Our valued sponsor

Residency options for Russians to be able to open bank accounts

What EMI would you like to open your account with? It may help to find a possible quick solution for your needs!?!
If I open EMI as Russian resident, I won't be able to send money anywhere in EU/US and also when more bombs pour it will be suspended.
As I see it now my best option is do UAE residency and open an account in some neutral country. UAE, Hong Kong, Singapore. I have Georgian account and not a single payment so far made it to EU accounts - all lost or returned.
Anyway what are you offering? I wouldn't mind having an EMI account but will I be able to send money around?

I know there is a way for Russian passport holders to setup a Bank Account account in UAE. The bank that I know this is possible requires 500k AED deposit (about 125k EUR) and one trip to sign the papers is needed. Everything else they can handle remotely (online).

That applies to everybody except Russians who have separate bilateral agreements with Thailand and it does include reentry. Case closed..
That applies to russians too, on practise.

I don't know of any russian, including myself, who would magically continue to do visa-runs in Thailand, as before, while all other residents got cracked down on in ... when ... 2016 or so.

Reactions: backpacker
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you have Cyprus tax residency if you don't have legal residency? You mentioned you have utility bill in Cyprus too.
Legal residency? You become tax resident based on the rules of the country in question, usually something along the lines of spending 180 days or more in the country. I think in case of the cyprus non-dom scheme its 60 days

Reactions: captain9
Legal residency? You become tax resident based on the rules of the country in question, usually something along the lines of spending 180 days or more in the country. I think in case of the cyprus non-dom scheme its 60 days
Can you get the 60 day rule if you have a company + rented place without going through the immigration and getting legal residency?

In all honesty I thought legal residency is a requirement for the 60 day rule and non Dom.

Can you get the 60 day rule if you have a company + rented place without going through the immigration and getting legal residency?

In all honesty I thought legal residency is a requirement for the 60 day rule and non Dom.
Yes, and actually you don't need a company for that. You apply for tax residency if you can stay in Cyprus for 60 days and not stay in any other country for 180 days. You only need a rental contract for this, you can ask any friend to sign. Then you apply for non-dom status, this means that you are not native, that your parents are not from here. Seems like for this stage you need a stamped rental contract, I am still into this. This gives you 0% on dividends. This makes sense if you have a Cyprus company that pays dividends. But keep in mind Cyprus is a pain in the a*s. Locals are slow, rules are flexible, mandatory audit, mandatory local secretary. It makes sense only if you live here or you have big volumes

Legal residency = residency card, ability to stay longer than 90 days every 180 days. Makes sense?
You're thinking about this the wrong way.

Instead of "Legal residency" you are talking about "long-term residency visas". You don't need those to be a resident/tax resident. You just have to fill the requirements one way or another

Reactions: JohnDones
Yes, and actually you don't need a company for that. You apply for tax residency if you can stay in Cyprus for 60 days and not stay in any other country for 180 days. You only need a rental contract for this, you can ask any friend to sign. Then you apply for non-dom status, this means that you are not native, that your parents are not from here. Seems like for this stage you need a stamped rental contract, I am still into this. This gives you 0% on dividends. This makes sense if you have a Cyprus company that pays dividends. But keep in mind Cyprus is a pain in the a*s. Locals are slow, rules are flexible, mandatory audit, mandatory local secretary. It makes sense only if you live here or you have big volumes
OK thanks that makes sense. Sorry I hijacked your thread for a moment I'll make a new one for my questions.

Are you in Cyprus right now sorting the contract and non Dom out? I'm here too.

Curious why don't you get a pink slip residency in Cyprus?

Seems it is complicated and slow now for Russians. I was told I will see my ID card in a year or get rejected. Do you think I should consult some other people? Who?
I will be in Cyprus in a week or two
Argh that sucks. I'd probably consult with a few people, I've been getting a lot of conflicting information. Maybe all of it is true and nobody really knows what the exact process or system is. It's down to finding a kickass lawyer who will bribe whoever is needed to get the job done.

You only need a rental contract for this, you can ask any friend to sign. Then you apply for non-dom status,
Lots of Germans have posted videos on youtube advising to rent only properties for which you can register electricity, gas or water in your name because tax authorities and banks will ask for it (mobile phone contract is not sufficient anymore). But I'm not sure whether this is because of German or Cypriot tax authorities.
I planned to move to Cyprus as well but gave up for this year because the rental market is getting more and more difficult these days (apparently because of an exodus of wealthy Russians/Ukrainians/Chinese but also Germans all wanting to relocate there). That might explain why it is difficult to get an appointment with the migration office right now. Is has not necessarily to do with nationality.

Lots of Germans have posted videos on youtube advising to rent only properties for which you can register electricity, gas or water in your name because tax authorities and banks will ask for it (mobile phone contract is not sufficient anymore). But I'm not sure whether this is because of German or Cypriot tax authorities.
I planned to move to Cyprus as well but gave up for this year because the rental market is getting more and more difficult these days (apparently because of an exodus of wealthy Russians/Ukrainians/Chinese but also Germans all wanting to relocate there). That might explain why it is difficult to get an appointment with the migration office right now. Is has not necessarily to do with nationality.
i can confirm that cyprus is a big thing as an emigration country in germany since a few years. there are hundreds of youtube channels promoting it. also these have problems to get a local bank account... furthermore the heat in summer should not be underestimated, the costs of living anyway.

gauging from your responses, your best option would be UAE visa. Super cheap, super fast - you only need to visit once every 6 months to maintain it.

For a 2nd passport, Vanuatu is the only option for Russians now, it can be done in 2-3 months or there are some less-legal options too..

Reactions: troubled soul
Have the same situation, Russian passport and not Russian residency.
I was also exploring UAE option like a freelance visa, but its also not so clear actually.

First there are already a lot of rumors, that UAE banks also started to refuse opening accounts for russian passport holders even when you had an ID and residence. So it can take some time to find a bank that will finally open it after all the checks.

The second, actually, as far as I know, even to get that visa you need to spend ~2-3 weeks + some to get an ID.
Opening bank account can also take a couple of weeks, so the whole project is ~1-1,5 months.

I do not know how is it done in other countries, but in KZ I opened an account in 20 minutes.