Our valued sponsor

What's better, proxy or VPN for anonymity?

You may either use a VPN or a VPS the latter is the most optimal for hiding your activity and IP, since you login to another server (VPS = Virtual Private Server) and from there login to your banking, SEO tools or whatever the purpose is for this setup.

Reactions: clemens
...why will I want to use a VPN ?
VPN is the easier route, as you only need to install a software and make a payment. Each time you log in to a VPN, you can choose a country most suitable for your purposes. Some VPN providers have also specialty servers for P2P traffic, double/multi-hop VPN etc. Many VPN providers accept payment in bitcoin.

I've used at least PIA (Private Internet Access), Mullvad, AirVPN, Proton VPN, TrueVPN and NordVPN (<- my favorite). You can use some of the Proton VPN's servers for free just to see how it works. Then later become a paying customer (for more options) with them or some other provider.

(In the unlikely case you need absolute, total privacy, choose your VPN carefully and consider other privacy tricks such as e.g. running Tor over VPN; using also public access Wifi or prepaid unregisterd WiFi etc.)

If you guys think you can get anonymity for $50-100 per year via VPN then think again. If something goes wrong you are first going to be screwed with logs handed over. You would have to use dual or triple VPN connections (multi-hops) all from different providers and just hope for the best.

Reactions: eric8