Our valued sponsor

Where buying properties owned by 'easy ownership transfer companies' ?

OffshoreResearch

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
In the past I heard a lot about people buying real estate in Europe and registering each property to a diff. delaware company to take advantage of the easy ownership transfer/no tax advantage at the time of selling them.
Now it's no longer possible because almost no EU bank will open an account to a Delaware company but I guess there're still thousands of properties potentially for sale with their associated companies.

What's the advantage and what I mean exactly ?
Buying a luxury property already owned by a Delaware company is the best way to avoid real estate purchase taxes (for the buyer) and sales taxes (for the seller) having no need to meet a local notary considering the new owner will just become the sole company shareholder.

I suppose there're also other countries offering similar advantages (low cost registration/maintenance companies that you may transfer at the time you'll sell the related property).

Is there any marketplace/broker/lawfirm who may help to locate this kind of 'hassle-free ownership transfer properties' currently available for sale ?

I don't need to buy properties anonymously just to be clear but I'm simply looking for a legit way to save on purchase taxes and to make ownership transfer as easy as possible.

For instance, I've an apartment owned by an UK company at the moment and I think it's quite easy selling it once I should decide to do so considering I'll just need to transfer all company rights in favor of the new administrator/shareholder so I'm looking for other opportunities like this.

I'm clearly looking for interesting properties at reasonable prices with a good location and not just for anything for sale at the above conditions.

Is there any marketplace/broker/lawfirm who may help to locate this kind of 'hassle-free ownership transfer properties' currently available for sale ?

Depends on which end of market your looking at and which country. But Knight Frank does high end stuff where you can ask them for properties held in corporate structures if they know your serious. A lot of Asian buyers bought property in past this way and maybe looking to offload.

But you need to update yourself on each European countries current laws on owning property via a company. You want to avoid any misconceptions about what would have worked 2 or 3 years ago.

For instance, I've an apartment owned by an UK company at the moment and I think it's quite easy selling it once I should decide to do so considering I'll just need to transfer all company rights in favor of the new administrator/shareholder so I'm looking for other opportunities like this.

Unfortunately its no longer the case :(. In UK some taxes you can no longer avoid, when using a company, like capital gains tax when selling the shares and inheritance tax. The tax laws changed in UK a while back to close that loophole.

P.S In general I would not go near Europe or specifically EU and UK for owning property in an offshore company.

Reactions: JohnnyDoe
In reply to the above discussion, I'm surely serious with my intentions to invest in a single nice property (penthouse or small villa) with a budget a bit under €1M so it's crucial finding the right investment (worth my money) by paying attention to the involved property purchase taxes.

I've an apartment outside UK (in an EU country) but still owned by my UK company.
So once I should transfer company ownership to a third party I'll have to pay some taxes ?

The transaction will be made privately between me and the new company owner, funds will go on my own personal account (offshore account) but UK will still charge a tax once its shares will move to new hands if the company owns some properties outside the UK ?
Never considered this point honestly.

I'll double check current laws in few countries of my possible interest before starting a serious search for the right property to invest on.

I've an apartment outside UK (in an EU country) but still owned by my UK company.
So once I should transfer company ownership to a third party I'll have to pay some taxes ?

Oh...apologies. As the apartment is actually not in the UK but it is a foreign property in a UK company then my points are irrelevant to your situation.

The transaction will be made privately between me and the new company owner, funds will go on my own personal account (offshore account) but UK will still charge a tax once its shares will move to new hands if the company owns some properties outside the UK ?
Never considered this point honestly.

No problem with that. Issue is if property is UK based so what I said does not apply to your situation.

However check each countries latest laws especially in EU regarding owning property in corporate structures when it comes to taxes on transfer etc.

In the Czech Republic, no real estate transfer tax is payable. There is no need to use the services of a notary to purchase real estate. A very low property tax is paid each year. In the case of the sale of real estate, a profit tax of 15%-23% is paid.

That's fine Martin, thanks for clarifying better this situation so I feel much better now :)

BaXtrM, Czech Republic has indeed some interesting advantages for real estate buyers while having to pay upto 23% on the profit is the minor issue. I'll probably study a bit more this market in the near future. Never visited this country but it may be a good idea planning a travel there in 2023 :)

Latest Threads