Our valued sponsor

Should I leave myself off child's birth certificate?

drpreobrazhensky

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site
Hi gents,

I'm a US citizen with a foreign girlfriend (Eastern European).

We both live together in Southeast Asia.

We have a 3-month old son.

My plan in the next few years is to acquire a Citizenship by Investment in the Caribbean for the 3 of us, and then to renounce my US citizenship.

My girlfriend (practically my wife—just not legally) is wonderful, and we've never had so much as a fight.

While she's never given me any reason to distrust her, I've been alive long enough to know that things can flip on a dime, people change, and the right move is to always cover your butt.

For that reason, I'm hesitant to put my name on the birth certificate because I don't want to furnish any proof of paternity to the US authorities.

I seriously doubt she would ever try to leverage proof of paternity into a US citizenship for herself (she's lived there and didn't like it), nor use it to get some kind of child support / alimony in the case of our splitting up.

However, it would still be bad form to even put myself in that position, no matter how slight the risk.

Our son will get citizenship from her home country but I will not confer US citizenship onto him.

In the next few years we'll go for our CBI.

My partner is understandably upset that she has to go through the naturalization process with her home embassy pretending that her child is misbegotten.

And while it pains me to put her in this position, it's my duty to provide for my family and secure our freedom long term.

And more than that, to do so because I CHOSE to, not because a gun is held to my head; and I intend to do so no matter what happens in our relationship because I do in fact love them both.

But the US government is a juggernaut I'd rather not get myself or my family enmeshed with any further, even something seemingly meaningless like the birth certificate.

Maybe some of you guys have been through similar situations and can offer a few words of wisdom.

Are there any practical consequences to omitting myself from the birth certificate?

Anything I'm missing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you do the Caribbean CBI, don’t you have to prove your child is your child. Without your name on the paper, how can you include “your child” to get the CBI as well?

Generally in the future, if you obtain any other citizenships it may be hard to confer them onto your child if there is no link between you two.

Reactions: meze99
If you don't put your name as a father, and are not officially married, you will have to pay double for two separate CBI applications. I'm not sure that you are even allowed to finance someone else's CBI, I'd say they will refuse your girlfriend's application because she won't pass due diligence (owns nothing).

If you do the Caribbean CBI, don’t you have to prove your child is your child. Without your name on the paper, how can you include “your child” to get the CBI as well?

Generally in the future, if you obtain any other citizenships it may be hard to confer them onto your child if there is no link between you two.

Couldn't you simply verify paternity with a DNA test?

If you don't put your name as a father, and are not officially married, you will have to pay double for two separate CBI applications. I'm not sure that you are even allowed to finance someone else's CBI, I'd say they will refuse your girlfriend's application because she won't pass due diligence (owns nothing).

Interesting, so you have to be legally married in order to add your spouse to one of the CBI programs?

Are there no other ways to prove that someone is in fact your legitimate spouse short of legal marriage?

You need to weigh up pros and cons.

Thanks.

Just check with some of the CBIs what documents they require. I think they will be quite strict as it’s cheaper for a family than for example for two separate applicants. If you aren’t married and no link to the child they will not accept an application as a family and it will cost double. Otherwise random couples could just combine their applications…
CBI is a business after all, they are there to make money.

Reactions: drpreobrazhensky
This is something that keeps me up at night.

Wife recently had two kids (twins), naturally they are my nationality by birth, but until you apply for a passport for them the Gov in the UK doesn't really care.

At some point the UK Gov will have to raid overseas citizens to pay the interest on the debt whilst they generate more debt.

As it stands kids can get everything relatively tax free.. if they start going for their citizenship (or rather making the UK aware) at some point they may end up having to pay tax to a country they have not yet decided to make their home or other.

Basically west is dying, saddling kids with the tax/debt/rest is something they need to make as a decision themselves when they are old enough IMO.

No, this sounds like turbo issues for the kid in the future.

Let the kid be American, then fix your liability issues with your girl in a different way.

Renounce after the kid has a physical passport and SSN
The OP should have rubbered up 12 months ago. wtf - you have a child because you wanted one and you worried about child support, f**k this - dont have them if you cant afford them.... f**k me , id divorce you and i am a man

Reactions: TheCryptoAnt
Not that easy always @ShillGates but thanks for your well spelled explanation.

The OP should have rubbered up 12 months ago. wtf - you have a child because you wanted one and you worried about child support, f**k this - dont have them if you cant afford them.... f**k me , id divorce you and i am a man

Thanks for your comment, but I think you've misunderstood the situation.

I can afford my child and spouse just fine, she doesn't work and raises our offspring full time, and we're very happy.

Furthermore, I will *always* take care of my family no matter what happens.

That is an obligation that I chose of my own free will, happily and under no duress.

What I object to, however, is a 3rd party (the state) holding a gun to my head, inserting themselves in my personal affairs, perverting the incentives to reconcile with my spouse in the event that we ever become estranged (or even get along with each other in the first place), and turning me into an indentured servant according to THEIR ideas of what's best for each of us.

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the punitive and toxic nature of family law in the US and (understandably) conflate a desire to avoid its clutches with the shirking of personal responsibility.

I can assure you that in this case the reality is quite the opposite.

No, this sounds like turbo issues for the kid in the future.

Let the kid be American, then fix your liability issues with your girl in a different way.

Renounce after the kid has a physical passport and SSN

I myself want to get rid of US citizenship, why would I confer it to my child?

Like what would be the pros / cons in your judgement?

you posted
"
While she's never given me any reason to distrust her, I've been alive long enough to know that things can flip on a dime, people change, and the right move is to always cover your butt.

For that reason, I'm hesitant to put my name on the birth certificate because I don't want to furnish any proof of paternity to the US authorities.
"

sorry but what else does it look like then, well I dont want to give any rights to my wife, ex wife whatever once things go s**t up. and then you say ;

"What I object to, however, is a 3rd party (the state) holding a gun to my head, inserting themselves in my personal affairs, perverting the incentives to reconcile with my spouse in the event that we ever become estranged (or even get along with each other in the first place), and turning me into an indentured servant according to THEIR ideas of what's best for each of us."

Have you ever asked your wife what she wants? Takes two to tango and as for your child, you say;
"nor use it to get some kind of child support / alimony in the case of our splitting up."

You say you will never do anything wrong to your child or family so whats the effing difference? What are you talking about?

Sounds to me you want to avoid your wife/child to get a US passport to avoid them to be able to take legal action against you something..... a rubber would have been cheaper.

You got to stop thinking about the money for a second and do whats right what everyone wants, and for sake of clarity, your child might would loved having a usa passport, at least they get to decide at a later date IF to keep it or renounce it.

Get a prenup and - have you seen anyone been buried with a safe full of money.

What are you living for?

personal rant over have a good life

I myself want to get rid of US citizenship, why would I confer it to my child?

Like what would be the pros / cons in your judgement?

He can decide to renounce when hes of age. You are making a life changing decision for a person who cannot understand the full scope of it.

What if he doesnt care about taxes? Nor the governemnt? and just wants to live there?

If you get a CBI you have to pay for your kids to be included most of the time. Most CBI programs dont offer jus sanguinis rights to the passport.

Last edited:
He can decide to renounce when hes of age.
That’s not so easy unfortunately and will become harder and harder in the future.
You are making a life changing decision for a person who cannot understand the full scope of it.
He might cause less damage by not giving his kid US citizenship.
What if he doesnt care about taxes? Nor the governemnt?
Hopefully he will care and will start reading this forum at young age.

you posted
"

"

sorry but what else does it look like then, well I dont want to give any rights to my wife, ex wife whatever once things go s**t up. and then you say ;

"What I object to, however, is a 3rd party (the state) holding a gun to my head, inserting themselves in my personal affairs, perverting the incentives to reconcile with my spouse in the event that we ever become estranged (or even get along with each other in the first place), and turning me into an indentured servant according to THEIR ideas of what's best for each of us."

Have you ever asked your wife what she wants? Takes two to tango and as for your child, you say;
"nor use it to get some kind of child support / alimony in the case of our splitting up."

You say you will never do anything wrong to your child or family so whats the effing difference? What are you talking about?

Sounds to me you want to avoid your wife/child to get a US passport to avoid them to be able to take legal action against you something..... a rubber would have been cheaper.

You got to stop thinking about the money for a second and do whats right what everyone wants, and for sake of clarity, your child might would loved having a usa passport, at least they get to decide at a later date IF to keep it or renounce it.

Get a prenup and - have you seen anyone been buried with a safe full of money.

What are you living for?

personal rant over have a good life

You sir, are exactly the kind of dangerous do gooder that I wish to get and stay far away from.