Our valued sponsor

Should I avoid working for customers from my home country?

DaveFischer

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm from a small Northern European country, I regularly get the chance to work a juicy contract for the government or for a large corporation from home, while sitting on my a*s all day.

Will accepting customers from my home country increase the chances that I'll get problems with the tax services of my native country, even though that I'm no longer a tax resident and living abroad as a digital nomad and operating through an offshore company?

I'm planning to change my personal tax residency to a HNWI Georgian Tax Residency, while very little time in Georgia.

Should I completely avoid accepting government contracts or even all contracts from my home country to decrease the chances that my country wants to see money from me?

It all depends on how long you have been out of the country for.
Georgia HNWI is not as attractive as it sounds compared to Malta and UAE, its will cost you a minimum of $15-20K per year as a minimum when all is said and done.
Plus for nomad its slightly prohibitive as you still need to spend about 40 days in Georgia (I think but will double check). Unless there is something else taking you there look at the other 2 options.

Will accepting customers from my home country increase the chances that I'll get problems with the tax services of my native country, even though that I'm no longer a tax resident and living abroad as a digital nomad and operating through an offshore company?

It really depends on the laws of your home country and your specific situation. If you want a proper answer, you need to talk to a lawyer. Any other advice isn’t very useful.

Reactions: sargentshallots
Agreed, if OP tells us what country he is from (I would assume Denmark) we can assist.
Definitely confirm with the Tax office themselves, they will give you exactly what you need to do, to be no longer classed as tax resident.
If he does not live in his home country and has fulfilled all the exit requirements to no longer be a tax resident he should be fine. Its irrelevant that his client is the government unless it clearly states in the terms that you must be a tax payer in said country as part of the award process.
I would surmise that he is a subbie for a local firm who gets the main contract and then he gets a nice chunk of the business.

No, we can’t assist. A lawyer can.

Once you’re properly no longer tax resident, it should be fine. But it’s not only about tax residency, there can be other anti-avoidance rules as well, specific rules in DTA’s that apply, lots of things that we would know nothing about.
Just spend the $200 or something on a call with a lawyer and get an answer you can rely on.

Latest Threads