Our valued sponsor

UAE accounts now require EID to be maintained

Why

Member Plus
Nov 12, 2023
Thailand
Until recently, you could keep your UAE bank account after leaving the country (as long as you were able to keep your UAE mobile number). Well, not anymore.
UAE banks are now making it mandatory to have a valid unexpired Emirates ID if you want to keep your account. Looks like they are going full compliance with OECD, CRS and all that stuff.
I was hoping that since they joined the BRICS they would move away from the western requirements, but no, it’s getting worse.

Looks like they are going full compliance with OECD, CRS and all that stuff.

Sadly they got shafted proper by US....sorry OECD and still have the KY jelly dripping from their hairy asses to prove it. However even long before OECD came in they closed my Citibank UAE account saying they no longer support non-residents and this was years ago.

I was hoping that since they joined the BRICS they would move away from the western requirements, but no, it’s getting worse.

They got a long way to go to escape their dollar addiction and their pegged to the dollar currency setup.

Until recently, you could keep your UAE bank account after leaving the country (as long as you were able to keep your UAE mobile number). Well, not anymore.
UAE banks are now making it mandatory to have a valid unexpired Emirates ID if you want to keep your account. Looks like they are going full compliance with OECD, CRS and all that stuff.

As far as i know, this is nothing new. And you can't keep the UAE number without EID.

Has there been any updates or any official news on this?

I just spoke to ADIB and they didn't mention anything about such a requirement. In fact, they're OK with opening accounts for non-residents from North America without an EID.