Our valued sponsor

thoughs on relocation

freeman

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,
this seems like an interesting forum full of experienced people. I'd like to get your opinions.

I'm 40+, wife, kids, living in Europe, sick of watching Europe heading to hell, except common family ties no more reasons to stay and wait for worse times.
Not 'working' anymore but running some honeypot companies to fit in and justify the life style, not ultra rich but having serious 7 figure savings from past 20 years, getting higher 6 figures a year from sports betting which is my only 'daily' business, other sources of passive income from shares in companies and other investments. I'm also in crypto (decently).

We have seen quite a lot including staying abroad for a few months.
We are thinking of relocation for a couple of years but (for some too specific reasons I'm not willing to share) we are maybe too demanding :| and it's possible that in todays world there is no suitable place anymore.

Key requirements:
* warm pleasant climate (no problem with humid tropic places) during the whole year or at least during European winter
* high quality of accessible health care (not expecting free public health care though)
* decent level of political stability and civilization especially in respect to personal freedom, religious and racial issues
* gambling friendly jurisdiction
* general safety - if my only options is living in a gated community behind the electric fence then it's not the right place
* territorial tax system or at least 'tax friendly'

We tend to prefer but don't require:
* islands
* English speaking countries, also Spanish is pretty much acceptable and gives more options
* western world life style (which could easily mean pretty different things to different people :D)
* as much as possible freedom and small state intervention into human life (which is probably an illusion these days all around the world though)
* enough space to breath - want to avoid highly populated and tourist places and cities
* good travelling options to Europe

Recently I have also experienced some very disturbing thing regarding the covid bulls**t and lost my last illusions about what the governments are capable of... hence the way how they dealt with the situation is another key input for me and would like to hear about your personal point of view and experience.

What we are thinking about
Caymans, Bahamas - probably high costs of life but doable I believe
Costa Rica
Panama
Malaysia - a bit worried about the actual level of personal freedom
Caribbean islands like BVI, Antigua, Trinidad and Tobago

in wider range with too many compromises we are considering
Singapore
Canary Islands
Reunion
Australia
New Caledonia
Vietnam
Thailand

Looking for any input, opinions, experience etc.

Thanks

You have a pretty good list there already. Take a look at Uruguay, Taiwan, and Mauritius, if you haven't already.

To your second list with "too many compromises", Philippines. It's a very nuanced country, akin to Malaysia. And since you're open to Canary Islands, look into Azores and Madeira.

Parts of the US might also fit your requirements – more or less. Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, maybe others.

Make sure you go visit and spend a few weeks before moving. Get to know locals/expats. Ask about day to day experiences with schools, healthcare, bureaucracy, and sociopolitical trends that you believe can affect you and your family's long-term goals, happiness, and safety. You'll never get the full picture just from online research.

Reactions: Golden Fleece
I would throw Dubai in there. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. They have had to become a bit more liberal as foreigners outnumber locals by 5-1. If you look at areas like Dubai Hills, Emirates Village and Jumeirah Islands there are some fantastic places to live. These are communities with all the amenities you would require and want.

As a family you wont have any issues with education and health care. There lots of things to do as a family and it's one of the safest places on the planet. I once left my wallet in the restaurant and my friend said dont worry it wont be touched. We returned 6 hours later to find my wallet in exactly the same place I left it.

Yes it is a Muslim country and you have to respect that but I have been going there for the last 15 years. From a single man in his early twenties living there for 3 years to now a family man approaching 40.

If it had not been for personal issues I would be there in the 6 months of the year. Only time not to be there is during Ramadan it's super boring but that is the opportunity to go see another part of the world for a month, visit friends and family.

There are many expat forums that can give you all the answers you may have. It's a lot more liberal than Malaysia and Emirates Airlines have direct flights to the whole world.

I would throw Dubai in there. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. They have had to become a bit more liberal as foreigners outnumber locals by 5-1. If you look at areas like Dubai Hills, Emirates Village and Jumeirah Islands there are some fantastic places to live. These are communities with all the amenities you would require and want.

As a family you wont have any issues with education and health care. There lots of things to do as a family and it's one of the safest places on the planet. I once left my wallet in the restaurant and my friend said dont worry it wont be touched. We returned 6 hours later to find my wallet in exactly the same place I left it.

Yes it is a Muslim country and you have to respect that but I have been going there for the last 15 years. From a single man in his early twenties living there for 3 years to now a family man approaching 40.

If it had not been for personal issues I would be there in the 6 months of the year. Only time not to be there is during Ramadan it's super boring but that is the opportunity to go see another part of the world for a month, visit friends and family.

There are many expat forums that can give you all the answers you may have. It's a lot more liberal than Malaysia and Emirates Airlines have direct flights to the whole world.
Well if he can afford it then Cayman Islands beats the crowd. . Agreed fully with your viewpoints CaptK on Dubai. I would never advise someone to move to USA or Australia. As US resident you would be taxed even if you leave the country for a year or two. Worst could be you will get a green card or citizenship of US and hounded for US taxes until you renounce and chunk to pay on exit taxes if your networth is too high.

Hi guys,
this seems like an interesting forum full of experienced people. I'd like to get your opinions.

I'm 40+, wife, kids, living in Europe, sick of watching Europe heading to hell, except common family ties no more reasons to stay and wait for worse times.
Not 'working' anymore but running some honeypot companies to fit in and justify the life style, not ultra rich but having serious 7 figure savings from past 20 years, getting higher 6 figures a year from sports betting which is my only 'daily' business, other sources of passive income from shares in companies and other investments. I'm also in crypto (decently).

We have seen quite a lot including staying abroad for a few months.
We are thinking of relocation for a couple of years but (for some too specific reasons I'm not willing to share) we are maybe too demanding :| and it's possible that in todays world there is no suitable place anymore.

Key requirements:
* warm pleasant climate (no problem with humid tropic places) during the whole year or at least during European winter
* high quality of accessible health care (not expecting free public health care though)
* decent level of political stability and civilization especially in respect to personal freedom, religious and racial issues
* gambling friendly jurisdiction
* general safety - if my only options is living in a gated community behind the electric fence then it's not the right place
* territorial tax system or at least 'tax friendly'

We tend to prefer but don't require:
* islands
* English speaking countries, also Spanish is pretty much acceptable and gives more options
* western world life style (which could easily mean pretty different things to different people :D)
* as much as possible freedom and small state intervention into human life (which is probably an illusion these days all around the world though)
* enough space to breath - want to avoid highly populated and tourist places and cities
* good travelling options to Europe

Recently I have also experienced some very disturbing thing regarding the covid bulls**t and lost my last illusions about what the governments are capable of... hence the way how they dealt with the situation is another key input for me and would like to hear about your personal point of view and experience.

What we are thinking about
Caymans, Bahamas - probably high costs of life but doable I believe
Costa Rica
Panama
Malaysia - a bit worried about the actual level of personal freedom
Caribbean islands like BVI, Antigua, Trinidad and Tobago

Singapore
Canary Islands
Reunion
Australia
New Caledonia
Vietnam
Thailand

Looking for any input, opinions, experience etc.

Thanks
Canary Islands is part of Spain. Just saying.

Canary Islands is part of Spain. Just saying.

technically speaking Reunion is part of France as well as New Caledonia (which has a special status and is not part of EU/Schengen).

btw Canaries have some special tax regimes and options and from what I remember also Reunion is not pure France speaking about taxes

If I could tell you about the wild parties in Dubai you will be amazed.
where are they I'm on the way....

Singapore
Canary Islands
Reunion
Australia
New Caledonia
Vietnam
Thailand
nice list of valid countries, however, I would not feel well in Australia with the best system in the world in place to hunt down tax evaders.