Our valued sponsor

Residency options for Russians to be able to open bank accounts

I am not sure nowadays since they are changing the system. I guess it should be here Tramites_extranjeria (in maintenance), something like Solicitud de Residencia Temporal para Extranjeros, but I see only Solicitud de Residencia Temporal para Extranjeros fuera de Chile (apply from abroad).
I, like thousands others, came on a tourist visa and applied from inside the country.

I don't remember I paid anything.

Reactions: uplana
Tell me. I'm aware only of the fact that with a russian passport I may enter Vietnam and pay zero for a 14-day visa, unlike others who'll pay .... some 25-50 usd.

But besides that, what are special residency privileges exist in those countries?
3mo tourist at entry with unlimited border runs in Th. S American would be a better and more permanent solution, with the exception of Arg and Chile that are expensive short and long term, in comparison.

3mo tourist at entry with unlimited border runs in Th.
This is definitely not correct.

However, Russia belongs to a group of 6 countries which has intergovernmental agreements on visa waiver in place. This gives a Russian citizen the right to enter Thailand for a max. of 30 days. Vice versa, a Thai citizen can enter Russia on the very same basis. A Russian citizen is also eligible for visa-on-arrival but this is currently not being processed for more than 30 days (it used to be more in the past) - so it has no advantage.
However, this does not have anything to do with border runs or a 3-months visa-free stay, the latter currently only being available to Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru.

As @JamesDonkey already mentioned, all this is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with legal residency. A fool who in today's compliance world still relies on border runs. In most cases this person will not even be able to produce a proper Tax ID.

If Thailand is the destination of choice then a Russian citizen should opt for a Thai Elite Visa (very easy to get).
In case of the person meeting the age requirement, the so-called "Retirement Visa" might be a cheaper alternative. It is basically just an "Extension of Stay Based on Retirement” and comes as an extension of a Non-Immigrant O Visa or Non-Immigrant OA Visa.

N.B.: If the person meets the age requirement, the best program is available in the Philippines. Clear papers, life-time residency, fast processing, ideal for crypto transactions since many banks are actively promoting it.

Last edited:
Yes definitely not interested in visa runs, please let's stay on topic. I am interested specifically in a residency without obligation to stay and pay taxes, because as I wrote, I have Cyprus tax residency. What I need is legal residency to get a decent bank or EMI account options

Yes definitely not interested in visa runs, please let's stay on topic. I am interested specifically in a residency without obligation to stay and pay taxes, because as I wrote, I have Cyprus tax residency. What I need is legal residency to get a decent bank or EMI account options
I'd say your best bet is the UAE or a Thailand elite visa. Others may cost quite a bit

Serbia has worldwide taxation doesn't it?
Almost everyone does except some countries with territorial taxation. But you can be a legal resident of one country and tax resident of another (except for USA). Usually if you have a permanent residency you don't have to live in a country, so you don't need to pay taxes if you prove that you are paying taxes in other country. Some countries with non permanent residency also don't require you to live in the country, like UAE or Serbia.
I will be checking about whether Serbia allows that, I am not 100% certain

Edit: Residents are taxable on their worldwide income
OK so seems like Serbia is out

Almost everyone does except some countries with territorial taxation. But you can be a legal resident of one country and tax resident of another (except for USA). Usually if you have a permanent residency you don't have to live in a country, so you don't need to pay taxes if you prove that you are paying taxes in other country. Some countries with non permanent residency also don't require you to live in the country, like UAE or Serbia.
I will be checking about whether Serbia allows that, I am not 100% certain
If you intend to reside in Serbia longer than 183 days in a year, you will become a tax resident there. This is the case for most countries, some it can be even lower.

Do you need a utility bill?

If you intend to reside in Serbia longer than 183 days in a year, you will become a tax resident there. This is the case for most countries, some it can be even lower.

Do you need a utility bill?
I have utility bill and 60 days tаx residency in Cyprus already.
I am confused. If Serbia gives legal residency and allows not to live in Serbia, will they still want to tax me on worldwide income?

I have utility bill and 60 days tаx residency in Cyprus already.
I am confused. If Serbia gives legal residency and allows not to live in Serbia, will they still want to tax me on worldwide income?
What are you actually looking for? Legal residency?

I feel like you may not understand fully how this stuff works, you are only taxed if you are a tax resident. Having tax residency doesn't mean you have permanent residency or anything. I'm not sure what you mean with "legal residency"? What are the banks asking you?

Reactions: complex
What are you actually looking for? Legal residency?

I feel like you may not understand fully how this stuff works, you are only taxed if you are a tax resident. Having tax residency doesn't mean you have permanent residency or anything. I'm not sure what you mean with "legal residency"? What are the banks asking you?
i explained several times already. Russian residency means frozen assets nowadays, So I need any other legal residency

What EMI would you like to open your account with? It may help to find a possible quick solution for your needs!?!