Our valued sponsor

Should I leave myself off child's birth certificate?

Everyone, except OP, which one of us here would want an American passport/citizenship today? :rolleyes:
Why not? It's a strong passport and gives you freedom to live in the US.

You don't have to live in the part of the US that you don't like. You can live in a part that fits your lifestyle. And as long as you make a good effort, there's a place in the US for practically everyone where you'll be accepted and welcomed.

One of the best places in the world for doing business.

Taxes really aren't too bad if your income is through capital gains. You can pick a state with low or zero taxes so you're only subject to federal tax. Then you can use a lot of legal tricks to get your effective tax down significantly.

Of course, if you disagree with the US on basis of politics, ethics, culture, or whatever, then don't go get a US passport/residence. But I think a lot of people might be dismissing the US a bit too rashly.

For example, which ones?
No personal income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Wyoming.

No corporate income tax: South Dakota, Wyoming.

No sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon.

No capital gains tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Wyoming.

Don't take that as gospel. Double check. Just copy-pasted from some recent-ish notes.

• Love
Reactions: mraleph and jafo
I myself want to get rid of US citizenship, why would I confer it to my child?
Even with all the ‘West is dying’ etc - don’t you think that US/Western passports are like a golden ticket for children and people who don’t earn much?

They still are the best places to live and most people in the world would kill for one.

It only becomes ‘golden handcuffs’ once you are rich/high earning…

Reactions: jafo
Even with all the ‘West is dying’ etc - don’t you think that US/Western passports are like a golden ticket for children and people who don’t earn much?

They still are the best places to live and most people in the world would kill for one.

well said.

well said.

I can't speak of Europe with much knowledge except that all of my family there is doing poorly and going through a hard time.

The US used to be great for starters. I was there in the '80s, '90s, and beginning 2000s. I started noticing a slight decline at the end of the '90s.

With very few exceptions, the children of my former college buddies are really struggling, and most are living at home or sharing an apartment with other young people.

This is basically what I hear from hundreds of offspring of my friends I left behind...

The frustration is at an all-time high... I hope it changes. The place was a wonderful place for me. I made numerous lifelong friends there.

Also, there is this, but this isn't Biden's fault. Trump can't fix this either. The Mega Corps are fleecing Americans for everything they are worth...

You sir, are exactly the kind of dangerous do gooder that I wish to get and stay far away from.
NGL, I didn't realize how f*cking BRILLIANT OP was. I missed this response of him to the quidnunc! rof/% smi(&%

Goddamn! OP, I know you haven't been around the forum in a while, but when you wrote this, you ALREADY knew the answer to your question WAY before you posted it! You, yourself, are living OUTSIDE the USA. If it were so great in your OWN eyes, you would be living in the USA. You aren't, and it is for a very good reason! ;)

Nobody here will help your child or you when sh1t hits the fan. Or conscription. Wake up!

Why go into a deal with NO immediate financial upsides?
1721802896278.webp

This is a hard "NO" for me!

Do you want to help your child? Teach him about finances and how the world really works! No Disney fantasy BS. Buy ETFs for him from a young age. Nothing says "I love you, son" more than an 8-digit stock portfolio! rof/% smi(&%

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyDoe