in, the better it is to pay zero Id say. If you pay something to a corrupt tax agency, they might get ideas to get more money from you, or share your details with cartels/criminals or something.

For the US it doesnt matter if you pay zero or something in the country you live in. It's more if you recently left some country with an aggressive tax authority like Spain or Australia, then maybe they will want to see that you pay tax abroad as part of you showing that you are not a tax resident in Spain/Australia. In most cases though, for most countries, this is not an issue.

Yes, or zero tax, have a residence there, spend time there, have bills in your name there.

Yes

Sure , but you dont have to. One can have many personal bank accounts in different countries using different addresses.

There are different schools of thought here. Some think that it is good to show that one is paying a little bit of taxes somewhere. I guess it depends on what tax authority might want to see this, and in which country you are in.

In many territorial tax countries it s a bit of a grey zone what counts as permanent establishment when you are just one person with a laptop running a US LLC. Might be safest to keep entirely out of view of tax authorities and pay zero. The more messed up the country you are in, the better it is to pay zero Id say. If you pay something to a corrupt tax agency, they might get ideas to get more money from you, or share your details with cartels/criminals or something.

For the US it doesnt matter if you pay zero or something in the country you live in. It's more if you recently left some country with an aggressive tax authority like Spain or Australia, then maybe they will want to see that you pay tax abroad as part of you showing that you are not a tax resident in Spain/Australia. In most cases though, for most countries, this is not an issue.

I understand that about personal bank accounts but what operation address you put on business bank account?

Also which country would you choose for this setup in South East Asia? In Thailand I can only live off of savings starting the next year right? Could Philipines work? In central Asia you mean Kazakhstan or Kyrgyzstan?

Well i do have contractors in EU. I was thinking about paying them from Estonian company so US LLC doesn't have to pay VAT in EU. Then VAT of US LLC should be paid in my current tax residence country. At least that's what I was told by tax authorities from my home EU country. And I could create contract between Estonian and US company so Estonia has capital to pay contractors. Could this work?

That is interesting. Do we have a list of aggressive tax countries? So far I only saw Spain, Italy and now you mentioned Australia.

Thanks

I understand that about personal bank accounts but what operation address you put on business bank account?
There you put the US address that you set up for your US LLC, typically with mail forwarding.
Also which country would you choose for this setup in South East Asia? In Thailand I can only live off of savings starting the next year right?
That were the old rules, now they tax any remittance into Thailand regardless of year. But you can send money into Thailand tax free in a year you are not a tax resident in Thailand. And well, do small scale p2p should work, and keep the bulk of the funds outside Thailand.

Could Philipines work?
I think so, that for foreigners it is territorial, but Im no expert on the Philippines. There was a thread on it.

In central Asia you mean Kazakhstan or Kyrgyzstan?
Either, or Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. Few people know about these countries. Need to do more research myself.
That is interesting. Do we have a list of aggressive tax countries? So far I only saw Spain, Italy and now you mentioned Australia.
France and Norway too, and to some extent Germany. See Who are the most aggressive and least aggresive tax authorities?

Philippines if you like Asia, especially if you're not setting up local operations/staff and its mostly a quiet one-man management. They don't tax non-Phillipine sourced income if you're a resident alien. You can exist under a tourist visa for a long time (but that's often not enough to convince your home country to let you give up your tax residency).

Reactions: JohnLocke