Our valued sponsor

Zelda

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
Hello Everyone,
I am a foreigner living in Germany with student status, I have been doing business online and made some money.
But as a student, I should not be doing that as it's considered illegal, the only activity that I am allowed to do is work at McDonald's and get paid hourly!

I have paid consultation with a lawyer to see what can I do to switch my student visa to a self-employed visa! He gave me some options which all of which are a big no.
I have to work for another company for some time, which I cannot do because my business comes first.
And after many talks, he concluded that it would be a miracle to get it switched. (from student residence to self-employed residency)
There is another solution he suggested which is change visa from student to jobseeker, then you can apply for self-employed which is also not sure.

I have enough capital to start a business and fail and be comfortable. And I will also consider moving to other countries if Germany doesn't accept me. I feel discriminated in a way. That I can't switch visas in a capitalist country with free-market
but I guess I am just a foreigner to them. I will do my best to get it switched. If not, I'll consider other countries that treat me well.

The big problem here is the citizenship, I have a Moroccan passport, but I want the German one.
So, either I have to stay and abide by their rules and wait 3 more years to apply for it, but just to apply I have to fulfill other conditions like paying contributions to state by paying taxes, I have never worked legally in Germany as a student so all the money I get is labelled as parent's help ;) "Elterngeld ",
Or get out to a tax haven like Dubai and continue my life with a Moroccan pass, which is not that powerful. I have spent 6 years already here, and I feel like I should get the German passport...

The business idea is a startup idea that has to do with my study, which legally I am allowed to apply for and get it. But 2 lawyers said that it gets rejected most of the time.
The business idea is different from what I am doing now, which is ecommerce. It's possible to get self-employed in Germany only if your business idea has to do with your degree, this is the only reason I want to apply with this business idea.
Any insight or advice or info on how to get the switch in Germany is greatly appreciated, I'm a young person and this decision will play a big role in my future. Also, I haven't been going to school for 2 years now, I am just registered as a student but no going. This also may be a problem :/
Thank you, guys, I trust you with my life.

Reactions: JohnLocke
But as a student, I should not be doing that as it's considered illegal, the only activity that I am allowed to do is work at McDonald's and get paid hourly!
Also, I haven't been going to school for 2 years now, I am just registered as a student but no going. This also may be a problem :/
So you have broken the conditions of your visa. You're playing with fire here. Your visa hasn't been valid for probably two years, and that might come up if you try to switch it. They may ask to see documents from your institute of education to process a switch.

Even if this is discovered under the friendliest of circumstances, those two years of residence may not count as years of residence since it wasn't valid.

I have enough capital to start a business and fail and be comfortable.
Do you have enough to buy Maltese passport? Just under a million EUR should cover all fees and leave some margin.

So, either I have to stay and abide by their rules and wait 3 more years to apply for it, but just to apply I have to fulfill other conditions like paying contributions to state by paying taxes, I have never worked legally in Germany as a student so all the money I get is labelled as parent's help ;) "Elterngeld ",
So you have committed some form of fraud. Not very wise. Just more problems that risk coming up in case of an in-depth review of your status and financial situation in case of a visa/status switch.

The business idea is a startup idea that has to do with my study, which legally I am allowed to apply for and get it. But 2 lawyers said that it gets rejected most of the time.
The business idea is different from what I am doing now, which is ecommerce. It's possible to get self-employed in Germany only if your business idea has to do with your degree, this is the only reason I want to apply with this business idea.
What if you find a local partner to form a company with, transition your business into that company, and use that to become employed or self-employed? Discuss the details with a lawyer to ensure it isn't done fraudulently.

Any insight or advice or info on how to get the switch in Germany is greatly appreciated, I'm a young person and this decision will play a big role in my future.
Despite an active startup scene in several cities, Germany's bureaucracy is not aligned with that reality. Your application for a switch is likely to be unsuccessful. The lawyers you have spoken to have said as much.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Germany is the country with the worldwide highest taxes and fees for self-employed people. What do you want there if you really have enough money for your business? Almost everywhere else outside Europe you can do better. If you really like Europe, consider GB, Portugal, Romania or Bulgaria. I also agree, if you wish to have a German Passport, you should get married and study the language (most difficult), and that's it.

Latest Threads