Our valued sponsor

Studying in Japan. How about taxes?

Naofumi

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
Hello guys! First I'm sorry for my english!
I've been reading about making an LLC and seems interesting.
Currently I'm living in Japan as "international student". So I was thinking about making a "dropshipping shop" (already bought the hosting) but I'm worried about some things...
-How about my taxes? I'm thinking about New Mexico, so I just need to declare in the country I'm living (Japan). The problem is I've read if you're not permanent resident, you don't declare the income from other countries, only if you SENT it to your japanese accounts.
-I've read this in the forum "VAT for physical products is determined by where the products are shipped from, not where the company is registered or payment is received." Is it true? I don't need to put the VAT? (Aliexpress products).
-Since I'm thinking in not send the money to Japan, can I use the money from my LLC account to pay online or make a withdraw here? Do you know some bank with low rate for the international withdraws and easy to open the account by online? (Mercury etc)

Thank you for your time :)

Usually stays for the study purposes (exchange semester etc.) and health purposes (spas etc.) do not change your original residency.

Japan doesn't really change anything in your situation, what really matters is your home country (where you lived before moving) and what company you form. You can form an US LLC if you want but most likely it won't change liability towards your home country.

Regarding Japanese authorities, you are officially a student to them and you don't need to declare your international income obviously. Also most likely if you are on student visa, this visa will have some condition such as that you are not allowed to work locally.

Usually stays for the study purposes (exchange semester etc.) and health purposes (spas etc.) do not change your original residency. Japan doesn't really change anything in your situation, what really matters is your home country (where you lived before moving) and what company you form. You can form an US LLC if you want but most likely it won't change liability towards your home country. Regarding Japanese authorities, you are officially a student to them and you don't need to declare your international income obviously. Also most likely if you are on student visa, this visa will have some condition such as that you are not allowed to work locally.
Thank you for your reply!
I'm with the "exchange student visa" because it's the only one for people who are studying, but I'm not an real exchange student. I'm studying japanese in a language school. After that I'll study a vocational school and I'll have the same visa. I have to declare my income inside Japan and also the one I sent to Japan.
After more than half year living here, I'm suppose to be a fiscal resident here, even If I'm student, I have to pay here, not in my country.
When you enter to the country you can apply to the "permission to engage in activity other than that permitted in status of residence previously granted", so you can work 28 hours in a week even freelance stuff.
So what about VAT, bank etc?

Last edited:

Latest Threads