Our valued sponsor

Tax resident in Canada, earning money in US

basicbased

Oct 27, 2023
Canada
Visit site
If I get paid by US customers and deposit the cheques in a checking account in a US bank (most notably one that won’t earn $10 in interest per year), will this get reported to the Canadian tax authority? My understanding from the fatca agreement that the two countries have is that as long as the account is a deposit account that doesn’t earn interest, it won’t get reported automatically.

I don't know if I'm reading this wrong, but https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/131/FATCA-Agreement-Canada-2-5-2014.pdf says

bb) The term “Canadian Reportable Account” means a Financial Accountmaintained by a Reporting U.S. Financial Institution if:

(1) in the case of a Depository Account, the account is held by an individualresident in Canada and more than $10 of interest is paid to such account inany given calendar year; or

(2) in the case of a Financial Account other than a Depository Account, theAccount Holder is a resident of Canada, including an Entity that certifiesthat it is resident in Canada for tax purposes, with respect to which U.S.source income that is subject to reporting under chapter 3 of subtitle A orchapter 61 of subtitle F of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code is paid orcredited.

and

b) In the case of the United States, with respect to each Canadian Reportable Account of each Reporting U.S. Financial Institution:

(1) the name, address, and Canadian TIN of any person that is a resident ofCanada and is an Account Holder of the account;

(2) the account number (or the functional equivalent in the absence of anaccount number);

(3) the name and identifying number of the Reporting U.S. FinancialInstitution;

(4) the gross amount of interest paid on a Depository Account;

(5) the gross amount of U.S. source dividends paid or credited to the account;and

(6) the gross amount of other U.S. source income paid or credited to theaccount, to the extent subject to reporting under chapter 3 of subtitle A orchapter 61 of subtitle F of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Latest Threads