Our valued sponsor

US LLC -> US creditcard advice (non resident)

Agreed, but in the states now you can open accounts virtually (with some retails as well as internet/EMI banks) if you live in the US. Not as widespread as other parts of the world yet but you definitely can. One important thing to note, if you show large balances during due diligence, they are a lot nicer to you. ha ha ha. When asked, always stick to addresses etc as it appears on your bank statement. People can have multiple homes but use the US for your primary address in those types of instances is always best.

I have a history with Amex but i am not a US resident and trying to get US amex card, and i would love to get a US Amex card, and yeah they would easily approve me if i have a US address, but i don't have that, i have friends and relatives in US where i can receive the card but they require a address proof, which will be utility bill, bank statement or rent agreement for that address which seems to be an impossible task to get. If anyone can suggest how to get that, or way around it, i would really appreciate that.

Open a checking account, then use the statement as proof of address.
You will have to go to a branch for ID verification, you can’t do that remotely.
Many banks are fine with opening bank accounts for non-residents.

Reactions: hkohli
I recommend Mercury Bank, which is the USA Bank. You can open a bank account for your LLC. You don't have to be a resident in the USA. However, a US address is required to obtain a card. I'm using this road right now. I had no problems.
Mercury is not a bank. It operates similar to an eWallet - EMI. They do provide debit cards on your account. You can apply for a MasterCard via Mercury through First Bank & Trust . All banking services are provided by Evolve Bank & Trust. Mercury is relatively new to the fintech/financial services arena (April 2019).

Amex doesn’t have branches, so they are fine if somebody else has done the work for them. A bank statement from Citi would work for Amex.

Interesting. I have a business bank account with the Bank of Hawaii, so that may work. Only issue is still getting around the residency issue. I have a mailing address for my US LLC but thats just a registered agents address.

What residency issue? If you can show a US bank statement with your name and address, they won’t ask further questions.
You apply for a card online, the application will not be approved automatically. Instead they will ask for tax documents. That’s when you call and explain you’d like to do a “global transfer” as you’re an existing customer and you’ve moved to the US. You provide your card number and that’s it. But you can only do that once, so choose the card you apply for wisely. It’ll take a few months before you’d be approved for another card, as subsequent card applications will be processed based on your US credit history.

Reactions: leaveNet
I have a history with Amex but i am not a US resident and trying to get US amex card, and i would love to get a US Amex card, and yeah they would easily approve me if i have a US address, but i don't have that, i have friends and relatives in US where i can receive the card but they require a address proof, which will be utility bill, bank statement or rent agreement for that address which seems to be an impossible task to get. If anyone can suggest how to get that, or way around it, i would really appreciate that.

Google FI will happily accept your friends address and serves as a valid utility bill in the US...

Reactions: hkohli
The thing with TransferWise is I don’t know if you get an individual account nor if they support ACH debits.
The scrutiny I wouldn’t worry too much about (but of course it certainly won’t be easier now than before) because you will be approved based on your previous customer relationship with Amex.
I would try to get a personal bank account in the US first. I guess could use a Google Fi bill as proof of address if needed, but many banks don’t require that for opening a checking account. And then the bank statement would be your proof of address for Amex.

The thing with TransferWise is I don’t know if you get an individual account nor if they support ACH debits.
The scrutiny I wouldn’t worry too much about (but of course it certainly won’t be easier now than before) because you will be approved based on your previous customer relationship with Amex.
I would try to get a personal bank account in the US first. I guess could use a Google Fi bill as proof of address if needed, but many banks don’t require that for opening a checking account. And then the bank statement would be your proof of address for Amex.

For a personal account, in the US, with all MAJOR banks, you have to provide your ID (DL or passport) plus proof of address (utility bill, credit card bill, voter registration, lease/mortgage proof, etc) is MANDATORY for an account to be open. It will also be scanned/checked via AI to make sure it has not been tampered with (photo-shopped).

They will obviously check your ID, possibly several types of ID. But I know at least one MAJOR bank that is perfectly fine with opening account for non-residents with no utility bill (=tourists). They will also ask for your visa and make a copy of your passport. But I have written enough already, not everything needs to be on a public forum.
Just try different banks and if necessary, just get a Google Fi subscription or some other cellphone plan to open your first bank account. After that, the bank statement would be your utility bill.

Chase will absolutely open you an account soley based on foreign passport + google fi as address statement. You can literally tell them when you walk into the bank that you dont have a US address but a google fi on your friends address and they will do it (maybe dont but yes I did...) Compliance actually signed off on it instantly. Not the first bank / branch to do that. As stated before though that was with with 75k premier or what it is called.

No credit card without social security or tax id though.

I opened a Wells Fargo checking account with the apartment hotel lease I had when I was in New York.
It still works till today (about 5 years), I only use it when I'm in the US and sometimes when paying for something in the US online.

I never keep anymore than 500 on it.

I recommend Mercury Bank, which is the USA Bank. You can open a bank account for your LLC. You don't have to be a resident in the USA. However, a US address is required to obtain a card. I'm using this road right now. I had no problems.
Hey, wondering how its going with Mercury bank? Do you have a non-us LLC? How is tax reporting? Which state is your LLC? thanks !

If you have an existing business relationship with Citibank or Amex from another country, it’s extremely easy.
It seems like this doesn't work with getting business credit cards, it says on the Amex Global Transfer site "American Express Corporate Cards and American Express Cards issued by Banks other than an American Express Bank are not eligible through this Card application process."

Latest Threads